Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Family » How to act/go about living with abusive parents?

How to act/go about living with abusive parents?

I'm living w/my parents right now and I am unsure how to act or go about the situation.... most days I say nothing to them if I can. My mother has been manic, belittling, violent, all my life- I have anxiety and PTSD symptoms from her aggression/abuse, the things she has said is almost borderline evil to do or say to your own flesh and blood. My dad is an alcoholic and bipolar and will physically come at me/hit me, even as an adult, if I even defend myself to her awful words or accusations. I don't know whether to continue to not say anything to them or even go completely silent; even answering any of their questions makes me feel low or like I have no self esteem even more.. I'm trying to get enough funds to move out but its been VERY hard when I haven't even thought myself human, confident or capable (even though I'm prob. the most responsible adult I know.. ) Would you go silent w/them until you can get out, or would you ever call authorities if they came at you again?

Posted - December 1, 2016

Responses

You don't live with them. You leave. If you can't leave because you feel emotionally attached, get counseling. If finances or something else is holding you back, network or join a support group so you can get the tools you need to go. The environment is toxic and it won't get better. You can stay and let them eat you alive or you can go because you deserve better. 
      December 1, 2016 6:18 PM MST

•    Do you have a sibling that is out of the house, a friend, a relative that will take you in? You say you are an adult, so it's too bad you don't feel you can stand up for yourself. Does anyone else know what goes on at home? It's too bad you didn't seek help when you were younger. (I am assuming you did not) The authorities would have had you removed from the house, and surely placed somewhere where you'd be safe and much happier.

If not speaking to your parents keeps you safer, then it's the right thing to do. You should call the authorities, if you are not too afraid of the wrath of your parents, for doing so. More would have been done when you were a minor. It may be your word against theirs, that anything harmful or illegal is happening. The fact that you are an adult may cause the authorities to want to  not get too involved, unfortunately.

Are you getting help for your PTSD and anxiety? You need to get some self esteem. Please seek help, if you are not getting any. Do not allow your parents to win. Good luck!

December 1, 2016 6:27 PM MST

Oh when I was younger I didn't even KNOW the awful abuse i was in; it is called a 'fog'.. I have researched psychopaths who abuse and bully their kids...my 'self' was so down, so low , that this was COMPLETELY normal most years of my life, to feel I'm less than anyone else, that yelling/hitting/screaming is fine to do to me, and that I should be 'grateful' I even have a roof over my head.... so no, getting help back then wasn't even an option almost- the cops came then, and left, b/c she sweet talked them that all was ok.. they have to 'see ' abuse to do anything. I know as an adult, even if I am threatened (she has , and he has, physically threatened ) me ... I can report to police for assault... but even knowing how Mean, how awful they have been to me, how can u do it on your 'parents'?? I don't even feel they are parents at all, but i fear any repercussion.. :(  I just hope to find a therapist and my own freedom soon... ty friend for your tips
      December 1, 2016 6:49 PM MST

• I understand, and you're welcome. I hope all works out for you, and soon.
      December 1, 2016 6:55 PM MST

I don't usually give advice on this kind of post because I never know if the person is being truthful.  I don't really question your sincerity.  I think Just asking gave you very frank and good advice.  If you leave please have a friend or even the cops there so you can leave safely.  Life isn't easy when those around you are supportive; what you are living in sounds all but impossible.  I hope you can get away and be on your own.  That is the best feeling in the world.  My prayers and best wishes are with you.
      December 1, 2016 6:32 PM MST

Thanks Thrifty.... appreciate your ideas and tips. I have made myself nearly inivisible for many years of my life, never dated (despited being early 30's) and have symptoms of PTSD /hypervigiance..  I have felt crippled by her awful words and also physical violence, thinking I'm incapable of truly being on my own almost. Yet most every person I know on their 'own' has help from their parents still with some rent, or love, or something... when i get out, I do have no one.. only a friend, who I keep at arms length b/c she is bossy, but I still enjoy her. So I have no one to help me financially  ('if' I needed ...) and no support emotionally. I feel so alone; I am trying to get into therapy now; but most dont even accept my insurance.. I'll have to just see a counselor rahter than doctor /psychologist.. but they often don't specialize in child trauma. I will take it day by day, I just hope to gain my actual 'self' soon and feel I am worth dating, or love or independence too.. ty so much
      December 1, 2016 6:46 PM MST

• First, I would not stay in that house for one second.
    I'd pack my bags and go to a Salvation Army Hostel today, now.
    From there I would look for a room in a share-house, or a free room or granny-flat as a house-sitter/caretaker.
    If you have no income, find a place that will accept a specific number of hours of voluntary labour, eg housekeeping or gardening.

It has been several months now since your first posts on this issue, and I'm not sure exactly what steps you have been taking to prepare to leave.
    If fear is the main thing stopping you, then it is also the main reason not to let it stop you. When we give in to fear in that way, it keeps us stuck and prevents us from doing what we most need to do. One must feel the fear and go ahead and make the move anyway. Most times, it turns out that the thing we fear is far more manageable than we imagined.

If you still choose to stay, I recommend Randi Kreger's book "The Essential Family Guide to Borderline Personality Disorder."

The following are Randi's tips:
    1. Be realistic. You will not eliminate another person's borderline behavior, no matter how well you communicate.  Your goal is simply to communicate in a way that respects you and the person with borderline personality disorder (BP).

2. Leave if necessary. You do not have to tolerate physical threats or emotional or verbal abuse.

3. Simplify. When speaking with a BP, especially about sensitive issues, remember emotion is likely to be so strong that neither of you can do high-level thinking. Make each sentence short, simple, and direct. Leave no room for misinterpretation.

4. Separate the person from the behavior. Make it clear to the BP that when you dislike behavior, you do not dislike the person. You may have to reinforce this often.

5. Address feelings before facts. In ordinary conversation, we put facts before feelings. We assess facts and react with our feelings to them. But people with BPD often reverse this process. They have certain feelings—such as the fear that a partner will abandon them—and so they change the facts to match their feelings.

For example, their partner isn't going to the grocery store; he is walking out on the relationship. A non-BP confronted with that accusation may want to try to point out the facts (he's taking a grocery list, there is no food in the refrigerator, or so on), but in the BP's emotional state, that will be irrelevant. Instead, the non-BP may get farther by acknowledging an empathizing the BP's feelings (not facts) rather than discounting them. Then the non-BP can insert her reality.

For example, "You sound really upset. I would be upset too if I thought you were walking away forever. However (however is better than "but") I'm just going to the store and I'll be back in an hour."

6. Keep focusing on your message. Ignore the BP's attacks or threats or attempts to change the subject. Stay calm and reiterate your point. If you're feeling attacked, calmly say that things are getting too hot and you'll be back in an hour. Then leave.

7. Ask questions. Turn the problem over to the other person. Ask for alternative solutions, by saying, for example, "Where do you think we should go from here?" Or "I'm not able to say yes, and you seem to really want me to. How can we solve this problem?"

8. Remember the importance of timing. There are good times and bad times to bring up certain subjects. An incident that may make the BP feel particularly vulnerable—the loss of a job, for example—could lead him or her to feel rejected, abandoned or invalidated. Your conversation is likely to be a lot more difficult. Postpone it if you can, or at least take into account the BP's greater vulnerability at this time.

9. In the midst of an intense conversation that is escalating and unproductive, practice Delay, Distract, Depersonalize, and Detach.

Delay. Tell the other person, "Why don't we think about things and talk about this later?" or "Give me some time to think about what you're saying." Speak calmly and in a way that affirms the other person as well as yourself, without necessarily confirming their claims: "I'm feeling upset right now. Your feelings are important to me and I need some time to understand them."

Distract. Suggest, for instance, that the two of you run an errand together.

Depersonalize. Throughout, you will do better if you remind yourself frequently that the BP's harsh criticism of you is not real, but still feels very real to that person. Don't take the other person's comments personally, however cutting or cruel they may feel to you. This is the nature of the disorder.

Detach. Remove yourself emotionally from getting caught up in the emotional whirlwind. Resolve to yourself, "I'm not going to get so involved in this."

This is especially true not just in moments of high negativity, but in moments of high positive emotions. Impulsivity is a key trait of people with BPD, and while it can show up in negative actions—like throwing something through a window or telling you you're a monster and he never wants to see you again—it can also show up in positive actions: Telling you she adores you and wants to get married, right now or tomorrow. A BP's positive impulsivity can be very seductive. Detaching yourself can help you guard against it.

The emotional cycle that a person with BPD goes through can be compared to a row of dominos. One trigger, one push of the first domino, and the entire row falls in rapid succession. Your job is to try to remove your own "domino" from the row. You can also learn what makes the dominos fall. Pay attention to your experiences and anticipate ways to keep things calm. If you can calm yourself, the adrenaline doesn't flow through your system, and you can begin to try to steer the volatile relationship into less stormy seas.

It may help if you remind yourself, "I can't help that person's splitting. I can't help that person's shame. I can't help that person's fear. I can't control those things. What I can control is how I respond. And if I respond calmly, not impulsively, perhaps I can lower the temperature and help us find new ways to respond to each other and manage the BPD."

This doesn't mean caving in, however. Simply adopting a "whatever you say, dear" is not good for your own mental health, and it's not good for the person with BPD, either.

~ ~ ~
    To help cope with living with a drunk, join Al-Anon and/or Co-Dependents Anonymous (it's free.) When your father is drunk, either leave the house or lock yourself in your bedroom. The next morning when he's grumpy and hung-over, don't argue over any negative or critical statements - use the same tips as above.

For dealing with your father's bi-polar fluctuations, look up "bipolarcargivers.org" One essential thing is whether or not your father is willing to co-operate with doctors in monitoring his lithium levels and in the matter of medications. If he's missed a med it might be as simple as reminding him. A young adult daughter should not have to be her father's caregiver in this way - but given the constant burden this would be on your mother, it would still be useful to know the techniques. There's a lot of helpful stuff there. If he becomes violent and is threatening lives, call police or ambulance.

December 1, 2016 7:08 PM MST

You're not taking very good care of that child, now are you? :(
      December 1, 2016 7:27 PM MST

Thing is, I have no one when I leave :( It is horrible to stay for years in abuse (NOT a choice...) b/c you don't feel you even are human some days.. they essentially bullied me, and some days I hang on by a thread... but I fear feeling So SO alone when I have my own place; I don't date b/c of the fear of being 'tainted' (who would want a woman who has been through so many years of abuse, not confident etc.. ?) and I have one or two friends. (they are not really 'close' friends) . so while I NEED to leave here so much, it is toxic, to my being and esteem, I feel nervous out there; I have no fam. member who'd truly help me emotionally or financially... :/ but I am begtinning to learn , that lil girl DOE S need me now; to just push through and somehow feel she's capable... ty for reminding me P *huggg
      December 1, 2016 10:12 PM MST

• I realise that the fear of being alone emotionally and financially is terrifying for you.
    It's okay to feel that fear, but it's not helpful to let it rule you.
    Staying put only reinforces the fears of taking those first few steps.
    The older you grow, the more that sympathy will gradually diminish and the harder it will become to find a place out in the wider world.

The financial part is not so hard as soon as you have a job. Any job is a good start.
    If that is too difficult, start with a voluntary job that reflects your interests.
    People are actually very welcoming and understanding about the struggles of young people to develop independence, and they do help when they can.

The emotional part is much easier than you imagine.
    It is actually bliss to be away from the company of people who are toxic.
    It is only then that you can begin to discover who and what you really are -
    and that is bound to be far better than the person they have conditioned you to be.

I am not joking when I say that I fear that, if you stay put, you may end up becoming suicidal and possibly murdering yourself.
    The term "toxic" means exactly that - a poison which causes ill health or death.
    When people are verbally abusive they very often do not realise the harm they are doing, and often they are so damaged in themselves that they are unable to see the truth.

You see it, and this awareness is just now your best asset, the thing that can save you. Please use it.
    No matter how much you fear being alone, the fear itself is far worse than the reality.
    Being alone is something all of us need at least some of the time.
    You have friends here on aM and a couple of not close friends in real life - and that is a very good start. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 1, 2016 11:47 PM MST
      December 1, 2016 11:42 PM MST

Thanks Hart for your uplifting words... truly. I thank you for a VERY key thing I need to KEEP remembering.. that 'No matter how much you fear being alone, the fear itself is far worse than the reality.' That really resonated with me. I do feel SO scared of being on my own , A. because I don't have any backup love/emotional help/ financial help.. and B. because I was chastised Daily since I was two years old... that I was less, dumb, incapable, etc. (my mother is manic and on the sociopathic spectrum.. and I only now have read, and learned, that her mental issue is one that is INCREDIBLY negative- making EVERY little slight mistake a HUGE awful thing, in which they cut at your WORTH, not the small mistake itself... ) So I think just knowing it is her ILLNESS that is talking to me as my worth; just lies really, will help me see maybe I Am capable, and can be just fine. I'm slowly beginning, to feel this might be true- I hope to find a therapist so I can further my new belief that I'm trying to INSTILL in myself.. ty for saying it is 'bliss' to be away from that toxic person/parent.. and that I do have friends here at AM, it made me feel light and smile.  I hope your night is a great one, ty again H.
      December 2, 2016 10:02 PM MST

I can't begin to imagine how hard it must be to be in your position, so please know I'm speaking from that viewpoint and I don't want to minimize the difficulty of making the decision of moving out.  But you need to keep reminding yourself, though, that it will be impossible to get your mind healthy again while continuing to live there because you're in the same surroundings that caused it.  It's like eating food that you know has gone bad, then wondering why you got sick.  Sure it will be difficult on your own.  It's a scary thought for anybody.  But you're doing yourself more harm by staying and you're knowingly causing it to continue.  None of us here have the solution or can make things better - only you can.  Until you decide to take the leap, you'll continue to suffer.  At least being in your own place, your own home, you can begin rebuilding your life - the one you deserve, NOT the one you were born into.  You'll have difficulties, yes, but they won't be the kind you've had to endure.  
      December 2, 2016 3:08 AM MST

Thank you P ... "hugg" .... It meant a lot to read your view/reply. That analogy of eating the poisoned food was spot on, b/c her and his words and actions, WERE poison.  Yes. Only thing is, I'm not exactly 'knowingly causing' it to continue. I have only in the last year begun to SEE and FEEL how awful their actions and abuse have been on me.... I was in a fog for some 30 + years. A psychopaths' reign and abuse /control puts the person (esp. the child who believed their foul words from very young age..) in a fog... so you do not even THINK this is 'wrong'. I have felt my whole life, it is fine for me not to have a 'self' .. to be less, and to think my word is always not as important as my fam. members or friends' . It is literally a cult like brainwash, and I'm very thankful in the last year i felt something VERY off; that I knew, wow I'm over 30, and I feel I have no right to a life, to my own being, etc... so now I'm realizing, I need my own place... yet still need to find a semblance of confidence in ME (remember 'me' didn't exist)to go forth to do this ( on my own ). I REALLY liked your line, 'the one you deserve, NOT the one you were born into.' I never feel I deserve anything.. love, joy etc. I question, doubt, do I also deserve a spouse, or partner one day? do I deserve peace ? Those are things that were not EVER in my world, ever. So how can I believe I should have them? That is what I am trying to overcome.. ty so so much for your words b/c they were so positive ..... how have you been ??
      December 2, 2016 9:56 PM MST

you are an adult who needs to strike out on your own. There are services available in your community to assist some one like you in your situation. I wish you all the best and am very sorry for how you have been treated by your own parents. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at February 17, 2017 11:38 PM MST
      February 17, 2017 11:33 PM MST