Discussion » Questions » Emotions » We've all heard the comment, "s/he is only happy when s/he has something to complain about."

We've all heard the comment, "s/he is only happy when s/he has something to complain about."

Do you know somebody like that? Is the comment literally true? How do you respond to them? 

Posted - February 9, 2017

Responses

• yeah! Bigger than grrrrrr ......RAAAAAAAAAAAAR! :)
      February 11, 2017 5:43 PM MST

February 11, 2017 5:48 PM MST

• Yessss! And if I hadnt got disgusted with the crap other site... I wouldn't have met you .... So all good . RAAAAAAR :)
      February 11, 2017 5:51 PM MST

Aww. Sweetest thing said. Yay!!!
      February 11, 2017 5:56 PM MST

The word I use to describe such people is "contrary".

No, I don't think that they are genuinely happy at all. While I do feel bad for such people, I try to avoid them. Who needs all that negativity?? Not me!
      February 9, 2017 8:30 PM MST

• You picked up the point I was looking for. They may be most at home when they're complaining but it doesn't do anything to cheer them up. It might get them some attention. :(
      February 9, 2017 9:52 PM MST

Hmm let's see, my mom, both of my grandmas, my husband's grandma, umm yeah I'm starting to notice a pattern taking shape here lol.

Unfortunately I'm mom's favorite thing to complain about.

My grandmas were truly happy complaining.  I'm not exaggerating!  When they got together at family things all they ever did was complain and they enjoyed it so much they didn't want to stop!

Then there's my hubby's grandma.  She's in a class all by herself!  One time my mother-in-law told her if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all.  That basically brought an end to the visit because she went silent.  Unfortunately I'm one of her favorite things to complain about also :-(
      February 9, 2017 8:39 PM MST

• Good grief, Livvie, your family seems even more messed up than mine was -- and they were very messed up. :(
      February 9, 2017 9:53 PM MST

Families have a way of having weird people in them but those people in my family who are weird think they're all normal and I'm the weird one lol.
      February 10, 2017 2:01 PM MST

• It's been said before but thank goodness we get to choose our friends. 
      February 10, 2017 2:09 PM MST

You're one of my favourite things too, but not to complain about. Ahem.
      February 10, 2017 2:14 AM MST

My mother-in-law is like that. I don't spend much time with her. On special occasions where we are expected at her house I have a three hour limit. My husband knows this and come to respect it. I could give examples,  but I don't want to end up sounding like her.
      February 9, 2017 8:50 PM MST

• I was pretty lucky there. My ma-in-law didn't like me but she didn't whine all the time. That was Mum's hobby. 
      February 9, 2017 9:54 PM MST

Yes, I've met them, and still meet some from time to time.

I was once told to see the positive things in my life, and enjoy them; positive thoughts gives a better overall mental state. Negativity will create a darker mind, and not leave any room for whatever little positive thing there is. I try to remember this when I'm getting into a more negative mood.
      February 10, 2017 2:24 AM MST

• They're kind of depressing. I like positive, too. We've laughed our way through a lot of difficult times.
      February 10, 2017 2:45 AM MST

Positive mindset does help, even in the worst situation they will give hope.
      February 10, 2017 4:08 AM MST

Yes, I've had family members that did that.  They're gone now so I only think about the good times we shared and don't waste my time thinking about the negative stuff.

I had a very close childhood friend that does this.  Sadly, after 40 years of the self-created problems & drama, I finally hit my breaking point and ended the friendship.  It wasn't easy but I found the complaining and general negativity only increased as we aged and it was impinging upon my life.  Some people just don't know how to get out of their own way.
      February 10, 2017 5:09 AM MST

• I understand that completely. It's painful to make the break, especially after such a long time, but there's a feeling of freedom when you let go.
      February 10, 2017 2:11 PM MST