Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » How strong are your emotions?

How strong are your emotions?

Somebody quipped that for the thinking person life is a comedy; for the person who feels, it's a tragedy.

How strong are your emotions? Do they lift you or drag you down? 

Posted - March 26, 2017

Responses

Yes, all empaths are sensitives, not all sensitive people are empaths, though.

Crowds are...difficult.  

Most people try to downplay what they are feeling.  Not just to others, but even to themselves.  We all, with a very few exceptions, actually feel things very strongly.  Many learn very early on to minimize those feelings.  That doesn't eliminate them, it means that they have learned to hide from them, basically.  

Empaths literally feel what others are feeling...even when those people have learned to hide from their own feelings.  
    So when I am somewhere there are a lot of people, I may feel a multitude of (often conflicting) emotions from others.  Even those who do not acknowledge those feelings themselves.  That is, indeed, overwhelming.  

But that can be true if I am with one person who feels something deeply themselves, or a couple who are fighting, say...I will literally feel both sides of their argument and hurts.  As a kid, I would agonize over my parents' arguments.  My brothers would roll over and go to sleep, my folks would each have their bitch and then they'd go to sleep.  I would not sleep.  I couldn't set aside the genuine pain/anger/whatever I felt from each, and I could usually see things from both sides, too...something most cannot when they are arguing.  Even when I couldn't see it from both sides, I could feel it.

In a crowd, there are random feelings picked up from strangers and there is no background as to the whys of those feelings, just the raw emotion.  Multiply that by however many are there...
      March 27, 2017 5:49 AM MDT

• Excellent explanation! I wonder how much of that happens on an auric level? Well, probably all of it, I guess. Anton Mesmer (the man whose experiments led to James Braid's development of hypnotism) used what he called "animal magnetism" to heal. I've experienced it to some extent myself. Your original answer brought it very much to mind. Thanks for sharing. 
      March 27, 2017 1:22 PM MDT

Thank you, Didge.

I think of auras as the colors some say they can see surrounding people.  All I know is what I feel, or things I see or know before they happen.  

I had to look him up...interesting...he is where we get the word mesmerise from.We do have an electrical system in our bodies, so magnetism would come into play.  How it all works, I don't know.  I kill watches, affect electrical and electronic devices and have even affected street lights.  But, as I said, I don't know how it all works.
      March 28, 2017 1:52 AM MDT

• Now if you could only get traffic lights to turn green on demand...
      March 28, 2017 4:18 AM MDT

Yawn---what did you ask?
      March 26, 2017 2:24 PM MDT

•   March 27, 2017 12:40 AM MDT

As strong as it can get, but I tend to internalize it all until it manifests itself into a mental illness.
      March 26, 2017 2:26 PM MDT

• That can happen. I tend to let it out. The emotion, that is. 
      March 27, 2017 12:40 AM MDT

depends on whats going on at the time
      March 26, 2017 3:53 PM MDT

umm what can I say;))
      March 26, 2017 10:52 PM MDT

• Clever!  :)
      March 27, 2017 12:41 AM MDT

I go postal ever so often to keep my posy in line.
      March 27, 2017 12:42 AM MDT

• Why are thinking and feeling exclusive, Didge?
      March 27, 2017 12:45 AM MDT

• I didn't mean to suggest that one excluded the other. Certainly one can inhibit the other. 
      March 27, 2017 1:23 PM MDT

• Here's something interesting.

There's been quite a bit of research of late that contradicts the 'classical' view - that emotions are like brute responses and that without rationality humans are merely emotional, reactive, uncontrollable entities: one of the great narratives of western civilisation, you know how it goes.

But the research has not shown any consistent or physical fingerprint for any emotion. Nor is there uniformity in how people react to emotional triggers like anger or fear, and that they are not universal but differ from culture to culture. They are not triggered; you create them. They emerge as a combination of the physical properties of your body, a flexible brain that wires itself to whatever environment it develops in, and your culture and upbringing.

I read this the other day.
      March 29, 2017 3:55 AM MDT

• I've become more positively emotional in recent years & for good reasons, so yes they lift me. But I believe our emotions are fed by our state of mind, surroundings & experiences, of course there all linked. Thanks to a previous life, I learnt that I can completely turn my emotions off in order to survive. In saying that I paid the price for it & it eventually did come back to bite me.      
      March 29, 2017 4:20 AM MDT

• Previous life? You can't stop there :) 

What happened.
      March 29, 2017 4:53 AM MDT