Active Now

Zack
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Have your bank's fraud prevention checks ever helped you?

Have your bank's fraud prevention checks ever helped you?

I'm starting to get really ticked at my bank. It seems like every time I make more than a couple of purchases with my card in a day- even from places I commonly buy from, they lock my card. In the past, they've left me totally stranded without access to cash while I was travelling. Lately, they've been able to unlock my card when I call to complain, but it's still annoying. I know fraud detection is important, but I'm starting to think my bank is really dumb for nailing me three times now for my own normal use of my own money. Does anyone have a good story about how their bank has saved them from untold heartache because they were savvy enough to catch card fraud?

Posted - February 2, 2017

Responses

• No. I don't use auto tellers but I've never had my credit card blocked.

If I have a concern it's that my two banks aren't secure enough. My credit union (through which I do all my normal banking) permits only a six digit password (all numbers, no letters, no punctuation) which has to be entered on a floating keypad on screen. The floating pad is supposed to be enough but I have my doubts. 

Our rainy day account, which holds most of our cash, is with a bank who insist on 7 characters, one of which has to be a numeral. Far too simple for a brute-force attack.

But as far as I know, if the accounts are accessed illegally it is the bank who is responsible for any loss.  
      February 2, 2017 2:49 AM MST

6 digits are plenty if the bank handle it right, just put in a delay before a third or fourth attempt for that card can be entered, then make the delay longer the more failed attempts accumulate. Even if a 'brute forcer' knows about this it will take years before he get both the number right and the waiting time long enough. As an the extra bonus the person trying will never know which entries were really wrong and which were just rejected by the delay ;-))
    Of course the real owner of the card will complain to the bank if it happens by accident, and get the delay cleared.
      February 2, 2017 3:19 AM MST

• Thanks, Jakob. Good to know. 
      February 2, 2017 2:09 PM MST

They have been 'in the way' a couple of times, but they have also helped at other times.
      February 2, 2017 3:27 AM MST

Hello JA:

If I thought my bank had MY interests at heart, I'd LOVE their fraud investigations..  But, every time they intervene, I get that they think I'M the one doing the fraud.  There was a time when banks looked out for their customers interests..  Now, they're looking out for the GOVERNMENTS interests..

So, when passing time with my teller and she casually asks me what I do, I DON'T think it's casual at all..  I think she's SNOOPING for the government..

excon
      February 2, 2017 4:40 AM MST

• When was this magical time of noble banks with customer interest at heart above all else?  The history books suggest otherwise.
      February 2, 2017 5:41 AM MST

Hello Glis:

I dunno when, exactly, Glis.  But, it was BEFORE the government passed laws that FORCES banks to snitch on their customers..  As proof, I suggest the lure of Cayman banks, for example, is that they DON'T snitch on their customers..

excon
      February 3, 2017 7:37 AM MST

• Any real proof?
    Pretty sure the lure of Cayman Islands is taxes.
    Banks have never had their customers interests first. It's always been about making money off of other peoples money.
      February 3, 2017 7:40 AM MST

Hello again, Glis:

Well, ULTIMATELY, you're right.  The PURPOSE of using a bank that won't snitch on you IS tax avoidance, and maybe even JAIL avoidance too..  

And, I don't disagree about what a banks motives are either..  It just seems like SECRECY is benefit that customers WANT..

excon
      February 3, 2017 7:50 AM MST

• Fair enough.  Not trying to be jerk or ride ya'.  Just kinda confused on which side your on over the issue and find the statement counter to a lot of your other state views.  There seems to be something interesting here to me but can't quite get the full scope of  what you're trying to throw down, but I'm kinda interested.
      February 3, 2017 8:03 AM MST

Hello again, Glis:

No problem.. Even when you disagreed, you did it politely..

I'm not sure what you mean...  I don't like the government SNOOPING on me.  I especially don't like it when they REQUIRE the people I do business with to SNITCH on me.  You know, people like my phone company, my email company, the search engine I use, my BANK, of course, probably my doctor, and maybe even my pharmaceutical company..

Even as a lefty, I don't wanna pay more taxes than I owe, and I WILL take whatever steps I can to SHIELD myself FROM the government..

I
    find those beliefs to be entirely consistent..

excon
      February 3, 2017 8:23 AM MST

• I kinda get it.  I'm not even sure  if I am disagreeing with you to be honest.
    Tough situation with a lot of needed balance on the subject.  Going to far either way creates bad situations.  I think we might agree on that.
    It's kinda hard to put trust in either one to do the right things.
    I hear ya' about the individual's right to privacy.
      February 3, 2017 8:42 AM MST

Hello again, Glis:

It's NOT a matter of trust..  It's a matter of law..  US law REQUIRES your bank to snitch.. Laws in tax havens FORBID their banks from snitching..

excon
      February 3, 2017 10:31 AM MST

• Read reply below. Same thing applies.
      February 3, 2017 10:50 AM MST

I used to write for a company that helped people set up their offshore banking accounts. Privacy is a real draw. Some of it has to do with taxes, but the wealthy tend to want their finances private. Here, you run a credit report and all your stuff shows up on it. Big amounts of money draw the attention of the government- not just the IRS, and they can often take all of your money. It used to be a big thing with suspected drug dealers. They'd take all their money and consider it "drug money." Meanwhile, the person, who may be innocent and may have earned some or all of the funds through legal means, can't even afford a lawyer. The laws have since changed on that. The gov't can only take/ freeze what they can prove is related to the sale of drugs, but where there's a will there's a way.

Situations like this with the gov't, fraud, identity theft, etc... they're all reasons to keep your "eggs" in different baskets. Mmm.... not to mention that whole mess in Greece. Switzerland used to be the country known specifically for being private. They'd let people open up accounts with no personal information. They biffed it a couple years back and started sharing info with the US to help us catch tax evaders. That's all good and fine, but, really, they're just  taking our government's word that we owe money and we may not. Should the gov't really be able to follow us out of the country? 
      February 3, 2017 10:22 AM MST

• No denial.  Good points.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the implication that banks were ever or are our friends or on our side.  I'm equally distrustful of both and see them mostly one of the same. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 3, 2017 10:29 AM MST
      February 3, 2017 10:25 AM MST

Hello again, Glis:

Nobody is saying the banks are on our side, or that they're friendly..  As you mentioned earlier, they're in existence for PROFIT, and PROFIT only..  Turns out, keeping a clients information PRIVATE is VERY profitable..  They certainly don't do it to be nice. 

As JA mentioned, the US puts pressure on tax havens because they want them to squeal..  But, the world is such, that as soon as ONE tax haven is split open, another one opens somewhere else..  People REALLY do want privacy..  Ordinary people too.  You don't have to be rich to want privacy..  It's easy to open an offshore bank account..  You can probably do it from your computer..

excon
    This post was edited by excon at February 3, 2017 10:50 AM MST
      February 3, 2017 10:46 AM MST

• You're just stating facts without bringing any ideas, solutions, or concepts. You're not making any point.
      February 3, 2017 10:49 AM MST

Hello again, Glis:

Ok..  Then I guess we're done..

e
    xcon
      February 3, 2017 10:57 AM MST

"Liberal" Capitalists are often confused. You can't be both...
      February 3, 2017 11:04 AM MST

• You can't?
      February 3, 2017 11:07 AM MST

I have had someone get ahold of my card number more than once. It is not fun. But the bank has always covered it and it cost me nothing.  They have never flagged it first though. I detected it and notified them.

If your bank is doing this regularly you might check your account details. It maybe have a limited amount of transactions allowed in a very specific time frame usually monthly.
      February 2, 2017 4:52 AM MST

I asked them about this the other day and they're very hush-hush about their practices. There's no predefined limit. The rep said it was about behavior patterns. When things work out right, I have a habit of paying all my bills, or at least half a month, when my funds come in. I work for myself, so I don't have a set payday, but if my clients pay all at once, I just go through and do all my outgoing bills at once. Then, I don't touch the account for a couple of weeks. That apparently looks "suspicious." It's ok for me to not spend money, but the moment I go through and pay my bills/ grab money for groceries/ etc... it apparently trips their fraud detection every time. 
      February 3, 2017 10:31 AM MST

That makes sense for the first time they flag it. But not after that because then it is not out of the normal behavior. I am also self employed so I understand paying bills as soon as money is available.  I know if it happened to me that often I would likely to changing banks. 
      February 3, 2017 12:46 PM MST