Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why would any politican not support detaining and deporting any illegal alien who attacked police officers?

Why would any politican not support detaining and deporting any illegal alien who attacked police officers?

Posted - May 16

Responses

I don't get it, either. I admit I'm no expert.

After seeing your question the other day I looked up several various reports on the proposed bill. I was thinking that maybe there are others details in the bill causing the disagreement. 
    There are many from both major parties that voted against it.

May 19, 2024 5:35 PM MDT

This is the bill...it passed: Detain and Deport Illegal Aliens Who Assault Cops Act. 

No Republicans voted against it. 148 Dems voted against it.  But I cannot find any article or statement of any of those 148 Dems defending their vote. 
      May 19, 2024 8:18 PM MDT

https://hoyle.house.gov/media/press-releases/hoyle-statement-on-the-detain-and-deport-illegal-aliens-who-assault-cops-act
      May 20, 2024 5:31 AM MDT

Thank you.   So he is worried about the rights of the illegal who assaulted the police officer.  

I am not....if you are arrested for assaulting a cop/firefighter/etc....you need to go. No bail, just a one way ticket back to wherever you came from. And we should bill your home country the cost of the deportation.   This post was edited by my2cents at May 20, 2024 9:01 AM MDT
      May 20, 2024 8:43 AM MDT

That's what you got out of it? My interpretation is that the Republicans put forward a bill that tries to cover up the fact that they are fine with calling those in prison for viscous assaults on the Capital Police 'hostages' which is nor pro-law enforcement in my opinion. This act is an amendment to a bill that already calls for detainment and deportation of those committing criminal acts. It does seem to say that the alien only has to be arrested, not convicted.  It does not define assault, rather leaving it up to the jurisdiction.  Some have very restrictive definitions which would not result in an arrest, others are vague and could result in arrests for almost anything.  It is exactly what he called it: a messaging bill.  
      May 20, 2024 9:08 AM MDT

The Jan 6th people are American citizens and they deserve as much or more rights as an illegal alien.  And there are plenty who have been detained for years now without a trial....

The illegal who beat police in NYC have all been offered plea deals.  No jail, no detaining,  no bail, and no deportation....how do you think that is going to work out for the US after the criminals figure out there are no consequences?  

Again, if they arrested for assaulting an officer etc they should be held without bail.  And deported but we can wait until conviction if you want..
      May 20, 2024 9:17 AM MDT

You're going off topic again and I'm not going to bite.  The bill is vague and unnecessary and meant to make Republicans look good without actually having to accomplish anything. 
      May 20, 2024 10:19 AM MDT

You brought up the other topic. 

Plain and simple.  As your link said, the law already says they are supposed to be detained for violent offenses so this is just another case of Dems do not want to enforce our immigration laws.   No surprises there. 

It is meant to enforce our laws and protect our first responders and our citizens.   This post was edited by my2cents at May 20, 2024 11:07 AM MDT
      May 20, 2024 11:05 AM MDT

There was a BIPARTISAN bill introduced to address the border issues.  The REPUBLICANS defeated it.  The GOP would rather let the border issues percolate than give Biden credit for doing something about it.  Trump had a solid majority and couldn't pass legislation.
      May 20, 2024 1:08 PM MDT

She's just going to say the bill allowed open borders. The bill calls for ending catch and release, allows for closing points of entry when the number of migrants is too great for the system to process them, it funds more border patrol agents and also funds more immigration judges so that we can reduce the 5 to 7 year backlog of asylum cases. The really sad part is that it would have funded machines that detect fentanyl, the vast majority of which comes through legal points of entry.

The House would rather spend time on a bill that does nothing new, than help solve real issues when a Democrat is in the oval office. 

May 20, 2024 2:04 PM MDT

I couldn't agree more.  Trump and his majority had four years to do something about the border and all he did was make empty promises.  
      May 21, 2024 7:31 AM MDT

It allowed thousands of illegals in daily....

So you are fine with your Representative voting not to Detain and Deport illegals who beat your police?  Bragg already gave all of them plea deals. I guess as long as he is attacking the bad orange man, Bragg is golden.
      May 21, 2024 6:08 AM MDT

What I'm not fine with is the GOP constantly complaining that there's a border problem and doing nothing to help fix it.  What did Trump do about the border when he was in office and had majority rule?  NOTHING.  All he did was make empty promises.  
      May 21, 2024 7:28 AM MDT

You want to discuss that bill post a question and we discuss it.   This question is about the Detain and Deport Illegal Aliens Who Assault Cops Act.   And why 148 Dems opposed it. 
      May 21, 2024 7:38 AM MDT

Well in all fairness he did do a lot to fix the border problem – but he fixed it for the people on the Mexican side of the border. During a photo op Trump was bragging about how secure his wall was - then he said there are also motion detectors at the top of the wall to detect people trying to climb over the wall. Then he turned to a border guard and said – isn't that right and the border guard said – umm that’s supposed to be a secrete. Cheers!

May 21, 2024 10:41 AM MDT

May 21, 2024 4:02 PM MDT

Pelosi had the House for 2 of those years and refused to fund the wall...she said we didn't have $5B to secure our border.    But somehow, we have $113B to secure Urkaine's border....

Paul Ryan was never Trump ally, MAGA never had majority rule....Ryan = RINO establishment crap. 

Again, this question is about the Detain and Deport Illegal Aliens Who Assault Cops Act and the Dems not supporting it.
    Feel free to ask another question if you want to rebate old Bills.
      May 21, 2024 10:43 AM MDT

That doesn't make sense. Congress is not a law enforcement agency. The bill will not make one bit of difference in whether the existing laws or the new laws get enforced, since it is up to local jurisdictions.

FYI, your statement about plenty J6 offenders being detained for years without a trial is BS. 

Republicans are not pro law enforcement and a bogus bill doesn't change that.

https://www.justsecurity.org/94157/january-6th-detainees-dc-jail/
      May 20, 2024 1:44 PM MDT

You are right, Congress is not in charge of enforing laws.  But they are in charge of writting them.

Immigration is supposed to be a Federal enforcement issue.  And Biden admin has no desire to stop potential voters from entering the country.  Local enforcement should not have the option of not following the laws. 

Republicans are not the ones who wanted to defund the police....we all know who did that. We all know who is weak on crime. Just go to any city if you not sure. 

May 21, 2024 5:30 AM MDT

From ABC  Jan 2024

1265 arrests

Over 965 in 2021-2022, 300 in 2023

171 trials and 718 plea deals (889 convictions, 1 aquital)  this means at least 75 Americans sitting in prison with no trail....this is assuming that all of the convictions apply to 2021 and 2022 arrests.   (We know that it not likely the case so the number is certainly higher)

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/3-years-jan-6-numbers-1200-charged-460/story?id=106140326

From WP:
    1235 arrests, only 300 from 2023 = 935 from 2021-2022
    131 trial (1 aquital)
    714 pleas
    844 convictions...1 Aquital 

935 arrests - 845 = 90 citizens arrested in prison with no trail as of Jan 2024
    90 Americans denied their Constitutional right to a fair and speedy trail while the rot in prison for at least a year. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/01/05/january-6-riot-sentences/

This post was edited by my2cents at May 21, 2024 1:07 PM MDT
      May 21, 2024 6:04 AM MDT

You fail to account for the majority of defendents who were not incarcerated pre-trial. Only those who present a threat to the public, are a flight risk or have violated pre-trial release conditions are in jail. They are being treated the same as Trump, who was not jailed pending trial.
      May 21, 2024 10:24 AM MDT

Interesting that you post a tiny excerpt from a year old article.  I found and read the entire article which I thought was quite fair and balanced. I'd like to post another excerpt. 

May 21, 2024 10:50 AM MDT

Again, we can debate  Jan 6, on a question about Jan 6.. or the stolen election.  But this question is about Dems not supporting a Detain and Deport Illegals Assaulting Police bill.   

Topic has slid enough. This post was edited by my2cents at May 21, 2024 12:18 PM MDT
      May 21, 2024 12:16 PM MDT

That's what I  said, before my post disappeared.  You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?
      May 21, 2024 2:37 PM MDT