Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Have you ever tried "alternative" therapies?

Have you ever tried "alternative" therapies?

Which one? What was your experience? Would you recommend it to your friends? 

Posted - March 1, 2017

Responses

• Dear Didge,
    Oh yes I have! And my experience was, my life got saved...

It was in the years before MCS multiple chemical sensitivities was officially recognized, and people in my profession were dying from over-exposure to laboratory chemicals...we were told by M.D.'s that we were all hypochondriacs.

I found a homeopathic physician, and then I followed that up with dietary support and finally traditional Chinese medicine.

As far as recommending it to friends, what I do is explain what I learned about a philosophy of healing, and then each person can take it from there...it seems we really do need to find our own way.
      March 1, 2017 5:05 PM MST

• Excellent example, Virginia, and thanks for sharing. Until very recently anybody suffering from Chronic Fatigue was thought to be hypochondria, too. Most doctors are now aware that it isn't. 
      March 1, 2017 5:12 PM MST

Chinese herbs
    and Acupuncture 
    are these alternative?
    I heartily recommend
    if alternative or not.
      March 1, 2017 5:06 PM MST

• I guess they're alternative but are so effective that the only thing keeping them from becoming mainstream is the prejudice of the medical associations and the pharmaceutical industry.
      March 1, 2017 5:10 PM MST

• Too busy trying to sort out alternative facts to worry about alternative therapies im afraid
      March 1, 2017 5:09 PM MST

• There's no shortage of those, Ozgirl. 
      March 1, 2017 5:11 PM MST

• Neck deep to be exact :)
      March 1, 2017 5:15 PM MST

• I'm a staunch supporter of alternate therapies....yeah I know, haha imma nurse and all...personally, I've seen a chiropractor on several occasions, not only for my back, but also for Achilles tendonitis. I've had massage therapy for my migraines, which does help if one is present, light therapy for S.A.D. thought about acupuncture for my migraines also. I've been told that marijuana will help with migraines, which actually has less side effects than the medication I currently take for them. Unfortunately, it is not legal in my state, but I'm hoping to be in a state that does very soon.
      March 1, 2017 5:22 PM MST

• I never heard of SAD until last year when I discussed it with Rathkeale. Nasty business. Fortunately in my part of the world it's never a problem. As for medical marijuana, even backward Ausrralia is in the process of legalising it. The first steps have already been taken. If we can do it, it's only a matter of time before it reaches your state which is, I think NY? 
      March 1, 2017 6:25 PM MST

• First one would have to define, "alternative".  I had a shiatsu session that gave me vivid, hallucinatory quality dreams.
      March 1, 2017 7:34 PM MST

• I hope they were pleasant dreams and not nightmares.
      March 1, 2017 8:02 PM MST

• Many years ago. I only recall they were exceptionally vivid and yes, pleasant.
      March 1, 2017 8:36 PM MST

Hi Didge, a cousin of mine has a son who gets 'fits' or  seizure occasionally. She learnt Reiki....one day she came to my place, I didn't take it seriously and was in fact mocking her, she suddenly took my hands in hers and told me be calm feel my energy reach into you, I was still smiling but I gave my hands, she joined her palms with mine, very soon I felt heat and my body felt as if it was in flames, I shudder even now when I reminiscence about it. She told me she can channelise her energy and activate healing process through reiki, that boy now is normal;))

https://iarp.org/what-is-reiki/
      March 1, 2017 7:46 PM MST

• That's an unusual reaction, Veena. The warmth is expected (tough not everybody feels it) but the flames? Very strange. And, yes, I know what Reiki is. I actually wrote a book about it 20 years ago. 
      March 1, 2017 8:04 PM MST

Oh Didge, when she held my hands, her hands were already hot and I dunno what happened but I could feel the heat radiated so rapidly and I didn't even pull away because I was too wonderstruck! Oh, you wrote a book on it Didge?
      March 1, 2017 10:34 PM MST

• Mrs D was teaching Reiki. I wrote it as a give-away for her students then took it around the bookshops. It sold pretty well. 
      March 1, 2017 11:05 PM MST

Awesome, it does work i think Didge. My cousin's son is fine now, she took reiki lessons. 
      March 1, 2017 11:10 PM MST

• It can be very effective indeed and I've had plenty of personal experience. But it certainluy has its limits.
      March 1, 2017 11:12 PM MST

• How alternative are we talking about?

March 1, 2017 8:56 PM MST

• I hope all those poor girls got out OK. 
      March 1, 2017 9:04 PM MST

Just sitting quietly among trees for 1/2 hour or longer can give relief from stress 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/forest_bathing

(
    Japanese forest bathing )
      March 1, 2017 9:07 PM MST

• Interesting idea. I've never heard it called that but I can certainly attest to the benefit of relaxing in the forest. Or on the foreshore, watching the ocean. Or, for that matter, watching the stars coming to life in the gloaming.
      March 1, 2017 11:07 PM MST