Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Language » Do you know any interesting Irish slang or expressions?

Do you know any interesting Irish slang or expressions?

In an Australian TV interview, an Irish actor said that in making a commando movie he had to jump off a cliff, Tarzan style, hanging onto a rope. As he jumped, he screamed something out. The director asked what it was and he said it was an Irish battle cry, so it was left in. When the movie was released in Dublin it brought the houses down, for what he had yelled was, "Pog maho-o-o-o-o-ne!" -- which translates into American English as "kiss my ass".

Posted - March 17, 2017

Responses

• Bloody yoke's banjaxed again.

Silly muppet,  just shift the lass.
      March 17, 2017 4:22 PM MDT

• Maybe I should have asked for translations as well. :)
      March 17, 2017 4:31 PM MDT

• Yoke can be anything and banjaxed is kinda like FUBAR.

Muppet is a dummy and shift is a passionate kiss.
      March 17, 2017 4:43 PM MDT

• It was "shift" that beat me. And I was too slow to realise that "yoke" wasn't a slang term. Banjaxed, like FUBAR, is pretty cool. Perhaps not quite as damning as SAPFU but it sounds better.
      March 17, 2017 4:48 PM MDT

• Is SAPFU the Aussie SNAFU?
      March 17, 2017 4:50 PM MDT

• Surpassing All Previous Foul Ups. 
      March 17, 2017 4:52 PM MDT

• and Killroy is Foo right?
      March 17, 2017 5:02 PM MDT

• Not last time I looked but it's raining and I haven't been outside for a while. He might be foo now. 
      March 17, 2017 5:05 PM MDT

Give Ireland back to the Irish.  I think that is their main saying.

"Give Ireland Back to the Irish" is a song written by Paul and Linda McCartney in response to the events of Bloody Sunday in Northern Ireland on 30 January 1972.[1] Recorded on 1 February 1972 at Abbey Road, in London,[1] it was released as Wings' debut single on 25 February 1972 in the UK, and a few days later in the US.[2] It was the first recorded song by the band to include Irish guitarist Henry McCullough. A rehearsal of the band playing the song was filmed
    Recording

The track was recorded at Abbey Road Studios, with engineer Tony Clark. Wings then moved to Apple Studios, where the song was mixed and possibly completed.[3]
    Ban

It was completely banned from media exposure in the United Kingdom, being banned by the BBC, Radio Luxembourg and the Independent Television Authority. On the BBC Radio 1 chart show Pick of the Pops, Alan Freeman had to refer to it as "a record by the group Wings".[4]

"From our point of view," said Paul McCartney, "it was the first time people questioned what we were doing in Ireland. It was so shocking. I wrote 'Give Ireland Back to the Irish', we recorded it and I was promptly 'phoned by the Chairman of EMI, Sir Joseph Lockwood, explaining that they wouldn't release it. He thought it was too inflammatory. I told him that I felt strongly about it and they had to release it. He said, 'Well it'll be banned', and of course it was. I knew 'Give Ireland Back to the Irish' wasn't an easy route, but it just seemed to me to be the time. All of us in Wings felt the same about it. But Henry McCullough's brother who lived in Northern Ireland was beaten up because of it. The thugs found out that Henry was in Wings."[5]
    Release

The song reached number 1 in the singles charts not only in the Republic of Ireland but also in Spain, and despite the air-play ban still climbed to number 16 in the UK Singles Chart,[6] and number 21 in the US Billboard Hot 100.[7]

The B-side of the single, "Give Ireland Back to the Irish (version)", is an instrumental version of the song. The A-side was reissued as a bonus track on the 1993 remastered CD of Wings' Wild Life album. It is believed to be Apple's only single to feature a vocal version on one side and an instrumental version on the other.[citation needed]

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 17, 2017 5:07 PM MDT
      March 17, 2017 4:52 PM MDT

• On the surface, giving Ireland back seems the best thing to do. After all, it's only Northern Ireland that is ruled by England. The problem may be that the majority of Northern Irish would vote to stay a part of the UK. If a referendum were to be held of the whole of Ireland the result would scarcely be in doubt.

Then, when we get that settled, we might set about making Australia a republic instead of a semi "self-governing dominion". 

March 17, 2017 5:09 PM MDT

Thank you, Didge, I don't know that much about politics in Europe, so I am listening.  I didn't know that Northern Ireland was even vested in being part of England.   I don't know what is worse.   I don't even think THEY do.

All I know about it, is it goes back years and there is so much revenge and desire to get even, that no peace can ever be made with that history being stirred up over and over.

It's like Jerusalem and that area, India and Pakistan and so on and so on.

This can't end with this behavior.   It will never end if they do not get ENLIGHTENED to the principle that we are all one and what you do to your brother in England or in Ireland, you are doing to yourself as well.

Let it go Ireland and UK,  and let's move forward. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 17, 2017 6:24 PM MDT
      March 17, 2017 6:01 PM MDT

• That sounds great but it ain't likely to happen in my lifetime. I don't have enough years left. 
      March 17, 2017 6:24 PM MDT

Pogue Mahone is the seventh and last studio album by The Pogues, released in 1996. The title is a variant of the Irish phrase póg mo thóin, meaning "kiss my arse", from which the band's name is derived.---

and---

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pogue%20mahone
      March 17, 2017 4:55 PM MDT

• Perhaps the best known of all Gaelic terms, Tom ... and very often a worthy sentiment. :)
      March 17, 2017 6:26 PM MDT

Never heard it before---and supposedly my maternal great grandfather came from Ireland.
      March 17, 2017 7:31 PM MDT

• Bonnie gloaming.
      March 17, 2017 8:16 PM MDT

• Och, laddie, are ye sure ye have the right country? 
      March 17, 2017 8:43 PM MDT

• Cousin cultures, no?
      March 17, 2017 9:33 PM MDT

• Oh, yeah. 
      March 17, 2017 9:45 PM MDT

• Q'pla!
      March 17, 2017 9:46 PM MDT

• Here Mr. Didgi just for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-v-tzBAdhw
      March 17, 2017 10:21 PM MDT

• That's great, Whistle. I could listen to them all night. That's another name added to my download list.
      March 18, 2017 12:36 AM MDT

Top of the morning to ya......:)
      March 18, 2017 2:43 AM MDT

• Ah, begorrah an' all. But it's a foin thing that ye dropped by for the breakfast. Is it the full Irish ye'll be havin'?
      March 18, 2017 2:17 PM MDT