Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Do you love all of nature or are there some parts of which you are not fond? Would you watch killer whales eat a shark? Why?

Do you love all of nature or are there some parts of which you are not fond? Would you watch killer whales eat a shark? Why?

Posted - December 16, 2016

Responses

I love and respect nature generally, but I wouldn't like to watch a killer whale kill a shark, if only out of squeamishness. Nature is not all cuddly fur and big brown eyes, and predation is a large part of that darker side, be it by a lion, killer shark, sea-anemone or the little spider under the sofa. It may be unpleasant to us, but the predators have to eat!
      February 13, 2017 3:46 PM MST

Some nature shows will share EVERYTHING with the viewer. I can't watch. Just as some folks like to watch an operation being performed on TV. I can't watch that either. I like to be entertained when I watch TV. Not have nightmares! I prefer cuddly to cutthroat and happy endings to sad! I always have! Thank you for your thoughtful answer Durdle! :)
      February 14, 2017 4:31 AM MST

I know what you mean, but it would be a disservice not to show how Nature really works. I have seen one or two operations on television, and found viewing the "insides" no problem, but had to turn away from the incision that starts the surgery.

Actually the most unpleasant act of nature I saw on TV was not a predator catching its dinner, but a rather too explicit video of an ordinary human birth. I cannot remember the context but it may have been in an Open University series. 
      February 15, 2017 4:04 PM MST