Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Why do you think the police don't give tickets for littering to people who release helium balloons?

Why do you think the police don't give tickets for littering to people who release helium balloons?

Why is it littering to throw stuff on the ground, but not in the air?  Sooner or later they'll be littering the ground. 

Posted - December 19, 2016

Responses

I've never heard of one human being getting a ticket for littering.  I know it is illegal but it is very seldom enforced unless you make a huge mess somewhere. 
      December 20, 2016 12:12 AM MST

I've never even heard anyone express a concern about it.  If that same balloon WASN'T filled with helium and you threw it on the ground, you would get a ticket. It's kinna the same thing.

I don't think it's a matter of making a "huge" mess. My roomie just told me an old co-worker of hers got a ticket for tossing a cigarette butt and that's smaller than a balloon. 

This post was edited by ProblemCh1ld at December 20, 2016 12:31 AM MST
      December 20, 2016 12:28 AM MST

Maybe you would.  I wouldn't.  No one cares around here if I throw a balloon on the ground.  Trust me.  I have littered aplenty and never was taken to task for it and again I have never heard of anyone in any area that I have lived ever getting a ticket for this. 

I mean this is petty ante stuff.
      December 20, 2016 12:31 AM MST

Not everyone in every area you've lived can give you a ticket. But I bet a cop would.

Six months in jail and a $1,000 fine is not what I would call petty ante stuff.  This post was edited by ProblemCh1ld at December 20, 2016 12:37 AM MST
      December 20, 2016 12:34 AM MST

But i don't go around littering MY neighborhood or anyone else's
      December 20, 2016 1:20 AM MST

• I never known about anyone getting one but I did live near a town that had a law against intentionally  releasing balloons into the air for that reason.
      December 20, 2016 5:30 AM MST

Because some of those balloons are carrying hand written messages to newly deceased loved ones from their children. :   (  It's called heaven's mail.  It wouldn't be fair to write a ticket for that. 
      December 20, 2016 6:23 AM MST

A cynical ploy to sell balloons is that, and no mistake, surely?

A bigger concern we have in the UK is Chinese Lanterns (toy hot-air balloons), both for the obvious fire risk and for their thin wire frames being potentially hazardous to farm animals. I don't recall seeing much fuss made about toy helium- balloons, but yes, abandoned they are litter.

I gather there have been calls to ban wasting helium in this way anyway. It is extracted from natural-gas or petroleum, but exists there in very small concentrations. It has a range of serious uses, and the fear is of shortages for these. 
      December 24, 2016 6:45 PM MST