Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » On the net have you ever explored outside your tribe into another and been chased out along with your differing points of view and perspecti

On the net have you ever explored outside your tribe into another and been chased out along with your differing points of view and perspecti

ve?

Posted - March 11, 2017

Responses

Of course. I've even been outcast by people I thought were friends due to their perceiving any and all deviation of opinion as a threat to their very existence. lol
      March 11, 2017 4:09 PM MST

As I suspected.
      March 11, 2017 4:19 PM MST

• Yes.   BoingBoing I found to be a very hostile, closed minded,  and "Kewl people only" site culture.    I really did not enjoy the way people acted there and honestly most of the talk and tone  I found in my short time was not my personal cup of tea by any measure. 

I was basically told by several that as a new user I am really only allowed to discuss on certain types of topics and threads as to not upset the sensibilities of the other users.   Basically it was a bunch of self-righteous, Buzzfeedy,  urban hipsters outside of a few of my previous friends that seemed to gel with it better than I did.

Same thing has happened on a few tech and science discussion sites that is primarily inhabited by transhumanists and Hedonistic Imperative abolitionists.
      March 11, 2017 4:12 PM MST

As I suspected.
      March 11, 2017 4:18 PM MST

I used to go to boingboing back when it was billed as "A directory of wonderful things". Their icon was "Jackhammer Jill." After a year or so the tone of posts had degenerated a bit and they posted a snarl to the effect that the staff members did not appreciate emails saying "This is not a wonderful thing." After a few more months I gave up and stopped going there. I went back recently and Jackhammer Jill does not live there any more.

Reddit is the internet equivalent of Fidonet, if you have heard of that. There is a tremendous amount of content in a tremendous number of subforums with every possible personality doing his thing. The big thing there is "karma" which is calculated from your upvotes and downvotes. if you get a lot of downvotes, you can't post for a while. Well, if you go to the Christianity subform and post bible verses, you will get a flood of downvotes. It was so bad that some of them abandoned it and started a new subforum for Christians, but only those who professed to believe the trinity.

I eventually just gave up trying to get along with reddit. And those are only the nice experiences I have had!
      March 11, 2017 4:26 PM MST

• Xeni was a real piece of work on that site in my experience.  Funny thing about them is they start so many threads about censorship and free speech but say something the admins don't agree with or like and you get deleted or worse they just rewrite your posts.
      March 11, 2017 4:46 PM MST

That's something I'll never allow to happen to me. The thing is that I don't take what happens on the internet seriously. If you want to waste your time belittling me, go right ahead. That will give me the chance to ignore you and therefore not give you a voice.
      March 11, 2017 4:30 PM MST