Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Be honest. Has this election changed your perspective of some of your acquaintances that voted differently than you?

Be honest. Has this election changed your perspective of some of your acquaintances that voted differently than you?

I admit that I have trouble understanding how anyone I know personally actually touts the wonders of Mr. Trump, even with clear evidence that he is not a nice human being.  I never felt this way after any other election.  I always respected political differences in my friends, family, and acquaintances.  But this time around, it's different.  I don't feel it's a difference of ideology.  I have trouble understanding how anyone can support such a negative human being.

Care to share?

Of course I won't end friendships over this.  I just ignore what they post on social media.  But it does make me scratch my head and ask some questions.

Posted - January 13, 2017

Responses

I have had a few friends that have supported and voted for Trump. And even though I may have been disappointed in their choice, we are still friends.
    They may not like my choice either, so we don't discuss it.
      January 13, 2017 11:42 AM MST

Same here Lulu.  No election can hurt a close friendship.  But I have a few acquaintances on Facebook that have shocked me with their posts.  Up until the election, they struck me as very sensitive and kind people.  I know that the issue is with me judging them.  It's why I posted this.  I don't want to have any negative feelings towards someone that voted for this man.  
      January 13, 2017 11:49 AM MST

Same here.  Politics and religion are two subjects I will not argue about with my friends.  
      January 13, 2017 12:01 PM MST

Exactly SA.
      January 13, 2017 12:04 PM MST

Same here and I have never had an issue with friends.  It was more like having an eye opener moment reading some real hateful stuff coming from people I didn't expect. I would call them "acquaintances".  Some of the words were racial and very judgmental of liberals.  It bothered me because I have some wonderful conservative friends that aren't hateful at all.  

I guess Trump is the kind of guy that will uncover what some thought they were hiding.

This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at January 13, 2017 12:34 PM MST
      January 13, 2017 12:04 PM MST

I have a niece who is a Trump supporter, but I've never heard a single 'hateful' word come from her about anything political. 
      January 13, 2017 12:11 PM MST

I do as well.  Both my niece and nephew supported Trump, but I also know they are very conservative.  They both are very loving people and I know they are not racist or hateful.  

I just hate any broad brushing of any group and my temptation to do that myself is something I needed to think out loud about.

I don't think either party had a candidate a lot of us were in love with this time around.
      January 13, 2017 12:17 PM MST

• Two of my co-workers that I have actually become friends with were Clinton supporters and I was, and am still, a Trump supporter. We would chat about it every now and again, but we never let our different political views change the friendship. I never end friendships just because someone disagrees with me even if it is political.
      January 13, 2017 11:57 AM MST

It sounds like you all supported your candidates for the right reasons and don't harp on the negatives.  I applaud you and your friends for putting friendship first.  That is the way it should be.  
      January 13, 2017 12:00 PM MST

How refreshing to hear this! 
      January 13, 2017 12:02 PM MST

• People before politics. As long as someone respects my voting decisions I'll respect theirs. That is, of course, unless you voted to ban Mountain Dew. Then we will have problems. :P
      January 13, 2017 12:17 PM MST

LOL
      January 13, 2017 12:18 PM MST

I am sure many of us have been told something by a friend that we don't approve of but we are still friends with them.
    We can still be friends even if we don't agree with each other.
      January 13, 2017 12:02 PM MST

I can with most things, but if someone is that far from my core beliefs, chances are that friendship won't last.  I am very uncomfortable around hate talk.
      January 13, 2017 12:07 PM MST

If someone has beliefs so different than my own, I'd probably not be friends with them anyway.  Anybody who is hate-filled is not someone I'd want to be friends with,  regardless of their political leaning. 
      January 13, 2017 12:19 PM MST

THAT is probably the real issue I am driving at.  Trump winning has uncovered a few things I didn't see before in a few individuals.  Maybe that is a good thing.  I would not want to get too close to anyone that is hateful inside.
      January 13, 2017 12:27 PM MST

• Yes, most definitely. Good question!
      January 13, 2017 12:23 PM MST

Thank-you for answering Lago.  It can reveal a lot about ourselves too, good and bad.  
      January 13, 2017 12:28 PM MST

• I don't know what it says about me, but it says he's a fool.
      January 13, 2017 12:39 PM MST

He really is all over the place.  I wouldn't care what party he was from.  I fear he can't exercise any control.
      January 13, 2017 1:02 PM MST

For me, it's not about the different political views. I can live with that from my friends - always have.

It's about the complete lack of ordinary human qualities that Trump seems to be devoid of. If evolution could be measured on a scale, I'd put Trump at the bottom - just behind the chimpanzees.

Racists and misogynists who "outed" themselves by a vote for Trump would not continue to be friends of mine.
      January 13, 2017 12:42 PM MST

Excellent way of putting it Louie.  I know a few loved ones voted for him because they are very "conservative" in their heart and I truly don't think they wanted to face how evil this man really is.  I can only hope they will open their eyes to what he is truly about.  Then there are others that I am not close to that seem to applaud his extreme views and hate.  Yeh.  I don't care to have that kind of thinking in my close circle.
      January 13, 2017 12:49 PM MST

Well, "loved ones" and family are a different proposition altogether. We don't pick our families. So they get a pass. This post was edited by Louie at January 13, 2017 1:35 PM MST
      January 13, 2017 1:32 PM MST

Yes it has. It has shown me how immature and hateful some of the liberals I know are.
    I was surprised at their reaction to the election. Nothing but temper tantrums and hate speech.

Hope they get over it soon.
      January 13, 2017 12:55 PM MST