Maurice214
Plingsby
Salt and Red Pepper
Zack - Mr. GenXer
walabby
President Mayhem vs. Sharonna
Lulu'sMom
thundercatmartin
TammyV2.0
Baba
SayitinaSong
PeaPod
Pepper Pot
Sunshine
Red Steele
SA (SuperA)  :)
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Have you ever rented a property?

Have you ever rented a property?

Good? A nightmare?

• 1642
    Once. But then I became a landlord of many units. After 10 years I got out of the business because I got tired of all the bull that tenents come up with! 
    1

• 4752
    Yes.   It sucks.
    1

• 850
    That's what I figured.
    2

• 4752
    It's like everything else.
    0

• 1144
    I bought a condo in PA about 6 years ago.  My first tenant, who lived there for five years, wasn't too bad.  She had a few small things that needed fixing.  Other than paying the rent a few days late on occasion, which she always notified me in advance that it would happen, she was OK. 

Now I have it rented to a young man who moved in four months ago with a 5-year old son and he's already complained about the kitchen cabinets being old, that he can't keep his too-big patio table out on the common lawn (the grass can't be mowed properly) that he can't keep his kid's toys all over the common side area overnight, that he can't park his company flatbed tow truck in the common parking area overnight and he's not happy that he can't use the fireplace (which I specified in the lease is prohibited).  This guy is too irresponsible for me to be comfortable with him building fires.  This past week,  he emailed me that the shelf in a closet came out of the wall, brackets and all.  The handyman told me that he has so much stuff on that shelf that it was amazing it took so long to fall down. 

His lease is up at the end of August and I'm not at all inclined to renew, assuming he wants to, because I will either rent it to (hopefully) more responsible tenants or, if I retire in February, possibly move down there myself.
    X
    3

• 850
    What a jerk.
    3

• 1144
    He just doesn't think rules apply to him in spite of being supplied with the condo regs before he signed his lease.
    2

• 4752
    Love it.
    1

• 1001
    I personally never rented... but I grew up in a rented accommodation.. most working class people did back then... and well, it was good and bad...  I remember that everytime something went wrong we had to wait sometimes weeks for a repair man...  OK so not everyone can fix things but very frustrating to have to wait for essential things like the boiler being broken, or the bath not being able to be used..  and there were limits on what you could do.. you could decorate etc.. but I know now that some places you cannot even paint or decorate how you like... 
    0

• 3115
    no, just an apartment, dont have the money to rent a property
    0

• 3452
    Three times and all were temporary situations; one was in college when we rented a duplex in Auburn, one was in California while I was out there with my daughter,  and the other was to live in while I learned my new city and tried to sell my house back home while finding a new one to buy.  
    0