Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What are the misconceptions you have around homosexuality?

What are the misconceptions you have around homosexuality?

Posted - December 24, 2016

Responses

I assume nothing. I have met homophobes here, and that has provoked this question. Whether or whether not this apply to you is not for me to judge as long as we haven't talked or discussed such matter. I don't need to clean up my act for asking this question. You could have chosen to ignore my question as it did not apply to you in your own self-image, or you could simply have said it doesn't apply to you. Unlike your reply, my question wasn't directed at your person but was asked in general on the main board inside a Q&A site. 
      December 25, 2016 12:57 AM MST

Jewels Verne has a point. Your question DOES assume a prejudicial point of view - namely, that homophobic  beliefs are "misconceptions". Hardly the way to begin a dialogue. If you had replaced the word "misconceptions" with "perceptions", you would have had a better chance at dialogue.

Merry Christmas !!
      December 25, 2016 1:19 AM MST

Homophobic beliefs such as homosexuality equals child abuse/molesting (which were the trigger for this question) is a misconception. There will be more. Merry Christmas.
      December 25, 2016 1:58 AM MST

• Come on, how can you use the word homophobic and then try to.dissociate it from misconception? Can you name one "perception" stemming from a homophobic point of view that is.not a.misconception? 
    I agree with the argument that the.question is a little weird because I don't think I would recognize my own misconceptions.
    Don't you think that saying homophobia is part of the principles on which you base your life is a little weird too?
      December 25, 2016 2:30 AM MST

Thank you for noticing the questions construction. How would we recognise our own misconceptions? We can't really, what we can is to recognise those we don't believe in ourselves. And maybe, maybe we can try to enlighten ourselves around our phobias we might have. :-) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 25, 2016 2:41 AM MST
      December 25, 2016 2:37 AM MST

You're both missing my point. Let me try again. If you want the point of view of someone, you don't begin by asking for that point of view and labeling it a misconception. 
      December 25, 2016 2:10 PM MST

• I don't think you understand
      December 26, 2016 5:41 AM MST

• Do you truly not see how you resenting someone for not letting you hate them is sorta strange? Isn't that like being upset at someone because he criticizes you beating on your wife?
      December 25, 2016 2:35 AM MST

I had a gay friend one time,  we used to hang out together quite a bit.  He liked to talk about events in his life and I found that interesting. He would often remark to me that I am too straight and he would infer that 'you sraight guys are a bunch of slobs'
    I wonder if some gay people have misconceptions about straights... This post was edited by Kittigate at December 25, 2016 2:08 AM MST
      December 25, 2016 2:04 AM MST

I'm sure there is. By saying there is misconceptions about homosexuality I'm far from denying there won't be for other aspects in life, nor sexuities. Thank you for taking part.
      December 25, 2016 2:08 AM MST

• I think the whole thing is pretty senseless. 
    If you're religious, you're not supposed to be judging anybody anyway, that's.for God to do. Or so the Book says. And If you dont believe.in God, then why would you even care about what other people do with their genitals. I place homophobic up there with the Global warming deniers and the Flat earthers. It's all pretty fing stupid.
      December 25, 2016 2:50 AM MST

I'd have a hard time arguing you on any of your points made. Thank you. :-)
      December 25, 2016 3:00 AM MST

That is actually exists!
      December 25, 2016 3:11 AM MST

Not sure I get your point. Care to elaborate or should I better not ask?
      December 25, 2016 3:19 AM MST