Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » So what is the "right roof"?

So what is the "right roof"?

Biden talking about HI fires:
“If you fly over these areas that have burned to the Ground you will see 20 homes totally destroyed - with one home sitting there because it had the right roof on it”

Posted - March 2

Responses

It probably had ceramic or fire resistant roofing.  Roofs with wooden shingles (and the like) don't do well in fires.
      March 2, 2024 7:06 PM MST

No external or structural flammable materials and a functional sprinkler system. Like the one my father built and still lives in - steel framed brick veneer, colourbond steel roof, detachable iron shutters, spinklers gravity fed from a rainwater tank uphill from the house. In the "Black Summer" fires a few years ago, Dad stayed put when the rest of the street was evacuated and after the fire had very few neighbours - the houses on both sides burned to the ground but all he had to worry about was smoke blackened brickwork and a few heat-warped steel sheets on the roof. He sat in the bathtub and waited it out, with the sprinklers on trickle keeping the roof damp to deal with flying embers known locally as "spot fires" - he lives on a hillside overlooking a gully so the fire front swept past very quickly.
      March 2, 2024 10:51 PM MST

Spanish tiles seem like a good choice to me.  California has many houses with them, they look great.

March 3, 2024 4:20 AM MST

Tin roof. Rusted.
      March 3, 2024 2:12 PM MST

That would add a certain flare, in nicer neighborhoods. 
      March 3, 2024 2:52 PM MST

See my reply to Slartibartfast for further thoughts of mine. :)
      March 4, 2024 6:53 PM MST

You're WHAT?!
      March 4, 2024 6:47 PM MST

I admit I don't understand your reply but I still like it.  :)

All I know is that the first thing to come to my mind with the question (before even reading the added smaller words) was the "Tin roof, rusted" lyrics from B-52's "Love Shack."  :)
      March 4, 2024 6:52 PM MST

Please excuse my other reply to your reply!
    I literally woke up, in the middle of the night for me -- your reply hit me immediately. And from where it came was OBVIOUS to me - - HOW could I have missed it? I'm an idiot lately. Geez. 

Thanks for adding to my fun. 

:)
      March 5, 2024 1:54 AM MST

Lol.   Even though I don't like the song.  
      March 5, 2024 6:48 AM MST

"One decision that may have unknowingly helped it survive the wildfire — the deadliest in the US in more than a century — was replacing the asphalt roof with one made out of heavy-gauge metal, she told the LA paper."

https://nypost.com/2023/08/21/owner-of-mauis-unscathed-red-house-explains-why-it-survived/

There were other things the owners did that helped keep the house from burning.  You can read that in the link to the article.
      March 4, 2024 6:29 AM MST

If you live in fire prone area it's important to keep any brush cleared and have a perimeter around the house clear of flamables.  At the edge of the perimeter keep that watered back to the house.  I also read that digging a shallow ditch around your property that is filled with water will help.  That sounded a bit much since I think a waterway would have to be wider than probable for around a yard.   Just stuff I've picked up.  I've never been in a fire area, but Florida does have the problem in its interior.
      March 4, 2024 6:09 PM MST

Those watery precautions are all very well if you can keep them watered, but forest and grass fires are spread by blown embers as well as through contact, and they can be blown for a long way.
      March 15, 2024 4:49 PM MDT