Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Music » Nostalgia Time take nine?

Nostalgia Time take nine?

Answer Mug appears to be dying ... I just logged back in.. in 7 hours, 23 questions, 6 members ... Something is wrong folks ... The regulars aren't anymore ... I think this is appropriate.

Posted - April 19, 2017

Responses

• Inflammable needs to be banished from the English language.   Using the common negative prefix  in- to represent the Latin  prefix  en- is stupid and makes no sense
      April 19, 2017 4:11 PM MDT

• I appreciate what has been created here but I blame the censorship and having to walk on eggshells that has turned a lot of people away and sucked the life out of the banter with the ones still here.
      April 19, 2017 4:15 PM MDT

• Thanks Glis ... I value your input and  your concerns to appear to be a common thread that I hear ... I don't think anyone is in favour of open slather, but consistency with a less pruient approach would be nice .... I am all for stomping on hurtful replies and name calling.. but if I reply to a friend on hearing good news that she is a lucky bitch and laugh, I don't expect to be censored over a term of endearment used between friends
      April 19, 2017 4:23 PM MDT

• Even some heated stuff isn't all that bad.  I mean when it comes down to direct threats and just dragging someone through the mud it's another story.  Yet why pander to the easily offended and sticks in the mud?
    The pseudo-intellectual spam is another thing I know people have left over.   Coincidentally the biggest culprit of that gets to post ass on the thread titles but you saying bitch to a friend gets pulled.  Again I appreciate what's created being done here for us and understand it isn't our sandbox to dictate,  still I think a lot of what is pulled and isn't allowed isn't good for an internet site and pushes more away than it draws in. 
    Sure we can post on FFA and Adultmug but they are so wonky, cluttered, and the notifications there so messed up it doesn't really work right.   Besides why should any joke or reference to something slightly sexual have to be hidden in the shame corner.  In most other venues that kind of section is more for questions about explicit sexual questions.

it gets tiring seeing the same question asked 10 times a week ( sometimes a day) by the same people but worded slightly differently.
      April 19, 2017 4:34 PM MDT

• Thanks Glis and yes I agree ... To me it's not the number of questions posted, it's more the content... Are they all the same topic? .. often they are
    The reason I raised this issue is not to cause shame or hurt to anyone but to try and stop the decline I think many of us sense .. it can't be easy knowing where to draw the line ... But right now I feel it's not working, and I don't think I'm alone in that feeling ... I want AM to be strong and to grow for one simple reason... I like it here
      April 19, 2017 4:46 PM MDT

• Aye....  We now you're not trying to slam the site.  Neither am I.
      April 19, 2017 4:54 PM MDT

• I know ... If we didn't care we wouldn't be having this conversation ... :)
      April 19, 2017 4:57 PM MDT

It is appreciated what you try to do Ozzie. 
      April 19, 2017 5:01 PM MDT

• Thanks Sapphi .. but it's not just for me .. Or even us, the players ... It's for JA too .. it's her train set, she had the right to run it as she sees fit ...  But it is dying .. I don't wish to lose my home, not to I wish to see her loose the efforts she has put into the place .. I could do nothing and just walk away, but I'd rather try first
      April 19, 2017 5:07 PM MDT

What I say, it is appreciated. I like JA very much, and wish for her and us that this play can stay as interesting, and inclusive as possible.
      April 19, 2017 5:11 PM MDT

Two sets of standards seems being an issue. Some stuff will be allowed inside one kind of questions, but not tolerated inside others. It occurs certain members have been on a watch list, and even so more certain questions (defined by poster) have been under watch more than others.
      April 19, 2017 4:27 PM MDT

Agree the sexual banter is a bit much and should be relegated to the adult category. Wit is fine, but most of what occurs here is of the adolescent variety.

The other thing is the amount of "prolific posts" (aka Spam) that some post - as many as 30 in a row which generate few views and even fewer answers. Maybe two per hour or per day (or something like that) should be the rule.

Finally, the "silly" stuff is, well, silly.

April 19, 2017 4:16 PM MDT

A lot is silly. As per number of question per day won't be a way ahead. It's not the numbers, but the content. The silly questions generates more traffic than those "spam/trolling" questions you are making references for. Can only be one as you mention 30 in a row. Behind any silliness there is an ounce of seriousness. I can respect you don't get/understand that part. There will be things I don't get/understand. 
      April 19, 2017 4:22 PM MDT

The "insider" aspect of silly is obvious. To each his own. No problem with that for those.

This post was edited by Louie at April 19, 2017 4:44 PM MDT
      April 19, 2017 4:43 PM MDT

So... an insider cannot reply? Enjoy your view from the pedestal. 
      April 19, 2017 4:44 PM MDT

This is a perfect example.
      April 19, 2017 8:41 PM MDT

I joined this site at the beginning of the year and I have to say, when I started replying on those silly threads, I wasn't shut out and I felt very welcomed.  That isn't how typical "insider" stuff works.  I think it has more to do with individual interests and personality.  Sometimes we mesh with certain people, and sometimes we don't. 
      April 19, 2017 4:50 PM MDT

April 19, 2017 4:57 PM MDT

Thank you. :-)
      April 20, 2017 4:54 PM MDT

• Thank you Louie ... I appreciate your views .. I can understand your point on the silly questions issue ( and for the sake of openness, Sapphi and I are friends and I do enjoy her questions ... So if this appears to have a biased view I apologise in advance) ... I think they have value as they are open ended questions ... The structure allows them to go wherever people wish to take them... And normally a great many people do participate and have fun with them ... But that's a personal point of view and I understand if they don't appeal to you.
      April 19, 2017 4:31 PM MDT

Ozgirl, thank you for starting this thread.  Not sure if this is appropriate but I am going to put it out there anyway.

There were a couple of people that joined around the same time I did.  We became friendly and, over time, we discussed with each other about what we felt were over postings of what appeared to be rhetorical or identical questions along with inconsistencies in monitoring.   As newbies, there was the shared feeling that we were being targeted while others who had been here longer were given much more freedom of expression.  I was slapped down extremely rudely, when I simply let the poster know I didn't agree with their POV and explained why.  That person was not reprimanded because they were a long time member.  Yet, a short while later, I was censored over a joke (no abusive language) that I made to a friend.  I was told I was too rude to the member in my response.  And, when I explained we were old friends from another site, I was told smiley faces are what are usually used so people know that it is a joke.  I didn't argue or get upset.  I have a pretty thick skin. But, it was confusing to me in the fact that my friend knows me and knew it was joke.  I still don't understand why I needed to worry about what anyone else may read into it when it was a post between me and my friend, who didn't complain. 

Getting back to the people who joined the site at the same time I did, one that I thought I had developed a rapport with, who had been one of the people that complained to me, deleted his account without giving me any warning he was going.  It leaves me wondering how many other people have joined and done the same thing.  I know we can't control what other people do, but I believe we should all feel comfortable enough to be able to have an open discussion without fear of retribution, which, for me personally, hasn't been the case here.

I will add, in closing, that lately, it's been feeling like the life has been sucked out of the room here.  Good people that I liked aren't here anymore or make minimal appearances.  I wonder if that is healthy or normal for sites like this.  I honestly don't know because I don't have enough experience with them.  I do know that not everyone is going to agree, that's just human nature.  But, is it possible for us to find a good balance here of what is appropriate and acceptable behavior and, if there is an issue, feel that we can talk about it openly?  I think most will agree that the objective is to be answering questions and interacting in a way that will bring in more members, not feeling the need to defend ourselves or be fearful we will have our hands slapped as if we were children.
      April 19, 2017 5:40 PM MDT

• Outstanding Harry! Brilliant!
      April 19, 2017 5:56 PM MDT

Thank you Rooster.  It's just something that comes from my heart.  I don't want to hurt anyone or create problems here.  This site has been a lifesaver for me during a long hard winter.  I think there are some great people here, my interaction with JA has been nothing short of wonderful and I would like to see this site really take off and become successful.
      April 19, 2017 6:00 PM MDT

• Best of luck to you!
      April 19, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

Uh oh.  Am I going somewhere? LOL!

April 19, 2017 6:05 PM MDT