Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Outside the Mug, Question 2:

Outside the Mug, Question 2:

If Schroedinger's cat was outside the mug but its female love interest was inside the mug, would it have to find a way to enter the mug or would she have to find a way to escape.
\
Would such a mug have an event horizon that would prevent either cat from reaching the other.

How would they overcome the barrier? Would love conquer all?

Posted - March 18, 2017

Responses

It would put a vial of poison gas and a lump of radioactive material in the Mug with its love interest and seal the Mug. From that moment on, said love interest would neither be alive nor dead but exist as a fog of probabilities until somebody resolved the probabilities by unsealing the Mug and observing it.
      March 18, 2017 9:33 PM MDT

• You have an excellent knowledge of Schrodinger's theory but, alas, you are sadly lacking in the your knowledge of feline romance novels.
      March 18, 2017 9:36 PM MDT

• that story is an obvious fabrication. What cat would go to sea?  Sure there is tuna but there is water, which cats hate.
      March 18, 2017 9:45 PM MDT

• Love is powerful. But THAT powerful? Also for what ever reasons the cat race holds the bird race as the enemy.  Would an owl board a boat with a cat?  There is considerable individual and social risk. But were the love true one can see where they might have to go to sea or to another land to live out there socially unacceptable relationship.  But ah!  Maybe the cat was hoping for a free easy meal?  Specious literary analysis is fun! 

Anyway for a really excellent cat novel I recommend "Tailchaser's Song" a favorite novel.  And "I Could Pee On This", poems by cats.
      March 18, 2017 10:03 PM MDT

• They were both worth re-reading.  Not all novels are like that.  Another recommendation is "The Zen of Farting".

And trying to figure out other's relationships?  Zounds! It is hard enough to figure out one's own.
      March 18, 2017 10:18 PM MDT

• Some cats are more adventurous than others. 

Danny Kaye told the story of three little French kittens named Un, Deux, and Trois. They were walking by the beach and found an old trash can lid. They pushed it into the water, climbed aboarsd, and went sailing. Alas! there was a hole and it filled with water. And Un, Deux, Troix, Quatre, Cinq. 
      March 18, 2017 10:04 PM MDT

• Hahahahaha!  Mon dieu! A merry jest!
      March 18, 2017 10:14 PM MDT

• I've  never  understood the idea of the cat's indeterminate state.  The cat is either alive or dead.  The state of the cat is not determined by the knowledge of an observer.
      March 18, 2017 9:47 PM MDT

• But can it find its way into and out of the mug? That is the important question.
      March 18, 2017 10:05 PM MDT

• In if there is milk.
      March 18, 2017 10:14 PM MDT

The cat would say to hell with it and chase Heisenberg's chicken as it doesn't cross the road.
      March 19, 2017 10:24 AM MDT

• You just created a very strange picture in my imagination. I think I must be a very strange person. :( 
      March 19, 2017 11:49 AM MDT

If I were either cat, I would suggest just meeting in the next life.
      March 19, 2017 11:28 AM MDT

• A very spiritual solution, Tom. 
      March 19, 2017 11:51 AM MDT

Just one step beyond meeting at the Eiffel tower in 6 months.
      March 19, 2017 12:01 PM MDT