Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Jan 6th committee suppressed evidence in favor of Trump. Surprised? How will this affect Smith's case?

Jan 6th committee suppressed evidence in favor of Trump. Surprised? How will this affect Smith's case?

Deputy Chief of Staff Anthony Ornato, which shows President Donald Trump pushed for 10,000 National Guard troops to protect the nation’s capital.

The interview also shows White House frustration with slow deployment of assistance. The Select Committee conducted this interview in January of 2022, but never released it.

https://cha.house.gov/press-releases?ID=05CC8BC4-AC1D-4D16-90C5-957D52B3674C

Posted - March 10

Responses

That was a long, but interesting read. Ornato testified that he overheard Mark Meadows talking to Mayor Bowser about what extra support she needed, and that Meadows said the President was willing to go as high as 10,000 troops. So, this is basically third hand information - hearsay.  I don't consider proof that Trump 'pushed' for troops to protect the Capitol. If the committee had suppressed actual evidence, it would be different. 

This is not the first we heard of this number. The Secretary of Defense had quite a bit to say in his testimony to the Committe  that Trump had talked about wanting 10,000 NG to protect himself against counterprotestors a couple days prior. There was extensive reporting about it. But Trump never gave any order to have the troops ready to deploy. This seems to me to be a matter of Mark Meadows interpretation of Trump's words. 

Naturally,  you disagree.

Also, if they were going to March peacefully and patriotically, then why would Trump call for a massive show of force to protect the Capitol? Puzzling. This post was edited by Jane S at March 15, 2024 7:16 PM MDT
      March 10, 2024 3:53 PM MDT

It should have been published with the rest of the interviews from the Jan 6th committee.  The accusation was that Trump did not offer and even refused the troops.  There was also a memo which stated Trump offered 10k NG troops as well.  

Why offer that amount of troops? As the article said to prevent conflict from the to opposing sides which would be there.  Antifa was known to be violent and the protesters like everyone else have a breaking point.  And everyone knew tensions would be high. 

As I said from the start they should have locked it down....and who is in charge of security there?  Sergent of Arms of the House and of the Senate and WHO do they answer to? Speaker of the House (Pelsoi) and Leader of the Senate (McConnell)  why did they refuse to allow the NG request by the Capitol Police chief? 

But sadly, Jan 6th committee did not care to ask those questions. This post was edited by my2cents at March 10, 2024 4:53 PM MDT
      March 10, 2024 4:33 PM MDT

There were thousands of pages of documents from the committee, all of which had to go through security reviews before release. That is why they were released in batches.  I do not consider this suppression, but I am not MAGA. If there is all the proof of the 10,000 troops that you claim there is, why would this piece of hearsay evidence make any difference or affect Jack Smith's investigation? 

And I cannot understand why you think Ornato hearing Meadows talk to the DC mayor equates to Trump 'pushing' for anything.

This post was edited by Jane S at March 15, 2024 7:17 PM MDT
      March 11, 2024 10:09 AM MDT

Yes they released in batches because of the amount.  But thus was NOT released at all by the Jan 6 committee....that is suppression.  Doesn't matter if liberal or MAGA...if the information is not released it was suppressed. This post was edited by my2cents at March 14, 2024 6:02 AM MDT
      March 14, 2024 6:00 AM MDT

It was not released by the committee because the committee was dissolved at the end of the year, before that document was released. The committee no longer had access to the documents which were turned over to the National Archives. However,  they had already released many, many transcripts of interviews with government officials who said Trump did not order 10, 000 troops. 

March 14, 2024 6:21 AM MDT

So it was okay to suppress this one because they released soooooo many others. 

No claims he ordered the 10,000 troops.  What happened was he asked about security for the Jan 6th protest and told then he thought 10,000 troops would be needed because a lot of people are coming and there will be counterprotesters there as well and tensions will be high.  He was told they (capital police etc) had it under control.  He told them anything they request ....do it. 
    But correct there was no order for the 10k NG....it was turned down.  
    There is an interview with the Police Chief saying his request was denied by the Mayor and Sergent of Arms of the House (Speaker is his boss)

There was also several files that the Jan6 committee deleted before giving control to Rep in the House.  117 have been recovered but most are password protected.  At least one has been found was not archived at NARA. 
      March 14, 2024 7:58 AM MDT

It is puzzling. Shortly before the Capital was overrun Trump was given a speech at the Ellipse and he demanded that the metal detectors be shut down. When he was told that some of the protesters had weapons he said – they are not here to hurt me – let them in. 20 minutes later he is in the WH which has a bunker that can withstand a nuclear blast. So why would Trump see a need to call up 10,000 troops to protect him and the Capital (Trump was in no danger). Trump only had the authority to call up 2,000 National Guards the other 8,000 would have to come from other states. To do so Trump would have had to call the governors of the other states and ask for the help of their National Guards. There is no records of Trump or anyone else calling those Governors. What also puzzles me is after Jan. 6th Trump claimed that the reason the National Guard wasn’t deployed quickly was because it was Nancy Pelosi’s job to do so and she failed to do it. Now Trump is saying he was trying to get the National Guard there quickly but nobody listened to him and his efforts to do so were suppressed. Cheers!

This post was edited by Nanoose at March 11, 2024 8:55 AM MDT
      March 11, 2024 8:52 AM MDT

The is a memo supporting that Trump offered 10k troops.  There are interviews from more than on person who testified to the Jan 6th committee that Trump offered the 10k troops. Before Jan 6th.  It was Pelosi and Mayor of DC (likely McConnell but I have not seen him directly accused of refusing troops) who refused the troops. 
    Now I ask who benefited from the Jan 6th riot?  It was NOT Trump.  It was the Dem who did not want the Republicans to challenge the election....it was known that Republicans had the requirements to challenge 5 individual state results to ask for an inquiry to those elections.   The Dems could not have that.... This post was edited by my2cents at March 11, 2024 9:11 AM MDT
      March 11, 2024 9:09 AM MDT

I have seen no evidence of the memo, nor of Pelosi/McConnell turning it down. I'm sure you can provide it.

The purpose of the J6 riot was to disrupt and defer rhe certication of the election. This would have not benefited the Democrats. The results were challenged and the election was still certified.

March 11, 2024 9:39 AM MDT

I seen it somewhere (memo or meeting notes from a meeting earlier in the week of Jan) I cannot find it now. I thought I had a screen shot but that may have been on my old phone. 

The purpose of Jan 6th was to indeed to stop the certification of Biden as POTUS,  because of the evidence of fraud in numerous states.  People wanted those states investigated.  Then after that we accept the results. We had the requirements to object to each of those states to order the investigations.  Dems knew this and had to stop it.  
    Hense, the lack of security (again Mayor, and Sergent of Arms House/Senate...who answered to Speaker Pelosi and Leader McConnell at that time were in charge of security) which opened the door for Antifa and right wing crazies to do their thing.  We all saw police allow some inside, saw flash bombs thrown into peaceful crowds, etc. 
    This was to stop the Constitutional process in Congress to object to the certification of those 5 states.    
    Who benefited? Not Trump. 
      March 13, 2024 2:17 PM MDT

It makes no sense to me either. But that is nothing new. But somehow, the MAGA morons have decided this was all the fault of the Democrats. The fact remains, either Trump was powerless or he chose not to use his power. Even 2000 troops would have been enough. Since when does the commander in chief answer to the Speaker of the House?
      March 11, 2024 9:56 AM MDT

2000 troops would have been more then enough to protect Pence and the senators but Trump failed to do that for personal reasons. There is a video of Trump preparing to address the nation about the  insurrection  that was in progress. He wasted about 20 minutes by stopping the camera when he came to words like under attack and said  - I don't want to say that - so they had to rewrite the words to please him. All the facts of what really happed on Jan. 6th are in the National Archives and in Jack Smiths hands. And in a few months it will be proven that Trump neglected his duty so he could hold on to power. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at March 12, 2024 6:29 AM MDT
      March 11, 2024 10:36 AM MDT

If they were going to march peacefully, why did they bring all those weapons? This post was edited by Spunky at March 12, 2024 6:29 AM MDT
      March 12, 2024 6:27 AM MDT

Probably to protect Trump against Nancy Pelosi, who would love to give him a smack upside the head. So would I. 
      March 12, 2024 11:40 AM MDT

I'd like to do more than smack him upside the head.
      March 13, 2024 9:21 AM MDT

What weapons? Like 3 people were arrested for having weapons at the Capitol....

March 13, 2024 1:20 PM MDT

I guess bear spray and Mace don't count as weapons.

EDIT:  "Many defendants used other weapons such as clubs, pepper spray, bear spray and flagpoles."

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jul/13/donald-trump/jan-6-defendants-were-armed-guns-other-weapons-doc/#:~:text=Court%20documents%20show%20that%20some%20of%20the%20more,or%20stashed%20them%20away%20while%20staying%20in%20Washington. This post was edited by Spunky at March 13, 2024 2:27 PM MDT
      March 13, 2024 2:13 PM MDT

I said a few people were arrested for weapons charges....but generally speaking I don't know of those are classified as weapons. 
      March 13, 2024 2:38 PM MDT

March 13, 2024 2:49 PM MDT

You’ve become completely unhinged, sad. 
      March 15, 2024 7:19 PM MDT