Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Business » Were you surprised to hear Nordstrom's still exists? Like, who goes shopping anymore. Can't you just totally use an app?

Were you surprised to hear Nordstrom's still exists? Like, who goes shopping anymore. Can't you just totally use an app?

I feel it must be, like, old people or something.

Posted - February 9, 2017

Responses

If you are anti-social and I totally am. It seems to be the thing to do.
      February 9, 2017 11:14 AM MST

• I love Nordstrom. The Rail usually has a nice selection, albeit I'm not usually in the market for a $100 T-shirt...
      February 9, 2017 11:17 AM MST

I never even heard of Nordstrom until this thingy with what's her name.
      February 9, 2017 12:05 PM MST

It's out of my price range.  only been one store in Dallas 20 years ago. That was enough.
      February 9, 2017 12:27 PM MST

You can shop online at Nordstrom's.
      February 9, 2017 1:50 PM MST

February 9, 2017 1:52 PM MST

• You know what Mr Brom? you actually have a pretty awesome sense of humour :)
      February 9, 2017 3:54 PM MST

• Someday, everything and everyone you love will be forgotten
      February 10, 2017 12:49 AM MST

I don't know Nordstrom's - as far as I know it has no branches in the UK, but posts above suggest it's a pricey clothes shop I'd not use anyway. However the OP's rather tangled qualifier suggests there is no need to go out to physical shops. Nor, by extension, to go out at all... 

The remark about "old people" is like, plain daft. Like. I see people of all ages out shopping, and whilst it's certainly true many do now shop extensively on-line or by other forms of mail-order (I do occasionally but not habitually), actually viewing the goods physically rather than in mere photos, can be very helpful.

It also gets you out of the house - I do not go into the town very often because most of the shops I need regularly are all near me, but when I do like to pop into one or another café, or stroll along the sea-front; and there is always a chance of meeting a friend or relative. I wonder if some people now are so besotted by the question's implied notion of the Internet serving nearly all their shopping, entertainment and vicarious social needs that they will become house-bound by choice; losing social skills, becoming afraid and unable to mingle with crowds, unable to make real friends easily. It's a gloomy thought and I hope I am wrong, for their sakes.

The slur about "old people" also misses the mark for a deeper reason. Many old people cannot easily get out into town so rely on mail-order even for basics like food - one British supermarket van carries glossy pictures of greengroceries with the caption "Freshly clicked". So many of those who use the Internet regularly for shopping do so because they are in fact elderly, perhaps partly disabled, and may live far from any bus services. 

If chains like Nordstrom survive it is because they have sufficient customers choosing to make the effort to get out of the house and visit their premises - and not merely from being "old" or not using so-called "apps"! Like...   
      February 13, 2017 4:11 PM MST