Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Life has existed on Earth for 3.5 billion years, will end when conditions become unsuitable. Do you think life had any meaning or purpose?

Life has existed on Earth for 3.5 billion years, will end when conditions become unsuitable. Do you think life had any meaning or purpose?

Did 'we'  accomplish anything of any great significance that time cannot ever forget?

Posted - December 17, 2016

Responses

Yes you are, but that is one of the things I love about you.
      December 19, 2016 12:42 PM MST

December 19, 2016 12:54 PM MST

She has  a wonderful mind of her own while practicing her faith quietly with her actions.  SHE is the sort of Christian I would inspire to be.
      December 21, 2016 8:45 AM MST

Definitely
      December 19, 2016 6:22 AM MST

If you were to ask four people who just witnessed the same event together to describe what happened, you will invariably get four different accounts.  We each view things through our own biases, fears, life experiences, etc.  That is not to say that any one of the four would be lying, just that each would emphasize what was most noteworthy to them.   
      December 18, 2016 12:32 PM MST

You are exactly right Boz.
    Another great point.
      December 18, 2016 12:42 PM MST

Life seems to only have meaning or purpose when it's about to end.
      December 18, 2016 11:38 AM MST

• That's pretty good Z.
      December 18, 2016 3:04 PM MST

I learned a thing.  It is not about what you did but how you did it.  It does not matter if you made a zillion dollars and saved 100,000 lives.   It is about your integrity and your word and your heart and what was in place when you did act.   If I make a zillion dollars but at the expense of my brothers and sisters on this planet, I have done nothing.    When I save 100,000 lives, if it costs lives to do it?  I don't think it is necessarily an heroic act. 

As far as how much time has elapsed, what do you think should be accomplished that has or has not been accomplished?   It seems we have learned little, and yet we have accomplished much.    

The only thing that matters is how you helped and not hindered your fellow men.  What does anything matter in the face of eternity?   It is a blip in time.   3,000,000 years is a small blip.    
      December 18, 2016 3:12 PM MST

• Time enables the forgetting of everything, eventually.  But there is purpose in all life - life, and the continuation of it is it's purpose.
      December 19, 2016 6:24 AM MST

That doesn't sound very atheistic.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 19, 2016 6:48 AM MST
      December 19, 2016 6:25 AM MST

• Oh, I don't know - and if I'm honest I don't really care.  I just say what I see.

December 19, 2016 6:53 AM MST

Gotcha Mr. W.  I thought you were a die-hard atheist.   Thanks. 
      December 19, 2016 6:55 AM MST

• I'm rarely a die-hard anything Sharrona.  :)  If evidence is presented, I'll listen - if it's worth listening to.  I don't find that the Abrahamic texts fall into this category, and a little knowledge of Ancient History tells me much the same thing.

So I'm probably not 'convertable' material and the local door-knockers both religious and political have learned to avoid me.  If one of them does get ambitious though I will still listen, as I do like a discussion. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 19, 2016 7:09 AM MST
      December 19, 2016 7:08 AM MST

I see.  I am not disputing your ideas, I just assumed wrongly. 
      December 19, 2016 7:10 AM MST

• I do like a good dispute and I won't deny I do pop up every now and then to but my oar in on religious questions, so I can understand why you might think so.  :)  I don't come across as someone who holds religion in high esteem because I don't.  

But I'm usually careful to distinguish between 'God' and 'Religion'.  One (assuming it's existence) is, I believe, unknowable, the other, in almost all it's incarnations is all too knowable, and I think rotten to it's core.
      December 19, 2016 7:23 AM MST

In all it's incarnations?  You think Jesus is rotten?   I'm lost. 
      December 19, 2016 12:44 PM MST

• No, I am not saying that.  Ghandi explained it rather well.  :)

"I like your Christ.  I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
      December 19, 2016 12:55 PM MST

Hello S:

As a die-hard atheist, I suggest our purpose, and ONLY purpose on this earth, is to propagate..  Frankly, that's what MrWitch is saying.   I don't see ANY religious implications there.  You do?

excon This post was edited by excon at December 19, 2016 12:47 PM MST
      December 19, 2016 8:56 AM MST

Do not try and interpret the Witchman.   You are miles away from his take on things.  Not that yours is wrong or right.  IT is not the same. 

In my own humble opine?   Anyone so shallow as to take that stance that you are purporting, that man is only here to shoot out more of us, is bound for severe depression.    Wake up now, my child and see what you really are.  The times for shutting out reality and pretending you have some take on God that does not work for anyone, is long past reconsideration.

Start small.  Tell me how the smallest particle is not a particle but NOTHING?  Tell me why that does not point to God?  What is any matter but an idea?   Where did those ideas come from?  Us?  Yes. We are co-creators on this phycial plane of existence.   Is part of it God?  Oh yes.  It is, in fact. ALL God and so, my friend, are you.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 19, 2016 12:51 PM MST
      December 19, 2016 12:47 PM MST

He has proven himself to be disrespectful, sadistic and completely non caring about others feelings.
    End of Story.
      December 19, 2016 7:03 AM MST

Sounds like someone is in the kidnergarten phase of spirituality.    Hope you grow out of it and see life for what it really is and means.    You view things that way, and guess what?  That is how they appear TO YOU.    Try broadening your scope just a little as you grow up.   Most people view God this way when they did not get their puny way about something and are judging it.   That is emotionally stunted reasoning. 

God is beyond your likes and dislikes.   God is.   He is all.  Not just your petty definition.  People who talk like that fear death and think it is a punishment.  They look around and all they see is what they use to judge.   God is unseen.  God is Truth.  You may not see Him but He's the light by which you see, he is the sound by which you hear, he is the Truth by which we live. 

What is so horrible about that part?   He is US and He is here to show us the way.  That was Jesus' message.  His only message. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 19, 2016 7:14 AM MST
      December 19, 2016 7:11 AM MST

Re: "Sounds like someone is in the kidnergarten phase of spirituality. "

Hey! I resemble...er...um...resent...yeah, resent that remark!...;-D...
      December 19, 2016 7:20 AM MST

You are in the high-school phase.  After I baptize you, you will advance further, I  am certain of it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 19, 2016 7:28 AM MST
      December 19, 2016 7:22 AM MST

December 19, 2016 8:46 AM MST