Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » What does fark mean and when is it approprite to retort with "fark you"?

What does fark mean and when is it approprite to retort with "fark you"?

I can be forgiven, still in food coma from yesterday.

Posted - November 25, 2016

Responses

It's a euphemism for another word beginning with F (you know what). Lol:)
      November 25, 2016 12:38 PM MST

If you say so.  Thanks for posting the music on the queue. Hope you get better responses. 
      November 25, 2016 12:39 PM MST

I'm getting the impression that kind of music is not very popular on this site. It's very popular where I come from. Why is it so unpopular on this site?
      November 25, 2016 12:41 PM MST

Because people do not realize that for something to become popular on here?  You have to do it a lot.

Amber, who has not been here in ages, used to post a lot of dance music and people did respond.  You are actually getting some feedback here now. 
      November 25, 2016 12:58 PM MST

Fark is "news" content that media sources put out to fill airtime, column-inches, web page space, etc. which is NOT news.

Well, it's "news" in the sense that it does document something that (usually) actually happened. However, it is NOT news in the sense that is has NO RELEVANCE to the lives of people (except maybe the narrow few in the reported incident) and no value beyond brief entertainment.

"Trump appoints Person X to government post A" is news.

"Firefighters rescue cat from tree" is fark.

"Obama has 9 kinds of pie at Thanksgiving dinner" is fark.

Of course, the problem is the line between the two can get blurry at the margins, especially when there are motivated actors who desperately want some bit of fark to be elevated to the status of news.

"Obama has 9 kinds of pie at Thanksgiving dinner" is fark deemed newsworthy...because interested parties wish to paint a picture of President Obama as an out-of-touch elitist hypocrite, not because the number of pies at the White House Thanksgiving Dinner has any real-world relevance.

This can work the other way as well.

"Trump announces bid to become GOP presidential nominee"  SHOULD have been fark. But because his antics drew viewers and clicks and ad revenue, it started being reported as news, and the monster fed upon itself until we have the situation we have today.

"Clinton e-mail scandal: the latest" was news at one point. Once the FBI determined she didn't commit prosecutable offenses, it SHOULD have become fark. But, of course, motivated parties who wanted to paint a particular picture of Hillary Clinton kept pretending it was news.

http://www.fark.com/

This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 25, 2016 1:04 PM MST
      November 25, 2016 12:48 PM MST

It has a catchy ring to it.

I'll keep it. 
      November 25, 2016 12:57 PM MST

• It's what you call the  fart after you had your backdoor.......  Oh never mind
      November 25, 2016 1:06 PM MST

Yes.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 25, 2016 5:16 PM MST
      November 25, 2016 5:15 PM MST

Fark is the safe way to get around the 'decency rules' that very moral people sometimes try to impose on others.

It is a slightly different spelling of the popular (and rude) word for intercouse.
      November 25, 2016 4:33 PM MST

So, is the new name of this town Fark, PA?...;-D....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercourse,_Pennsylvania
      November 25, 2016 4:48 PM MST

I did not know that one ;-) But disagree with your implication anyway.

Back when that city was founded the word intercourse had a somewhat different meaning, it described any social activity BBQs, barnraisings, hanging out by the grocery store. It has drifted a bit since then and the word have become a lot more specific. ;-))
      November 25, 2016 5:45 PM MST

Humor is lost on you, isn't it Jake?
      November 25, 2016 5:46 PM MST

@JakobA -- I know, I was just kidding.

FWIW, I've actually been to Intercourse, PA. I spent a couple of days in Amish Country several years ago.

There's a town in Austria with similar issues due to vulgar interpretations of its name..;_D...
      November 25, 2016 5:48 PM MST

FARC = Force Armed Revolutionary of Colombia.  In Spanish, the adjectives follow the noun.
      November 25, 2016 4:48 PM MST

Makes me think of Fark.com
      November 25, 2016 5:16 PM MST

RPF explain?  What is that? fark.com
    it doesn't even light up like a normal site.
      November 25, 2016 5:17 PM MST

It's an ancient news aggregator site where people post news stories, photoshops and whatever, and generally people try to make funny comments on them. Lot of in-jokes that the casual onlooker probably won't get.
      November 25, 2016 5:24 PM MST

Thanks, that is most helpful.  I could have looked it up, I know, but I thought you'd just made it up.  I will go look and thank you, kindly.
      November 25, 2016 5:31 PM MST