Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Gender is assigned by note of external genitalia but shouldn't allowances be made for error when internal organs and chromosomal

Gender is assigned by note of external genitalia but shouldn't allowances be made for error when internal organs and chromosomal

data have not been considered?

Posted - March 27, 2017

Responses

Quite so.

But mainly I would like to ask: Why does it matter?
      March 27, 2017 10:00 PM MDT

Part of public record. It is assigned at birth and does matter.
      March 27, 2017 10:03 PM MDT

Your premise seems a bit flawed: that's not the "assignment" of gender, more accurately, it's one of the most prominent indicators of gender.
    __
      March 27, 2017 10:06 PM MDT

Shut up. You are flawed. Take your petty jealousy of me elsewhere.
      March 28, 2017 12:31 AM MDT

Why would I be jealous of someone who doesn't even know what he's talking about, someone who posts incorrect information such as you've done here? Oh yes, I want to BE you! (Insert eye-roll here.)

:|
      March 28, 2017 6:34 AM MDT

Actually in many cases gender really is assigned, quite a few babies are born with hemafrodite and other 'inbetween' characteristics. The traditional response from hospitals have been to ask the doctor what sex the baby mostly is and then do cosmetic surgery to correct the 'flaws', so the parents can be proud of the baby they get.

There is increasing pressure that this should cease. partly because it is usually impossible to tell that early in the childs life where sexual characteristics are not very pronounced anyway.

ref: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003269.htm This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at March 29, 2017 12:36 PM MDT
      March 29, 2017 12:33 PM MDT

You're absolutely correct, but that's not what is stated in the original question posted by O-uknow. I did not say that gender is not assigned, I'm saying that's not how it's assigned. 
    ~
      March 29, 2017 6:24 PM MDT

• I'm going to be pedantic and suggest all above may be wrong  to some degree... I do believe external appearances are a good... But fallible guide... Just because a person smiles doesn't mean they're happy... It's what you intrinsically feel on the inside that determines gender... And to set the record straight I'm  only repeating what others, born into this situation, tell me... I'll gladly back down to their more personal point of view
      March 27, 2017 10:23 PM MDT

After joining Answer mug..I've seen so many peculiarities here that I wonder if gender is determined just by the biological differences....it really amazes me how I see what I see here!
      March 27, 2017 11:36 PM MDT

Veena, do not confuse gender with sexual orientation. Two completely different things that only relate to one another.
      March 28, 2017 12:33 AM MDT

Well, if you are born a male or a female doesn't your organ influence your traits your personality. Every form we fill asks about gender not sexual orientation, isn't that so O-uknow?
      March 31, 2017 8:18 PM MDT

Sexual orientation may not solely depend on gender as we know. Gender is assigned to us by the criteria of the times. Your sex may be different from your gender AND orientation. Sex is what you are biologically, gender is assigned and orientation is what you feel and/or attracted to. This post was edited by O-uknow at April 1, 2017 12:35 AM MDT
      March 31, 2017 8:39 PM MDT

• Hey Veena, O is right in a general sense & that's about as close as we'll ever get as were all so different.
    Me for example, I was raised with no parental preconditioning re this matter & as strange as it may seem, when I was a kid (five onwards) I didn't see myself as being male, even though I have a penis & as time progressed I felt very comfortable having sex with either genders.

I recall my friends telling me I was male but I chose to dismiss their comments. Although I did prefer to hang out with girls & the funny thing is that I was a very pretty boy, rather tall with with a small waist & largeish hips. I don't mean to brag, but I had a very nice figure hahaha, but then again.

On a more serious note, all through my growing up years I still considered myself female, I was just born in the wrong body, so the reassignment surgery was the completion of the process & as it was stated further down, if that couldn't happen for some reason. I have no doubt that it may have been a life or death situation. This is something I wouldn't even attempt to explain to someone that I didn't know, or who didn't know me.

In my world, all the trans that I know prefer male partners, as for me, I have preferred female partners since my surgery, my only explanation for that is it maybe the company I keep. So in summary, my situation was so unique, I can't even speak for other trans. The only reason I'm commenting on your question is that I believe your genuine in your wanting to understand what it's all about. If you have any other questions, please feel free to look me up on live chat.
      April 1, 2017 12:34 AM MDT

• You mean life?
    :)
      March 28, 2017 1:06 AM MDT

No, on AM....I wonder if AM is a gay site after all and have I accidentally become a part of it;))
      March 31, 2017 8:20 PM MDT

• No hun... There are many gays here but I don't think you've become part of it... Unless you want to :)
      March 31, 2017 8:23 PM MDT

OMG no no NO. NO;)))
    i lived near San Francisco and have seen many gays there....so colorful in attire.....but here I see they are colorful in many many ways....but let me remain old fashioned and stick to what I'm already having,.....thanks for the invite Di....Ozgirl;))))
      March 31, 2017 8:28 PM MDT

• Lol... As long as your happy playing on the team you're on :)
    Hugs hun
      March 31, 2017 8:30 PM MDT

Hugs back....umm sisterly ((hugs)) only;))))
      March 31, 2017 8:32 PM MDT

• Now I'm disappointed lol :)
      March 31, 2017 8:48 PM MDT

OMG don't scare me....I'm watching all this so incredulously you all are incredible....;))
      March 31, 2017 8:30 PM MDT

Oh thank you! you are very kind Winged wonder but I feel very uncomfortable with all those reactions and questions pertaining to umm...you know....;))
      March 31, 2017 11:50 PM MDT

Oh, I don't know what to say. You are right, pass on if it makes me feel uneasy. I must thank you for putting in effort to explain it so lucidly to me. Yes...you all are harmless and I shall not interfere with umm ....!
      April 1, 2017 12:20 AM MDT

• Hey wingy Won, are you a poof? well I didn't know that, well take me down the strip & bare my bum in the middle of the road.
      April 1, 2017 12:46 AM MDT