Discussion » Questions » Music » What do these Damien Rice lyrics from "Rat within the Grain" mean?

What do these Damien Rice lyrics from "Rat within the Grain" mean?

In my bed
Go rest your head
Upon the bones of a bigger man
He can cover you with rockwool
And you can close up like a clam

-From "Rat within the Grain"

The whole song is about the woman closing him out, so I get the closing up like a clam part, but what's the deal with the rockwool? 

Posted - August 21, 2016

Responses

• Insipid rambling.

August 21, 2016 9:01 PM MDT

My interpretation is that she can go off to this guy who she thinks will be a better option for her, but he's just going to essentially shut her down, shut her up, and she will then close up like a clam... her real self, that is. Damien Rice seems to be a very deep, philosophical (and likely deeply disturbed, hehe) man. I don't think he'd be one for a fluffy sort of relationship, but wants to get down to it all... everything, what's in a woman's soul. This other man, in his eyes at least, would smother her soul, or maybe just wouldn't really care to know it.  Rock wool is used for soundproofing. Make sense? 

I actually went on your profile to ask you a question about a friend of mine who is having a hard time opening an account here. She deleted a while back and wants to rejoin, but is having trouble setting up an account. I told her I would inquire. PM me when you get a chance. I know you're a busy woman! :)

August 22, 2016 8:47 PM MDT

P.S - Thank you for posting this, I'd forgotten how much I LOVE this song!! 

August 22, 2016 8:50 PM MDT

August 24, 2016 2:28 AM MDT

August 24, 2016 9:23 AM MDT

It's insulation

She can hide and isolate herself within. 

August 24, 2016 9:28 AM MDT