Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Do you miss the fireworks?

Do you miss the fireworks?

When I was a kid we had fireworks on May 24, Empire Day. We built whopping great bonfires and let off loads of crackers. These days everybody is so safety conscious that kids, even parents, are not allowed to set off fireworks.

What is it that YOU remember from childhood that you were allowed to do but that modern kids miss out on?

Posted - February 13, 2017

Responses

• Bike riding, where you are outdoors playing with your friends. Today's kids stay inside and play video games with their friend. What kind of exercise is that? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 13, 2017 10:37 PM MST
      February 13, 2017 10:01 PM MST

• Not a lot, Benny. No comparison. Sorry you left., whoever you were.
      February 13, 2017 10:38 PM MST

I thought people still did fireworks. We're only not allowed to do them when there's a burn ban. Anyway, I miss spending entire days playing outside with my sister. We loved digging huge pits and filled them with water so we can play in the mud. We also liked exploring in the woods and pretended we were being chased by a crazy murderous cannibal. Camping in the backyard was fun, too. Modern kids are still allowed to do that, but they'd rather stay inside with their computers and whatnot.
      February 13, 2017 11:00 PM MST

• Oh, yeah. Good fun. And, in Oz, the sale of fireworks has been illegal for many decades. Our local school has a fireworks night on June 6 (the Queen's official birthday). 
      February 13, 2017 11:32 PM MST

I was never allowed to set off fireworks as a kid. There was a boy in my neighborhood when I was 5 or 6 who ended up in the hospital. If I remember correctly some how he blinded himself in one eye. That was all my mother needed to prevent from letting my brothers and I from ever using them.

What I see kids today missing out on is the ability to be free to learn. We were allowed to fail and learn from our mistakes. Our parents let us try things and learn from them. Parents today just keeping telling their kids not to do things because they may get hurt. For us it was a badge of honor to have a scraped knee or stitches. Now parents are afraid it will leave a scar. To me scars are a sign of a life that has been lived well. It shows the person got out of their comfort zone, and tried something that may not have gone as planned, but at least they tried.
      February 13, 2017 11:15 PM MST

• Yes, indeed. I've noticed that, too. Ya gotta let 'em take their lumps.
      February 13, 2017 11:33 PM MST

• That's bullcrap Didge.   

I live in a sissy Nanny state so fireworks have always been illegal until a year ago when NY decided to legalize sparklers and small fountains.  Only for a few weeks around  July 4th and New Years though.

We always just went to PA and bought a truck load of them though as does everyone else.  If everyone is blowing things up, they can't really stop ya'.

More bonfires, more explosions!
      February 14, 2017 9:14 AM MST

• Ah, you're making me all nostalgic, Glis. Sure there were accidents from time to time but all of us were willing to take that chance -- parents as well as kids. Then the government decided to protect us from ourselves. :(
      February 14, 2017 12:45 PM MST

• Fun and is too dangerous now.    Truth is if it isn't a little dangerous it isn't fun at all.

I hear ya', that protecting people from themselves is bullcrap.
      February 14, 2017 1:09 PM MST

State laws vary.  Fireworks are legal in my state now.  When they were illegal, we had a guy we got them from.  They were the kind that went real high up, but we never got in trouble for them, though, and we lived next door to the township supervisor.  The guy we bought them from got caught, had to pay a fine and wear a tether for 6 months.  Just about the time he got off tether the law changed. 

Too many things to list.  I am glad I grew up when I did. 
      February 14, 2017 1:52 PM MST

• I had to look up "wear a tether". I didn't realise what they were and hadn't heard of them being used as part of a parole arrangement. But you're right: growing up back in the day was a whole lot more interactive than it is today, and a whole lot more exciting. 

Hmm, did I say more dangerous? ;-)
      February 14, 2017 6:04 PM MST

Living is dangerous.  We rode on the highway in the back of a pickup, rode motorcycles without helmets, didn't wear seatbelts or use car seats, and a slew of other things that today woud be considered a ticketable offense or downright criminal.  We survived and thrived.  Someone who lives their lives never taking risks and always being careful can easily end up dying from a simple fall or even by using a device meant to keep them safe.  I have "cheated death" several times...my number wasn't up yet.
      February 14, 2017 7:58 PM MST

• I've had my share of narrow escapes, too. They're inevitable. Still we made it this far, Bozette. Somebody up there must like use. Hmm. Or else he'd rather keep us at arms length for as long as possible. >:-/
      February 14, 2017 8:00 PM MST

I'm hoping for quite a while longer.  :)
      February 14, 2017 8:24 PM MST