Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Recreation » Does it take any training to learn how to shoot a gun? Can a novice (like me) just buy one and be able to defend herself? How?

Does it take any training to learn how to shoot a gun? Can a novice (like me) just buy one and be able to defend herself? How?

Posted - October 5, 2017

Responses

Not much; yes; and apply for a permit. Or join a gang. I hear they’re everywhere out there in Cali. 

October 5, 2017 4:29 AM MDT

Laws vary from state to state, easiest way would be to just go to a gun shop and ask them what is required for you purchase one. They will know everything. 
      October 14, 2017 11:11 AM MDT

We've been pals a very long time so apologies if I already told you this m2c. When I was 10 I had my first and ONLY experience with a gun of any kind. It was a handgun. It was short-lived. My dad worked nights. My mom wasn't the type to handle a gun(she was terrified of them) and my baby sister was of course too young. One day my dad asked me to come into the bedroom. He took something off a shelf and it was a handgun. I didn't even know we had one because I had never seen it before. He told me he wanted me to know how to use it. I told him I didn't want to know. He put the gun in my hand and I started crying and shaking.  He thought I was old enough and responsible enough to learn how to handle it so if need be I could protect the family. He didn't anticipate that reaction. He removed it from my hand and I never saw it again. I still feel that metal in my hand. I was  10. I am almost 80. That's a long time. Thanks for your reply m2c! :)
      October 15, 2017 2:23 AM MDT

That actually explains alot. Your Mom was afraid of guns and taught that to you...either directly or indirectly.  Your while not afraid of the gun kept it hidden reaffirming the gun was something to be afraid of and a taboo of some kind.  
    I grow up knowing their was a gun in the house. Knowing that it was not a toy and that I was not to touch it or play with. And that it was their for protection if it was ever needed....it never was to my knowledge. 
    So there was no fear taught....respect and confidence of protect....with no taboo attached to it. 
    We have tried to instill that in our children as well. 

October 15, 2017 6:59 AM MDT

I think you know I've often said on Answerbag and Answermug that I am not a gun person BUT if I had been raised with guns as a normal part of life I'd feel differently. So I acknowledge that. It's common sense.  But I never realized that the fear came from my mom. I mean I don't remember her ever saying anything about guns specifically. It was never a subject of conversation in our house that I can recall. But maybe she did show that fear and somehow I picked up on it. It was a terrible scary moment for me and I know my dad felt really bad. The fact that I remember it in such vivid detail 7 decades later shows how indelible an experience it was. Thank you for our reply and some insight m2c. I think you're right. I never had any personal bad experience with a gun yet I became hysterical holding one.    :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 15, 2017 7:23 AM MDT
      October 15, 2017 7:21 AM MDT

Yes, as a novice one can in most States that respect the Constitution purchase a firearm without regard to past experience. (Some of the Nanny States have laws that require otherwise, I think that you live in one of those States.)

But if one actually has sufficient brainpower to execute the purchase of a firearm for the very first time then yes, they're going to want some training in its proper care, feeding and usage. Otherwise they may become eligible for membership in the Darwin Awards Program, or worse.

If you're serious (something that I highly doubt) then you should ask at the gun shop where you're making the purchase about safety and use training in addition to which firearm is most appropriate for your situation. Believe it or not those folks are usually very friendly, very knowledgeable, will have all manner of good advice as to what to purchase and will know about firearms safety courses in the area. In fact, a number of gun shops also have shooting ranges and will gladly let you take a firearm for a test drive under the watchful eye of a gun shop employee who is also likely to be a certified firearms training instructor. There may be a modest rental fee (the gun has to be properly cleaned after it's been fired), usually applied towards the purchase of a firearm, and the cost of a box or two of ammunition.

Another excellent source for training is the NRA.

https://www.nrainstructors.org/search.aspx

That WEB site can locate one near to you. And NRA certified firearms instructors REALLY know their stuff, they have to to get that certification. Many will even be happy to talk to you and help you sort out if you really need one (you didn't express a desire for sporting use, only for protection) and which is the most appropriate for your needs and abilities. Keep in mind that most of them are independent, not directly affiliated with the NRA beyond that instructor certification. 
      October 14, 2017 12:15 PM MDT

It takes training to be proficient with a fire arm.

October 14, 2019 12:47 PM MDT

Is this a joke question?  

What do you think the police training is about?   

They spend weeks in training and we are going to a WAL-MART and getting ourselves one too?  

October 14, 2019 12:49 PM MDT