Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » It is okay to cover a poison ivy rash on arms with cloth or something to prevent scratching?

It is okay to cover a poison ivy rash on arms with cloth or something to prevent scratching?

Like a tight sleeve or will that cause spreading?

Posted - March 29, 2017

Responses

• Couldn't find any real info about that but it would seem to me that not covering it would let it dry out faster and not itch as much. We don't have have poison ivy here but have poison oak just as bad. Maybe some of the things at this link may help you out. Good luck.

3 Ways to Treat Poison Ivy and Poison Oak - wikiHow

March 29, 2017 8:46 AM MDT

I looked as well and really could not find anything answering it. Just wanting to keep myself from scratching it. i have never had it before.
      March 29, 2017 9:23 AM MDT

• I always found that the alcohol worked best whenever I got poison oaks. Stings but doesn't itch and keeps it dry.
      March 29, 2017 9:26 AM MDT

My husband was saying to use alcohol but I was not finding that on any sites but did see one that said peroxide and one said aloe. I have been putting GermX with aloe....just happen to have it on my desk. Certainly does sting a little.
      March 29, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

• If you have washed the area well with soap and water you are okay to cover it with clothing. It only spreads from scratching and cloths  when the oils are still left on the skin.  Once you wash it off it isn't going to spread . However it might hold moisture to the skin and actually make it itch more.

Your best bet is to dry it out with some Caladryl or oatmeal cream.  Both work quite well.  Taking a Benadryl tablet or cream with regular Calamine or oatmeal cream helps too.   Clear Caladryl and Calamine clear works okay but not nearly as well.
      March 29, 2017 9:09 AM MDT

It's s been washed but wanted to cover to stop my scratching. I have never been able to get it before.
      March 29, 2017 9:20 AM MDT

• It get it all the time from brushhogging and brush whacking.  

Honestly it's not surprising.   Dead poison ivy leaves from the previous season are actually the most potent.  If it's any reassurance to ya' about the advice  I hold Wilderness and occupational First-aid certifications. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 29, 2017 5:00 PM MDT
      March 29, 2017 9:34 AM MDT

Your advice sounds about like what I have found on other sites. So I do believe you. I did not know about old dead leaves being most potent though.
      March 29, 2017 10:02 AM MDT

• The amount of oil is highest end of season and is very chemically stable.   So the when the old end of season leaves die they have the most oil and  it is concentrated down.

Not even supposed put poison ivy and sumac in compost piles because the oils can remain in the compost for  very, very long time..   You'll get nasty rashes spreading it and digging into it.
      March 29, 2017 10:07 AM MDT

Interesting. So to get rid of them, are you just supposed to burn them or what?
      March 29, 2017 10:23 AM MDT

• Well...  No!
    You can ( and I do )..  However it's actually dangerous to breath in the smoke from poison ivy, sumac, and oak so be very careful if you do.

The best way to deal with it is spray it with a very strong glyphosate solution as soon as it pops-up in spring and retreat it few weeks later.   It's really hardy stuff.  Bush and ground type are  simple after that if gotten early and small and can pretty much be mowed while small  since you got it young before the oils built up.  Still you want to be covered and wash cloths and skin right away.   When It's vine type crawling on things it's basically a pain the rear and not much options to get rid of the treated vines without getting exposed.

If you got some woods or whatever I would suggest just piling it there and stay away from it.
      March 29, 2017 2:55 PM MDT

• A question best addressed to a qualified medical practitioner.
      March 29, 2017 9:18 AM MDT

Maybe but I am not going to the Dr for poison ivy....unless it gets alot worse.
      March 29, 2017 9:21 AM MDT

• A pharmacist or Quick Care is an option.
      March 29, 2017 7:58 PM MDT

even with clothing covering it
    it will still itch and you will still scratch
      March 29, 2017 9:24 AM MDT

Thank you. That seems to be the general concenus. So I will not be covering.
      March 29, 2017 10:07 AM MDT

Back when rocks were cooling, my mother would dab a bit of clorox onto the spot. It relieved the itch and I guess killed whatever nasty bugs the oils were composed of. Stung a little, too.
      March 29, 2017 12:01 PM MDT

Bleach is a new one...Have not seen it anywhere.
      March 30, 2017 4:30 AM MDT

First, wash with soap and water. Rinse well and wash again before it dries. That usually takes care of it. Spraying vitamin C solution helps, but soap and water will do well enough.

Now this: http://nowiknow.com/the-red-menace/
      March 29, 2017 2:47 PM MDT

That is funny. Poison ivy toilet seats. 
      March 30, 2017 4:39 AM MDT

• You can cover the area to prevent scratching, my suggestion would be to wash the area well, I've always used dawn dishwashing liquid as it breaks up and removes oil, after that, apply calamine lotion, ivydry, or something along those lines...cover it with something breathable, a non-stick dressing works. Scratching really doesn't spread poison ivy unless the oils remain on that area....dog fur, cat fur, and clothes can very easily carry the oils from the poison ivy plant, and can transfer to you should you touch/pet it! 
      March 29, 2017 2:49 PM MDT

not sure but if you really want to know ask this on healthtap.com and a real doctor will send you an email back
      March 29, 2017 4:51 PM MDT

it must cost something?
      March 29, 2017 4:58 PM MDT

its free if you do it under a certain amount of words
      March 29, 2017 5:34 PM MDT