Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » What do little kids hear at night?

What do little kids hear at night?

I couldn't sleep last night and was lying in bed listening to the sounds of distant traffic. Reminded me of my early childhood, back in the 1930s, when I used to think that passing trucks were bogeymen. Do you have any night memories from your early childhood? What about things that disturbed your own children?

Posted - February 19, 2017

Responses

• That too, Alien. And the tone of those voices must make an impact -- caring, laughing, arguing, shouting -- what a contrast! 
      February 19, 2017 10:08 PM MST

At one time, I shared a room with three sisters - it was never quiet! Sometimes, the youngest sister would have a bad dream, so one of us would start talking to her - nothing special - just different things to get her mind on something else. Or one of us would "start" a story and encourage the others to continue it with their ideas. You can imagine that mom or dad had to come and quiet us down after a while. When we got older, we were split up - two sisters to a room. The sister I shared with played music to help her sleep. In the summer, we would open the windows up and listen to the sounds coming from the garden my dad planted. I was never afraid of the dark. It was where I could feel safe after a bad day. I could hear the corn stalks rustling and imagine I was with my grandparents.
      February 20, 2017 3:24 PM MST

• That's really nice, Danae. You must have had a great relationship with your sisters. Good memories.
      February 20, 2017 8:18 PM MST

• I feel safer in the dark too.  Good post!!!
      March 21, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

• Good question, Mr D.
    I heard the TV.
    The TV was never off.

March 21, 2017 3:49 PM MDT