Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Brexit..

Brexit..

As more than a million people sign a petition for a second EU referendum we ask - could it actually happen?    What sounds foolish to the wise, sounds wise to the foolish.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/25/could-britain-actually-have-a-second-referendum-on-brexit/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/25/more-than-half-a-million-sign-petition-demanding-referendum-reru/

Posted - June 25, 2016

Responses

As your article states, there are a variety of ways the UK could reverse the decision to withdraw from the EU.

I suspect what will happen in the long run is the UK will go through the process of withrawal, the citizens of the UK will find it solves very little of their complaints, and the UK will apply for reinstatement within 10-15 years.

June 25, 2016 11:38 AM MDT

Couldn't they all have voted in the last vote? Why would you need another?
      June 25, 2016 11:38 AM MDT

Obama says they have to get at the back of the line, as far as trade deals and economic issues. Wait until the fallout for our American investments start showing up! We are 30% of their investors.

I get they don't like to be told anything. But even Spain is going after the Island of Gibraltar.

Britain is a colonial power, yet they wanted immigrants out of their country. How ironic is that?

All I can say is good luck!
      June 25, 2016 12:06 PM MDT

It should not, in a million years, happen.  One vote.  Period.  Citizens can't be coddled.  If they didn't know what was going on that is their own fault.  Best they didn't make it to the polling place.  Informed people voted it seems. 

June 25, 2016 1:07 PM MDT

June 25, 2016 1:13 PM MDT

June 25, 2016 1:13 PM MDT

June 25, 2016 1:14 PM MDT

June 25, 2016 1:14 PM MDT

Much as I voted to stay in, I don't see any point in having another referendum so soon after the first one. Maybe a few years later it could make a difference, but now? Marguerite, we were a colonial power, but that was a long time ago. But you are right in what you say about the immigrants. The Brexit campaign made immigration their main issue. Most of our immigration still comes from our former colonies, particularly the Asian countries, India and Pakistan, not from Europe. Over here, "Asian" means from the Indian sub-continent, not oriental, as you tend to mean in the US. I saw a little sign lying in the street which said, "Leave the EU. No more Polish vermin." I don't doubt that many of the Brexit people voted for less bigoted reasons, but they made immigration the main thrust of their argument, and this illustrates how some people responded to it. The Brexit people seem to be trying to distance themselves from that now, pretending they didn't talk about it that much!
    I might add that a few years ago, after hearing about attacks on Polish people in part of Huntingdon, I wrote an article trying to counter the kind of thinking that gave rise to that, for one of the magazines I was working on at the time. Evidently, I did not get through to enough people.
      June 25, 2016 10:06 PM MDT