Active Now

Malizz
Zack
Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Questions » Family » Continue relationship with cousin who does not seem interested?

Continue relationship with cousin who does not seem interested?

I have two cousins, who are half my age, just entered college.. when they were growing up, I'd babysit them, play with them, laugh etc. They have EVERYthing and more, money wise, and now are going to very good schools. Only thing is, in the last couple years, they've shown no interest to truly be with me/hang out... I have always had to make the effort. I thought, well, they are only 18, etc.. but, at 18 I was making contact with my other cousin when I wanted to see them...so , I wonder, do I go make the hours long visit to see them (they have not personally invited me.. ) at their schools, or kind of let it go.. ? Someone told me to back off, b/c why should I make the only effort to see/hang out.. but I still feel a sliver of guilt. I'm not sure why though.. they both do not ask me about my life or me ever. I just don't want to appear stand off ish either, or like I don't care at all, it's just I feel empty and not full of enthusiasm about visit-  any ideas welcome..

Posted - February 18, 2017

Responses

Let it go. 
    ~
      February 19, 2017 12:08 AM MST

Ty R... I just know their parents, are very judgemental.. my grandmother hints oh why don't you go see (my cousin) b/c they are home for break now.. ? and I know it is not her saying it... she does NOT care whether I see them, she rarely talks at all, it is her son most likely asking why I don't see my cousins- then I feel badly, yet he really has no idea they do not ask about me ever.. do not ever initiate seeing me. :/ Its hard to say, who cares ANY more what they think, when it is family.... but I have to think that way I think .... ty again
      February 19, 2017 9:05 AM MST

Wow, it sure seems as if there are a lot of family members involved here who don't communicate well, directly, or honestly with each other.

:[

February 19, 2017 10:35 AM MST

I come from the same sort of family and if you take it on, you will never feel well inside.  It's sad, but there are many people that cannot live their lives without wanting to make others feel bad.  

Life is too short.  It's not easy, but cutting out toxic people is very liberating and necessary, even if it's family.
      February 19, 2017 10:42 AM MST

exactly P...family in my case does not feel that way at all..a few are ver y disagreeable and dont evet initiate being with or talking to me.. Then complain they dont see me???? my own mother is also cruel and is someone im trying to cut tied with.. Fot good or many years...with my cousins i feel bad that i have not visited their college but on other hand they really show no inyerest in me....ugh how i wish we coulld all have families that cared as much as we have ????ThNk you so much for your thoughts today P
      February 20, 2017 10:11 AM MST

• Dear Baybreeze,

I myself would feel fine about just letting it go...as Randy D mentions...

Or, maybe I might keep minimal contact, a birthday card or a greeting card now and then...a cheerful note telling them how you are doing and wishing them well, but not asking for any response. Then, when and if they are ready, you will have kept the communication lines open.

I saw on YouTube the other day that each of us only has three billion heartbeats to spend in our lifetime, and I would put those beautiful heartbeats of yours into your own most fulfilling and meaningful activities.
      February 19, 2017 1:21 AM MST

Beautifully stated!
      February 19, 2017 5:50 AM MST

Thanks V :) That was so special, the note about our hearts having three billion heartbeats, and to spend it seeking what I enjoy .. :) That meant a lot, b/c often I'm trying to please someone ELSE. It has been that way since a small child even, trying to give, or please another  .. I was abused in a chaotic household weekly, for years, and felt, I guess I must be 'bad'... now as an adult it seems the more I have given, whether physical things or emotion to ppl, the less they actually cared!! It hurts a lot- b/c people think 'nice' might mean less, and now I know that is far from the truth, I'm not less, in any way- most don't take ANY time to get back to people , show them real concern etc.  That's how I feel with my cousins, or even my friends.. if you are not showy, or have $$, they don't care.. :/ Well thank you again for your GREAT response :)
      February 19, 2017 8:57 AM MST

The hurt is very real and that comes from the chaos we grew up with.  I always needed to "fix" the "broken" and that really clouded my ability to pick and choose healthy people into my adulthood.  

We are decent caring people that simply need to walk away sometimes.  It doesn't mean we don't love them.  If you put your effort out there, then you did more than called for.  Once you realize WHY you put your efforts into those that can't or won't give back, you have a better chance at learning you have more control than you thought over your own happiness.

February 19, 2017 11:00 AM MST

Many times the ppl who give the most are the ones who are hurt the most. But you need to give yourself a break and not feel guilt.  It took me years to be able to do for me without feeling guilty about NOT doing for others.  In the end it will bring you more satisfaction doing for those who appreciate your kindness. 
      February 19, 2017 11:44 AM MST

Love that last paragraph Virginia.  I too need to remember this.
      February 19, 2017 10:44 AM MST

Great answer Virginia. That is pretty much what I do these days.
    Most of us take different directions when we get older and live different lives and it doesn't mean we have any less love for those we no longer have much contact with. We just have moved on with our own lives.
      February 19, 2017 11:32 AM MST

So true! 
      February 19, 2017 12:08 PM MST

• I really like your observation, LuluMom...for me it dates back to the 1980's when I came upon a comment attributed to Albert Einstein, he spoke of the need to move on with his own life, releasing others at the point when we become constrained, rather than enhanced, by a relationship.

I thought Baybreeze's Q was one of those wonderful thoughtful, poignant struggles that we all encounter as humankind, and we can help each other find our own unique way forward...part of the beauty of the Internet.
      February 19, 2017 12:43 PM MST

I have some half brothers and a half sister I have not seen since our father's funeral 15 years ago. We are all married adults with families to support. 
      February 19, 2017 5:49 AM MST

I just recently discovered that the death of one's parent(s) do not always bring siblings together.  If anything, a lot of truths come out and you realize they were only there because of the parents.
      February 19, 2017 10:45 AM MST

Oh, how right you are on that one PeaPod!  
      February 19, 2017 12:02 PM MST

Sure knocked me for a loop.  
      February 19, 2017 6:54 PM MST

Baybreeze, I can tell from your post that your feelings are hurt by their seeming lack of interest.  I know it's not easy but, for now, you do need to let it go.  Not everyone handles life changes the same way.  You appear to have been a more thoughtful person at 18 than most.  They are actually pretty typical for teenagers.  They have quite a lot going on and their daily thoughts don't include a much older cousin who, at this point in their lives, they don't have a lot in common with.  It's really nothing personal.  Their attitude will change as they age and mature.  I can attest to the fact that the people who were very much a part of our lives growing up always hold a special place in our hearts.  Sometimes, it just takes the younger ones a while to realize they miss having that important person as part of their daily lives.  

Just do as VirginaL suggests.  Send cards & upbeat notes on special occasions. Eventually, they will contact you.  It might take a few years. Usually it happens when they start to settle down into their working lives.  Just be patient and please don't take it personally.
      February 19, 2017 6:10 AM MST

Thank you Harry- for such a caring reply. I think it is best I don't take it personally, thank you for that. I just always equate when I don't hear from someone, ever, they don't really care for me. :/ But, in this case, it might be true, they are teenagers and might not have the same view I had then. The weird thing is , I can relate to anything they've said to me, and I always joke with them and share some of their views when we've chatted/hung out... I just think their minds are geared to JUST people their age at this piont; they are very into  appearances too, and I am SO not that type. So that could be the glitch.. ty so much again for saying I can let it go, but maybe send a card here or there -  HuGGG
      February 19, 2017 9:02 AM MST

You actually hit the nail on the head.  At the moment, they are geared to JUST people their own age and to the superficial (appearances).  They aren't thinking about the impact they are having on anyone who isn't in their life on a daily basis.  It's a very selfish time in a young person's life.  There is a mixture of excitement and insecurity when a child moves into a dorm.  It's the first time they are on their own and they don't know anyone.  Since everyone is in the same boat, they gravitate toward each other for support.   They also have the pressure of classes, exams, & keeping up their GPA.  It doesn't enter their minds that family and friends back home are hurt if they don't find the time for them now.  It really is a maturity thing.  Keep your chin up kiddo.

February 19, 2017 9:20 AM MST

There are two "pillars" upon which self esteem is based:...1) you have value just because you exist and 2) you have value because you have something to offer others...

In your post to Virginia above, you say, "I was abused in a chaotic household weekly, for years, and felt, I guess I must be 'bad'..."....I suspect your were in fact raised in an environment that left you with some serious doubts about your personal worth and value....

Your Child's Self Esteem by Dorothy Corkhille Briggs contains the concept of self esteem "pillars."....The book Boundaries and the concept of "how to avoid emotional boundaries" may also be of interest to you....

And I agree, Virginia's advice is the best for dealing with the present and keeping future options open....

Regards...
      February 19, 2017 11:12 AM MST

• It's a time when you want to branch out and experience new things and create your own identity.  Once the novelty wears off they come back. Everyone goes through it. They aren't trying to be dismissive, they are just seizing their first chance at spreading their wings.
    It's the same for most of us at that age.  The family you grew up with has always been there and the excitement of independence is too great. It's a hard pill to swallow when you really care and love the younger ones but that's how it goes. You have always been there and as young adults we all take it for granted that the older generations are going to always be there.  Once they go through the process and have a few let downs and see all those glittery novelties lose their draw the real things that matter come back into focus.
      February 19, 2017 9:32 AM MST

The only thing Glis, is this has been going on for the years leading 'up' to going off to college too.. they do not seem at all interested in me as a person and never ask about me.. I'd think did I ever ask about my older friend/fam. member at that age? Yes I did lol.. I'd always ask my other cousin 6 yrs. older, how's work, what do you like on weekends etc.. ? I get zero... but it's fine, they are young, just now entereing college, but the question is do I go visit? Knowing they could care less honestly about me or what I do... they did not personally say either, oh you should come over. etc... and then I feel judged by their parents if I don't constantly engage in their lives. That's another strain, is their parents (my uncle/aunt) ... if I don't initiate seeing them they NEVER do w/me :( They never text me , email, anything.. then say , "oh why don't you visit?" Because I am the ONLY one doing it!!! For years. Anyway, I'm sorry.. ty so much for your advice and I am starting to take their actions less personally reading posts today.. Ty for your time  :)
      February 19, 2017 9:44 AM MST