Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How do people usually underestimate you? Do they eventually learn not to?

How do people usually underestimate you? Do they eventually learn not to?

What is something people usually or have in the past underestimated you on.
Did they eventually learn not to?
When was the last time you were underestimated?

Or is it the other way around for you?
Do people usually think that you are.capable of.more than you really are?

Posted - March 8, 2017

Responses

Thank you my dear.
      March 9, 2017 9:37 AM MST

• I thought your comment was a lovely classic, big smile for you, for your sense of humour, and kudos to your wife too!
      March 10, 2017 9:55 AM MST

• That's good!
    It took me a minute to get it. )))
    Thanks element.
      March 8, 2017 3:09 PM MST

You are most welcome.
      March 9, 2017 9:41 AM MST

• There are a few different ways. A girl who's 5"2, has a prosthetic limb, and wears glasses isn't exactly the poster child for capability. That's ok because it makes it even better when I prove the opposite! BAM! :)
      March 8, 2017 10:52 AM MST

• That's great!
    You know, I work in an all male environment. For a while we had this one little Mexican woman, driving the big forklift. I was completely opposed to her hiring, but I tell you what, she sure proved me wrong!
    I wonder what makes someone like you overcome obstacles like yours as opposed to someone else hiding at home. You know what I mean?
    Thanks for the great answer!!!
      March 8, 2017 3:16 PM MST

• People sometimes think I'm a doormat, but attempt to trample me and you will be sorry. ;)

Others assume I must be physically weak, but I have quite the power of endurance. Just because I don't bench-press doesn't mean I'm weak.
      March 8, 2017 10:54 AM MST

• That is certainly a recurrent theme ain't it?
    Those who take a laid back attitude for being weak.
    About the bench pressing, . .yeah. . That's silly....
      March 8, 2017 3:21 PM MST

People are from all walks of life. Everybody has a different temperament. And that means different reactions from different people to one situation. Let me tell you about it;

Situation #1 : Say you're a man. And let's say you're pursuing the opposite sex for a promiscuous encounter, and let's say you're very forward and direct in your approach to the random women. A lot will refuse flat out for various reasons (married, boyfriends etc). Some will get scared and run away. Some will call the cops.  Some will get angry at you and tell you get lost. And there will be some, albeit very few, who will be up for it. You get lucky. It gets real.

Situation #2 : Say you're a man. And let's say you're pursuing another man for a physical fight. A lot will decline it for various reasons, but mostly its because they're scared. Some will call the cops. Others will only accept because they're drunk. And others will only accept as a last resort. And then there will be some who will want it. And some of those, albeit a very few, will be good at it. You get unlucky. It gets real. 

The point I'm making is the same one for both situations. With some people, it gets real. And by getting real, you can turn the tables and make them regret it immediately by getting real. It means they misjudged and underestimated you. One of the biggest reasons this happens is because people judge others by the way they look. 

He looks like a nice guy, doesn't he? 

He looks like he'd be easy to push around, right? 

Wrong!

He's one of the most destructive middleweights of all-time. 

March 8, 2017 11:33 AM MST

• Let me just back up a little here... if I may...
    You say that most men refusing another man's advances refuse because they are scared?
    And even though you do give other reasons for a man to so refuse, you don't give room for a man to just not being into that. 
    I have been approached in more than one occasion by men with less than saintly intentions, let's say, and that's what I said,  "nah, man, im good, that's not my thing,"
    I was certainly not scared. No?
      March 8, 2017 3:29 PM MST

Well your situation would come under the various reasons umbrella. But most people are intimidated by an aggressor, especially if its unexpected. 
      March 8, 2017 4:33 PM MST

• I understand, I also get the fighters example. And you're right. I would totally underestimate that little guy if I saw him around. Which, mind you, I have done before . . . I think that there, in a situation like that is where the results of an u.underestimating loud mouth can be seen the fastest.  You know?

March 8, 2017 5:03 PM MST

• Yes I get underestimated, and I get overestimated...often relating to "niceness," and mental abilities.

No they rarely learn not to underestimate, because I have come to consider it their problem not mine, and simply disengage/disentangle. Although sometimes people come back years/decades later, with a different view.

If they overestimate, I may take more time with that - showing them a more realistic assessment and exploring the possibility of closer friendship.
      March 8, 2017 11:58 AM MST

• I know Ms Virginia,
    And that's alright, but does it not make you want to show them wrong?
    Isn't letting them underestimate you, and you just walking away, proving the other underestimators right? You know, the ones that say that being nice is being weak?
      March 8, 2017 3:33 PM MST

• Ha ha, Hi Lago...well if they feel validated/affirmed by me walking away, good for them...no, I don't want to spend my time and efforts there, got a life to live, here...

I read (researching for an aMug Q) that we each have about three billion heartbeats (or something like that) and I will spend mine on enjoyable people and meaningful to me.
      March 8, 2017 4:07 PM MST

• Hm, yeah...
    It would be hard for me to.argue that without sounding like a jerk. 
    It's too nice.
    )
    Thanks Ms V.
      March 8, 2017 4:11 PM MST

• I tell you what tho, Ms V, you're the only one that's mentioned being overestimated. 
    In my case I have been overestimated more than once. When for example they have asked me, "you can do this or that, right?". . "Sure I can"
    Then I find myself jumping thru hoops trying to actually be able.to do what they thought I could.
      March 8, 2017 4:08 PM MST

• Yes...getting overestimated can be an interesting experience, can help us grow, even nurture us...someone seeing the beauty, believing in you...
      March 8, 2017 4:20 PM MST

• Or just trying to suck the life out of you.  No?  )
      March 8, 2017 4:28 PM MST

• Oh YES!
    ...that can happen...not good, highly manipulative.
      March 8, 2017 4:31 PM MST

I am occasionally challenged by those who do not know me.  The next time I talk, you can usually hear a pin drop if they sense that  I am then being serious.
      March 8, 2017 1:20 PM MST

• That's actually very interesting.
    I wonder if every time I challenge someone, im underestimating his understanding. 
    Now that you say that, and I think about it, maybe I do feel like im being underestimated when I get challenged, you know?, and I feel the need to prove them wrong. Maybe it's a.matter of respect, you know? 
    As if being u.underestimated is actually being disrespected. That's a very good point Tom. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 10, 2017 9:59 AM MST
      March 8, 2017 3:39 PM MST

It happens, and it will be out of different reasons. In some occasions they will realise it, and act accordingly. In others they will ignore, and then there are those that won't even realise it because they are too busy around themselves. It all doesn't matter, I adjust and act depending on what I face and life will continue.
      March 8, 2017 1:37 PM MST

• Very nice
      March 8, 2017 1:40 PM MST

Thank you. :-)
      March 8, 2017 1:45 PM MST