Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » If you tell someone you're going to do something and for whatever reason you don't do it, are you breaking a promise?

If you tell someone you're going to do something and for whatever reason you don't do it, are you breaking a promise?

Or do you have to say "I promise" for it to BE a promise?

Posted - January 13, 2017

Responses

• Of course you'd be breaking a promise. That's not necessarily a big deal. Sometimes circumstances prevent us from keeping promises we made in good faith.

If I promised to tell the cops that you and I spent Saturday night in Bandywallop hunting bunyips and then I learned that you'd actually been at Wheelabarabak murdering your ex wife, I would break the promise in a heart beat. 
      January 13, 2017 7:36 AM MST

So what's the point in saying "I promise", if it's already implied without even uttering the words? 

Besides, I'm innocent. I told the cops they'd find the murder weapon in the trunk of your car. Don't you wish you'd kept your promise now?  
      January 13, 2017 10:37 PM MST

• Dang! I can hear the sirens now. I hope the cells are air conditioned. This heat wave is a bit much. :( 
      January 13, 2017 10:42 PM MST

Heat?? You have heat?  I might want to trade places with you. It's colder than a witch's .... oh, I guess I can't swear here. ;)
      January 14, 2017 8:13 AM MST

• Willingly, but only if I can bring my dog. (The heat's getting to her.) 
      January 14, 2017 11:42 AM MST

yes, unless something happened that you couldnt control and then couldnt keep your promise
      January 13, 2017 11:59 AM MST

EVEN if I never said to them "I promise"?
      January 13, 2017 10:38 PM MST