Discussion » Questions » Language » British English, American English and ... Strine

British English, American English and ... Strine

A woman at a Sydney book signing said to author, Alastair Morrison, "Emma Chisett" and he wrote, "To Emma Chisett with best wishes..." She was annoyed. She had really asked him, "How much is it?" but enunciated it so badly that he thought she was giving her name. 

As a result he wrote a book called "Let Stalk Strine" (Let's talk Australian) and used the pen name Afferbeck Lauder (alphabetical order).

How does language get mangled where YOU live? Want to share some examples?

Posted - February 11, 2017

Responses

Sounds like my home town. 
      February 11, 2017 2:36 PM MST

• We won't hold that against you Tiger.
    I'll be making your peach cobbler, again, tomorrow for my oldest son. He requested it.
      February 11, 2017 2:51 PM MST

Yay!!
    I'm glad you like it!
      February 12, 2017 6:28 AM MST

• I gave the recipe to Angela yesterday, hope you don't mind.
      February 12, 2017 7:14 AM MST

• Local makes a difference. I had to unlearn a lot of the pronunciation I was taught as a child, but by-and-large my parents were pretty good. 
      February 11, 2017 2:39 PM MST

Spanish "muchas gracias" means "many thanks". Zonies (residents of Arizona) like to say "much grass". Newcomers are somewhat mystified the first few times they hear that.
      February 11, 2017 2:37 PM MST

• I knew muchas gracias, of course, but much grass was an education. You sure they weren't talking about a supply of weed? And Zonies is a new one for me. Thanks, Jewels. :)
      February 11, 2017 2:41 PM MST

The term "Zonies" originated in San Diego. I have not investigated that story at all.
      February 12, 2017 7:32 AM MST

• Reminds me of that aussie girl... the one all the politicians were screwing on the side but whose virtue they upheld in public ..Laura Norda
      February 11, 2017 3:04 PM MST

• They like stuffing around with her, don't they. :D
      February 11, 2017 5:18 PM MST

• Oh they do....most unseemly
      February 11, 2017 5:21 PM MST

I am told that the Boston phone book has, or used to have an entry that said "Bonds And Noble - see Barnes And Noble".
      February 12, 2017 7:34 AM MST

• Funny! Dunno why, but it reminded me of this...

Here's to dear old Boston
    the home of the bean and the cod;
    Where Lowells talk only to Cabots,
    And Cabots talk only to God.
      February 12, 2017 10:42 AM MST