Discussion » Questions » Family » What would it take for YOU to tell your child "You're dead to me"? Why?

What would it take for YOU to tell your child "You're dead to me"? Why?

High school seniors Phillip Freeman and Anna Hayes from Lake Village, Arkansas attended a prom together. He is black and she is white. Would that be reason enough for you to say such words to your child? Do you support or decry dearest daddy's reaction? Why?

Posted - May 6, 2017

Responses

Rosie,  I love the way your words so accurately describe how I feel about my beautiful family of different colors.  Hugs and have a wonderful day, my friend. 
      May 7, 2017 7:47 AM MDT

My son was raised to accept people from all races so dating someone from another race has never been a problem.
    And I can't think of anything that he could do that would make him dead to me. Even if I didn't agree with something he did, I would always love him no matter what. This post was edited by Lulu'sMom at May 10, 2017 3:42 PM MDT
      May 6, 2017 11:16 AM MDT

You and I both are the same.  My kids are no angels. But absolutely NOTHING or NOBODY could take that love I feel for my kids away. 
      May 6, 2017 12:10 PM MDT

Ditto for me and how I feel about my son Lulu'sMom.  In fact he is married to a beautiful woman who is part Japanese/Portuguese/Philippina!  Sometimes for whatever reason people distance themselves from loved ones. BUT they don't stop loving and saying something as despicable as that for such a reason? Seriously sad and heartbreaking. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      May 7, 2017 4:28 AM MDT

Nothing would make me say such a statement  I have, however, disassociated myself from one son because of his inhumanity.  (I still love him)

IMO the person (dearest daddy), and living in the flesh, is dead to the soul, and just waiting for his place in hell.
      May 6, 2017 12:06 PM MDT

I agree with thee totally Beans/SG. Sometimes you do have to distance yourself from a loved one for whatever reason but to SAY that to your child for such a reason as that? Despicable! Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      May 7, 2017 4:03 AM MDT

I get the gist of "You're dead to me"; but I wanted to know exactly what this phrase meant. So I went to the Urban Dictionary.

The expression of such utter distaste for a person or object that it calls for the personal denial of its worldly existance (sic). Can be used to express disintrest sic), hatred, or something/someone that has gone out of style.

I could feel that way about some thing one of them did, but I could never stop loving him or ever stop showing him that I still did.
      May 6, 2017 1:00 PM MDT

I was shocked when I read that but I know there ARE people like that who are so racist/bigoted it becomes their entire world. Pity anyone with whom they come in contact. They are not parental material at all but sadly this young girl is stuck with that monstrous pathetic excuse for a father. Bad luck for her. Thank you for your reply and the additional info tj. I appreciate it! :)
      May 7, 2017 3:59 AM MDT

i dont have kids but thats really mean for her parents to do that
      May 6, 2017 3:50 PM MDT

I could only say that to two people and neither one of them are my son.
      May 6, 2017 5:04 PM MDT

How pathetic that in this day and age a child would be condemned for dating someone of a different race. I find it a tragedy that a parent would chastise their child for this reason. Shame on them!(Acts 10:34) This post was edited by Autumnleaves at June 28, 2017 6:22 PM MDT
      June 27, 2017 6:44 PM MDT