Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Language » The phrase "same difference"...what does it mean? Can you think of any other confusing or useless phrases?

The phrase "same difference"...what does it mean? Can you think of any other confusing or useless phrases?

Posted - February 14, 2017

Responses

• From Urban dictionary : Another way of saying "whatever". It is often confused with "same thing", but you're really saying "OK, I admit that they're not the same thing, but they're not different enough for me to really care about it."

10 American Slang Terms and Phrases That Confuse Brits ...

February 14, 2017 7:37 AM MST

• Nine of those were familiar but I hadn't come across "pork". Interesting list, though.
      February 14, 2017 1:06 PM MST

• One from Shakespeare himself ... Parting is such "sweet sorrow."
      February 14, 2017 8:00 AM MST

Yes.   It makes perfect sense.  When someone tries to explain two qualities that are dissimilar and they in fact are NOT, that response is perfect.

So, if I tell you that my husband is not mean but he tends to be a bully, the logical reply would be?  Same difference.

If the difference is, in fact, identical (or seemingly),  there is no difference because the difference is exactly the same in both examples.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 14, 2017 11:15 AM MST
      February 14, 2017 8:02 AM MST

I have no idea what you just said. I didn't know you were married.
      February 14, 2017 11:16 AM MST

• It means there is no significant difference between two choices.  It was an expression which really upset the most stupid person in all history, my father. "Christ I hate that goddamn expression! How can a thing be the same and different?"
      February 14, 2017 8:03 AM MST

• Yes, Make America Great Again, that's pretty confusing and useless.
      February 14, 2017 8:21 AM MST

My mother would always tell me "you could if you wanted to.."

Ok mom. How do I make myself WANT to?
      February 14, 2017 9:20 AM MST

• Adults never get that part about being a kid.
      February 14, 2017 9:42 AM MST

• One that puzzles me is the Americanism "I could care less" compared to the British "I couldn't care less." The first make it clear that if you could care less then you must still care a little bit. 

Hey, Randy D! Are you out there?
      February 14, 2017 1:08 PM MST