Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » What is your opinion on the simulation hypothesis?

What is your opinion on the simulation hypothesis?

For those unfamiliar, the hypothesis says that our reality is simply an extremely intricate computer simulation created by our descendants of the future—or what we theoretically become in the future—who want to simulate the history of evolution (or the universe). Many scientists believe that there is a one in a billion chance that this theory is NOT the case. Evidence rests on the fact that the universe conforms to laws of mathematics (which, to me, doesn't really count as evidence), just like it does in the less advanced types of simulations we have now, and that the level of intricacy of matter that we know of isn't infinite; intricacy only goes down to the subatomic particle level and we cannot see beyond a certain point with microscopes, and us being part of a finite, pixelated simulation would account for that. The hypothesis suggests that our technology with bio-engineering and computer programming, which ties into artificial intelligence, will inevitably merge and allow humans to simulate life essentially as a hologram down the subatomic particle. This also means that we'd likely be a simulation in a simulation in a simulation and so on. Read more here: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-we-living-in-a-computer-simulation/ What are your personal thoughts on this? 

Posted - February 20, 2017

Responses

For those unfamiliar, the hypothesis says that "our reality is simply an extremely intricate computer simulation created by our descendants of the future—" So many flaws in this theory its hard to know where to begin so lets start with its first sentence. If our reality is a simulation it is a simulation happening now and not one in the future created by our descendants. We would be simulations of their ancestors but with no descendants and allfor the purpose of entertainment. Not negating the existence of God or reality itself outside the simulation. Interesting to think about but serves no purpose other than to again question conventional thinking about what we perceive as the universe. This post was edited by O-uknow at February 20, 2017 8:35 PM MST
      February 20, 2017 2:00 PM MST

Standard Alien,
    what I can say is that
    One cannot find the ultimate truth 
    by looking through a microscope as you have said,
    and one cannot find the truth through thought.
    The Truth can only be realized through the Self within,
    very simple, no complicated thoughts will explain 
    the nature of the universe. We try to picture the ultimate 
    Truth by thinking about it...We don't even come close through thought.
         To understand what is and what isn't
    we must be in a place where there is no thought and no Ego to 
    keep us within the surface of consciousness.
    Then we can see the Reality of existence.
         As long as we stay within thought, we are endlessly
    going in circles no matter how refined our thinking is.
    hahaha...and cannot ever capture the essence
    or the understanding of Truth.
    ...anyway, more thoughts for you. haha
    Cheers
    ...so life is like a video game in which every possibility
    has been programed into it. Enjoy it. Create
    an amazing scenario and realize it is
    deeper than what we could ever think.

IMHO that's what I think LOLOL

This post was edited by Baba at February 20, 2017 8:57 PM MST
      February 20, 2017 2:02 PM MST

My last reply on this is if The Watchers had their way a real life simulation is all we would ever be and all for their glory and entertainment. God decided differently. Methink the theory inspired by that element of truth. This post was edited by O-uknow at February 20, 2017 2:07 PM MST
      February 20, 2017 2:06 PM MST

You can not prove any such thing from within the system. That was proved by a mathematician in 1932 and it is explained in a fascinating book, "Godel, Escher, Bach".
      February 20, 2017 2:09 PM MST

Why explain? It is self evident. The tools used would be part of the simulation.
      February 20, 2017 2:29 PM MST

• Oh ..... I was really excited  when got email That you here ... Now I remember that you are  way smarter than me and I don't understand any of your questions... Wanna talk about shoes and boys???? ;p 
      February 20, 2017 8:12 PM MST

• Lol :) I knew I was gonna like you :p 
      February 20, 2017 8:19 PM MST

HAHA! Let me just watch you two go at it.
      February 20, 2017 8:23 PM MST

• MERYL!!! You know I'm a scintifical mathy genius! I'm just pretending not to be as smart as you ... Cos I said so :p 
      February 20, 2017 8:29 PM MST

Well duh!! I already knew that. :p I'm waiting for the shoes and boys part now though. Seriously. Shoes and boys affect the future of humanity way more than scientifical mathy genius stuff. Where would science even be without shoes and boys?!?! Infinite steps behind.
      February 20, 2017 8:39 PM MST

• Meryl :( just say shoes are pretty and boy parts are gooooood. That's the scientific answer :p 
      February 20, 2017 8:49 PM MST

LOL. I see what you did there. They're both pretty good. (: Did you see my other post on the first post we were talking on? I think it got lost in your storm of notifications because you're popular. Go find it!!
      February 20, 2017 8:55 PM MST

• Lol I'll find it :) but no, I'm not popular here like site we met ... I'm keeping low profile here so no stalkers  AHEM! :p lol you allowed stalk me though :p 
      February 20, 2017 9:01 PM MST

• I found your post but guessing you won't get notification in that group cos I don't :) so very cool you and Carlos still talk :) Id  love him come here! But he can't yell at me for lose touch ... We had outside contact info and I just stopped responding to friends old site cos life ... Except for one "angel" ;p 
      February 20, 2017 9:20 PM MST

OK, I will be your designated stalker so the other ones will back off. :p
      February 22, 2017 3:18 PM MST

• Lol , good deal , thanks :) I think I'm safe here though ...., no pshyco bea-aches like on ask:p
      February 23, 2017 6:39 PM MST

If I can't even wrap my head around Green Eggs & Ham, how am I suppose to wrap my head around this?
      February 20, 2017 8:17 PM MST