Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Why do religious people feel they have the right to trespass into a private community to push their religion?

Why do religious people feel they have the right to trespass into a private community to push their religion?

We get people walking into our community right past the signs that clearly state "PRIVATE PROPERTY MEMBERS ONLY"

What gives them the right to interrupt my morning then tell me they have a legal right to trespass and push their religion?

Posted - July 5, 2016

Responses

Yes they do, Bahama.  It was an Ohio case that made its way to the Supremes.  Supremes say to disallow them is offensive to the free exercise clause of the Constitution.

July 5, 2016 9:56 PM MDT

Americans have the right to freely exercise their religion.  It is not illegal for religious inquirers to come to your front door, even if you post a "no solicitation" sign in the yard.  Those signs do not prohibit religious inquirers, local newspaper sales, charity solicitations, and political campaign efforts.

July 5, 2016 9:59 PM MDT

Put a lock on it.

July 5, 2016 10:01 PM MDT

July 5, 2016 11:08 PM MDT

Because Jesus told us to go into all the world with the good news. I don't feel called to knocking on doors at all, myself. I think it is better to be friendly with all people and whoever chooses to hang around me it's a little sign that God is drawing them to himself.

July 5, 2016 11:13 PM MDT

July 5, 2016 11:42 PM MDT

Thank you, what a nice thing to say! You are super nice too:)

July 6, 2016 12:06 AM MDT

I think that your first sentence is the only one that I agree with. You waiting for people to choose to hang around you is kinda like the Churches being keepers of the aquarium rather than fishers of men. I suppose that's a good way to keep from being hated and persecuted. If I believed in a literal hell fire where non-believers are going to be consciously tormented forever and ever I think I would knock on all the doors I could to try to help to save them. So many scriptures are coming to mind that I don't know where to start?

(Luke 6:46) “Why, then, do you call me ‘Lord! Lord!’ but do not do the things I say?

(2 Timothy 3:12) In fact, all those desiring to live with godly devotion in association with Christ Jesus will also be persecuted.

(Matthew 10:22) And you will be hated by all people on account of my name, but the one who has endured to the end will be saved.
    (Matthew 24:9) “Then people will hand you over to tribulation and will kill you, and you will be hated by all the nations on account of my name.
    (Matthew 4:19) And he said to them: “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
    (Matthew 28:19, 20) Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”
    (Acts 5:28, 29) and said: “We strictly ordered you not to keep teaching on the basis of this name, and yet look! you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and you are determined to bring the blood of this man upon us.” 29 In answer Peter and the other apostles said: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men.
    (Acts 5:42) And every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.
    (Acts 20:20) while I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.

(2 Timothy 4:2) Preach the word; be at it urgently in favorable times and difficult times; reprove, reprimand, exhort, with all patience and art of teaching.
    (1 Timothy 4:16) Pay constant attention to yourself and to your teaching. Persevere in these things, for by doing this you will save both yourself and those who listen to you.

(Matthew 24:14) And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

July 6, 2016 2:39 AM MDT

The evidence is Do we produce fruit (Do people become Christians and change their lives completely after they meet us?) I can't tell how many have told me they are born again, and their lives have totally changed after I met them. This is a work of God. It is not me. But my guess is that it is close to a few hundred or a thousand a year or so, Many thousands in the last few years have given me cards, and calls, and visits.  Many have come years after I met them to tell me. Changed lives. One of my closest friends now that I didn't see for 25 years told me that she saw my life for a few weeks 30 years ago when she didn't know me, and it changed her life and she told me this 25 years after I first met her. God is powerful and all we need to do is love everyone and do his will and if we have God the Holy Spirit in us we WILL produce fruit and everyday people will be saved by our witness. Our lives will speak! People are watching. When they talk to us they talk with God in us. It is God who woos them by his miraculous Grace. NOT by knowledge of scripture but by love. Many Catholics believe what. JW teaches but NEVER a born again Christian. "My own hears my voice" JW is NOT the voice of God.

July 6, 2016 4:04 AM MDT

Uh, yeah right

July 6, 2016 4:39 AM MDT

If you are a bad person then maybe religion can help but I am not a bad person nor do I know any bad people.

Control freaks are running amuck in this country.

Forcing your religion shows people don't want it voluntarily.

July 6, 2016 5:05 AM MDT

ISIS believes the same thing. People must comply with their beliefs. There is no difference in any of the religions.

July 6, 2016 5:09 AM MDT

Who said that people must comply with my beliefs? Some kind of a loose paraphrase of what I said? Christians are supposed to witness, not force to comply. Never have I heard anyone say that they "have a legal right to trespass and push their religion". Did you interpret that out of something else that was said like you interpreted what I said into something totally different?

July 6, 2016 5:37 AM MDT

Keep your beliefs. Leave others to theirs. Religion is so screwed up believers need counseling.

You do try to force compliance through laws. Laws that restrict activity that is against your beliefs.

Laws that control activities on Sunday's.

July 6, 2016 5:49 AM MDT

"You do try to force compliance through laws. Laws that restrict activity that is against your beliefs.

Laws that control activities on Sunday's."

Not hardly. I have no part in politics.

Perhaps you would like it if I was to lie and say you eat babies?

July 6, 2016 5:53 AM MDT

Religion has controlled liquor sales, times stores hours, locations of businesses. So yes religions do try to force their beliefs on others.

Broadcasting sermons over loud speakers. Ringing stupid bells early in the morning.

Laws that protect people from harm are universally accepted not religious or anti-religious.

No laws restrict religion. Even the Westboro Baptist Church is allowed to spew their hate speech.

Just because YOU do not have part in politics does not mean religions do not try to control laws.

I don't infringe on your rights so don't trespass on mine.

The reason we made our community private and pay for our own roads and upkeep is to live without having people trespassing into our lives without an invitation.

Practice your religion and have a little respect for others.

July 6, 2016 6:04 AM MDT

When Jesus changes your heart you become  more loving, totally different than ISIS. I love even the terrorists because they are just deceived by Satan. "All have sinned and come short of Gods glory" God tells us that all of us are separated from God and need Jesus to bring us to Himself.

July 6, 2016 9:28 AM MDT

@BSurfdog..ROTFL..take care

July 6, 2016 10:06 AM MDT

He's already on the other side of the door..  He's in my heart..  My door couldn't shut him out..HE comes in the Spirit..not that flesh on the other side of my door..

July 6, 2016 10:10 AM MDT

Really, you think that we want to fight?I don't look for a fight. I want to be of help if I can.

July 6, 2016 12:37 PM MDT

July 6, 2016 1:10 PM MDT

You had genuine questions, and I love that! It is always fun to debate.

July 6, 2016 8:50 PM MDT

Thank you for being so understanding, I think we need to be respectful, and treat others the way we want to be treated though especially if we come in the name of God.

July 6, 2016 8:52 PM MDT