Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do you speak a second language?

Do you speak a second language?

How did you learn? How long did it take? How fluent are you? 

Posted - March 26, 2017

Responses

• That is quite interesting, CP...in my teens, I actually learned just enough Russian to be able to read a few of the classic short stories by such authors as Chekhov and Tolstoy...just wanted the direct flavour of such genius...which is prolly never fully translatable!
      March 26, 2017 10:45 AM MDT

• I enjoy listening to Russian, or to English spoken with a Russian accent. It resonates so easily with the ear.
      March 26, 2017 11:36 AM MDT

Da. ;)
      March 26, 2017 11:38 AM MDT

yes, i can speak spanish pretty fluently from being born in south america which makes me wonder why its so hard to get a job
      March 26, 2017 4:00 PM MDT

Pearl why don't you try jobs online? Surely you can apply if you feel you meet the job requirement. You can work from home too, right?
      March 26, 2017 6:56 PM MDT

• Do you live in a location where there's a strong Latin community? 
      March 27, 2017 12:34 AM MDT

Hi Didge, as I wrote in my blog - nonnative speaker of English, I know besides my mother tongue, four Indian languages, I am not counting English since English is a foreign language ;))
    I am fluent in all and I dunno how long it took, it came naturally almost effortlessly Didge. Everyone in India know Hindi, as it is an official language although southern Indians struggle a bit with Hindi. English is also an official language....so basically an average Indian knows two official languages besides their mother tongue;))
      March 26, 2017 6:54 PM MDT

• I'm envious. I'm a klutz at languages and it's something I'd have liked to do. Still, it's hard when there's little local opportunity to use them ... unless, of course, I was to visit ethnic clubs and communities.
      March 27, 2017 12:36 AM MDT