Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » aM question categories:

aM question categories:

Skimming through the categories I cam across "Death and Dying". I was reluctant to use it because many folk find such considerations macabre or creepy. How do you feel about it as a subject or, eventually, as a personal destination?

Posted - February 16, 2017

Responses

•  I've seen things die right in front of me.  Had to put pets down.   Buried friends and family.  It's not pleasant but it's reality and just a part of life.
      February 16, 2017 8:16 PM MST

• My thought also, but talking about it still freaks out some people.
      February 16, 2017 8:19 PM MST

• I think having hunted and trapped has brought a different perspective and acceptance.
      February 16, 2017 8:24 PM MST

• I've posted questions here under that category ... Posted it as a music Q I think ... But was thinking of someone who had  passed. I think it's fine. 
      February 16, 2017 8:22 PM MST

• It's unpleasant, but it's part of life. There's nothing we can do to change it. I've been to too many funerals. Holding my dog's paw when he was put to sleep was rough. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 16, 2017 8:42 PM MST
      February 16, 2017 8:22 PM MST

• I can understand that. We'll probably have to face it fairly soon. 
      February 16, 2017 8:43 PM MST

Sometimes a person has to ask themselves, "do I fear death because it may hurt or because I'll never get to be around my loved ones again". This post was edited by Zack at February 16, 2017 8:48 PM MST
      February 16, 2017 8:24 PM MST

• That's the big question. I used to wonder how hard I'd fight -- or if I'd fight at all -- if I had cancer. When it happened the only factor worth considering was leaving Lynne on her own. 
      February 16, 2017 8:44 PM MST

Death and Dying Huh?
         There is too much misconception.
    Most people identify with the body
    and think they are born and that they will die.
       The Self never dies. (Who you really are)
    You are continuous as you take another body,
    there is no death.
    You simply leave the body
    and continue the journey
    with whatever ego one is holding onto.
       But mostly people see it as the big Good bye.
    and go through much suffering and sadness.

so I enjoy the subject
    to bring understanding to life

February 16, 2017 8:31 PM MST

• It's as variation on the beliefs that are held by many, Baba, and I'm not going to argue. You may be right. Personally I expect oblivion but I'm willing to be surprised. :)
      February 16, 2017 8:46 PM MST

Didge, I am glad you do not want to argue with me on this subject,
    because I am not here to argue with anyone about anything.
    You asked our opinion about this subject, and I simply gave you mine
    through what I have experienced and know to be true.
         Indeed you should not take my opinion to be true
    or anyones opinion to be the absolute truth about this. The only
    understanding of the Truth we should  believe is what we experience
    within our Self.
         So a direct experience of this Truth within
    is the key. This knowledge is within each of us
    when we lose our Ego and there are no  thoughts running through 
    our mind. Then and only then can we understand what you are referring to.
    When the Ego disappears, the answer to this matter immediately becomes clear.

anyway, Cheers Didge
    and Have a happy day in Oz land.
      February 17, 2017 7:49 AM MST

• I'm sorry if my comment seemed unappreciative. It wasn't meant to be that way. When I said, "I'm not going to argue" it wasn't a point of disagreement but an acknowledgement that your opinion is worth every bit as much as mine. Indeed, since you seem to have spent much time on the subject (as have I) it may be worth a lot more. 

On the other hand, when I put up a topic for discussion I'm not going to turn it into an attack on somebody else's thoughts, even though I may strongly disagree with them. So I dodge, and weave, and perhaps leave a non-commital answer or maybe make a joke. It would be churlish to invite a response then slap the person who made it. 

Again, sorry if there was a misunderstanding.
      February 17, 2017 3:15 PM MST

• It's just the end of a journey. Why not talk about it.
      February 16, 2017 8:31 PM MST

• Yesssss :) agree with you on that .... Now back to burning apples :)
      February 16, 2017 8:37 PM MST

• Related image
      February 16, 2017 8:41 PM MST

• Lol :) 
      February 16, 2017 8:47 PM MST

• For thee and me? No reason at all. For some it's terrifying -- especially if they think there's hell fire waiting for them. 
      February 16, 2017 8:47 PM MST

• Hellfire and brimstone.
      February 16, 2017 9:07 PM MST

• Tragically, it's only believers who have to fear it.
      February 16, 2017 9:18 PM MST

If you really want to freak people out about death and dying just tell them about your past life when you're a little kid!  It works every time.

I was only five or six the first time I thought about death and dying but I didn't think it was a big deal.  My dad was talking to me and he was asking me about things I remembered.  He didn't think a five or six year old girl would have a lot of memories but I showed him!

The only thing I remember now about that conversation was it freaked mom out because she's a hardcore Christian and she said my memory was wrong but when I was a teenager dad filled me in on the details of the conversation.

I was drawing a picture of a family and dad asked who I was drawing.  I told him it was my old family.  When he asked me more about it I told him I was the mom but then I died and I went to a place where people were just balls of light and talked to each other by thinking.  Then I told him I remembered being inside mom and now I'm with you.

I would have forgotten all about that but mom called the pastor to come over to the house and have a talk with me about because that's just not how it works so that's why I still remember it.

Dad still has the picture.

My little cousin is being raised by her grandpa (my dad's brother) and when she was six years old she totally freaked him out with another story about living before.  She doesn't remember it now but my uncle was totally creeped out by it for a long time.
      February 16, 2017 10:06 PM MST

• I'm familiar with this sort of experience, Livvie, and have a couple of stories from people I've met. They'd take a lot of telling here but I do NOT dismiss your story as fantasy. One of them carried its own proof. Thanks for sharing this.

February 16, 2017 11:53 PM MST

• I've heard similar stories mostly from children who couldn't possibly have the knowledge of the things they speak about.

I'm a very spiritual person but one of my children once said to me when we were on the playground that he'd played on a place just like that before he was born and then he pointed to the sky.  It was an odd thing for a child to say, he was only about two years old and it sent shivers down my spine.
      February 16, 2017 10:23 PM MST

• Kids are remarkable. See my comment below Livvie's answer. 

I attended a funeral in 2000. During the service the priest said that he had gone to the house to try to bring a little comfort to the widow and her 4 year-old son. He said to the boy, "Your daddy has gone to Heaven to be with Jesus." And the boy said, "No he hasn't. He's standing right there." And he pointed to a place near the window. Kids sometimes have the ability to see things that are no longer visible to us. 
      February 16, 2017 11:56 PM MST

• I do believe children can see things that we can't because their minds are open and they are not aware that people are skeptical about these things.

I've had several experiences that convince me there is something else after we leave this life and I do believe that, perhaps for a short time although I'm not sure about that part, our loved ones don't leave us.

February 17, 2017 11:27 PM MST