Discussion » Questions » Fill in the Blank » You might be a Brit if you_______________________

You might be a Brit if you_______________________

Posted - February 2, 2017

Responses

• The obvious one is like tea?  I'd say eat cucumber sandwiches but that is a myth, much to the disappointment of one of my lovely American friends
      February 2, 2017 3:14 PM MST

• Have to "have a think" on something!
      February 2, 2017 3:14 PM MST

Or a wank.
      February 2, 2017 3:17 PM MST

• Call a strange ( albeit tasty) type of dinner  roll "pudding".

February 2, 2017 3:28 PM MST

• It's not a dinner roll, it's a Yorkshire Pudding. It's batter.
      February 3, 2017 3:10 AM MST

• If that's pudding what's this?... Delicious (and Healthy) Fat-Burning Chocolate Pudding Recipe
      February 3, 2017 6:37 AM MST

• That's a bowl of chocolate. To be honest, I don't know why the Yorkie is called a pudding. 
      February 3, 2017 6:42 AM MST

• Chocolate pudding.

Yah I know.   For some reason I like to jest about it. Yorkie pudding is good though.
      February 3, 2017 7:37 AM MST

• Me neither.. but I think perhaps from pudding batter? Pretty much the same batter can be made into pancakes tho it has a lower fat content. 

I think the thing is... a lot of us call it dessert anyway...  so perhaps some confusion along the way about the meaning of pudding.
      February 3, 2017 8:04 AM MST

• Of course, pudding batter. Always seems to be some confusion about the meaning of pudding. You have to watch what you say. )
      February 3, 2017 8:33 AM MST

• A bowl of chocolate, that's.funny.
      February 3, 2017 8:26 AM MST

• Absolutely.. it isn't bread so not a roll as such.. and you can get the same batter to be sweet so ..
      February 3, 2017 7:59 AM MST

• We're confusing people.
      February 3, 2017 8:34 AM MST

• Rename aluminum, aluminium
      February 2, 2017 3:29 PM MST

• Hang on, it was you lot that renamed it. That "ium" finish was standard for all metallic elements -- at least, it was in the 1940s when I was at school.
      February 2, 2017 3:50 PM MST

• Nah,  Davy at first named it Alumium but then changed it to aluminum.   It was then changed to aluminium by the others because they didn't like that it didn't follow the ium scheme most other discovers stuck to.   The original name by the person who discovered it was aluminum though.

Not all metallic elements follow the ium convention.   Not all elements with -ium are metals either.  Some are metalloids  and selenium is completely non-metalic
      February 2, 2017 4:09 PM MST

• My schoolboy education bows to your erudition. I always wondered about that. Thought it was just an Americanism. Now, do you know why sulphur changed to sulfur? 
      February 2, 2017 4:28 PM MST

• We always spelled it sulfur over here.   Both were accepted but Britain standardized as sulphur at some point.   Why y'all would change is beyond me. If that's what your saying.

The real question is why they decided to rename Tantalium to Tantalum. Maybe Element99 knows that one.
      February 2, 2017 4:39 PM MST

• Maybe he should consider becoming Einsteinum. 
      February 2, 2017 5:19 PM MST

Or Einsteininium.
      February 3, 2017 6:13 AM MST

I have no clue.
      February 3, 2017 6:12 AM MST

• Wellllllllllllll since it was an English chemist who originally started work on it... we reserve the right to rename it :P Ditto re sulphur it's an ancient thing so since we invented English we can do as we please :P  Interesting tho... what do you call sulfuric acid? sulfuric? 
      February 4, 2017 2:32 AM MST

...if you say you "get on" with certain people.  I get a kick out of that.
      February 2, 2017 3:29 PM MST

• Call everyone you don't get on with a cheeky C***. 

( can't get away with using that liberally here)
      February 2, 2017 3:31 PM MST