Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » How can Senate Majority, Mitch McConnell's wife be appointed as Secretary of Transportation by Trump?

How can Senate Majority, Mitch McConnell's wife be appointed as Secretary of Transportation by Trump?

Wouldn't that be conflict of interest? The Executive Branch should work separately from the legislative branch, so what if Trump decided he could fire his Secretary of State for one reason or other and try to force the Majority Leader to lead the vote in the senate---or fire his wife. This is just an example, but there could be other problems concerning his wife. 

Posted - November 29, 2016

Responses

She was in Bush's cabinet for eight years.  She has been married to goofball McConnell since 93.  It's OK.  Read the whole article rather than reporting to us the headlines.  We can look at the news ourselves.
      November 29, 2016 12:24 PM MST

What articles? I'm listening to the radio. Do they even say she's married to McConnell? No. The only reason I knew was because I remembered her name sounded familiar. Then I looked it up on Wikipedia. Most women use their husband's last names. No one is going to tell you there is a conflict of interest unless they know the law. I assume someone on AM knows the law. 
      November 29, 2016 1:09 PM MST

Maybe you should read more, Marguerite. There's a lot of interesting stuff here - www.realclearpolitics.com.
      November 29, 2016 6:20 PM MST

While I agree it is a potential conflict of interest, such conflicts may be unavoidable.

Our Political Class is so insular and interconnected, these sorts of connections are bound to pop up with almost any appointment.

If we want to try to minimize them, I suggest we start with more consequential ones, such as the time Phil Gramm passed a securities trading law called "The Enron Exception" while his wife, Wendy Gramm, was serving on Enron's Board of Directors (with pay, of course).

November 29, 2016 12:31 PM MST