Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Sports » If you've ever gone skydiving, what pros and cons can you tell me as I decide whether or not to do it?

If you've ever gone skydiving, what pros and cons can you tell me as I decide whether or not to do it?

For over two decades now, I've toyed with the idea in the back burner of my mind, should I or should I not go skydiving?  I'm not really a bucket-list type of person, so I don't classify it as that such of thought, meaning that I haven't made it a must-do event in my lifetime.  With every passing year, the possibility I'll do it comes up quite infrequently, but I do think about it every now and then. 

If you have any experience at all concerning skydiving, good or bad or mediocre, what pointers would you have like to have known beforehand?

~

Posted - June 23, 2019

Responses

I think you are gonna die, okay?  
      June 23, 2019 11:00 PM MDT

I went skydiving when I was in my early 50s.  A friend from work called on the spur of the moment, said she and a friend of hers made a reservation to do it and wanted to know if I was interested.  I was.  It was a gorgeous day.  I did a tandem jump and it was one of the most exhilarating experiences I've ever had.  Looking down at the ground from 10,000 feet up is amazing.  To be honest, it was sensory overload and when we landed, I barely had any recall of the experience until I had a chance to think about it.  I was not afraid at all.  
      June 24, 2019 6:51 AM MDT

Thanks!  Is it true that by regulation (or law) a person‘s first jump has to be tandem?
    ~
      June 24, 2019 8:50 AM MDT

I don't know if it's a law, but you have to know when to open the chute and you have to keep an eye on gauges to know that.  Your first jump will be consumed with being an eagle so you won't be looking at your wrist gauges.  I would be surprised if any reputable jump school would let you got out alone the first time.
      June 24, 2019 9:18 AM MDT

You made me smile. :)
    I thought I might like to try.  I won't say I'm not afraid of heights.  We all are. It means I have other fears that worry me more than jumping.
    https://www.skydiving.com/news/2017/skydiving/accidents/female-skydiving-enthusiast-survives-plummeting-14500-feet-onto-fire-ant-mound/
    Pat your friendly fire ant before you think to jump.

Another thought is death by skydiving .0007%.  You are more likely to be hit by a bus than to die skydiving.

It's not the jump, the life changing feeling, the view on the way down, or the speed. 
    It's the sudden stop at the end that I worry about.
    That is just me.  I believe in gravity and the the power it has over me. 

You, on the other hand.  I can say, will never know until you try.

Life is good.  Don't die wondering.
    Believe you will succeed and chances are, you will.
    :) :)

P.S. Speaking of wills... 

This post was edited by Merlin at June 24, 2019 10:20 AM MDT
      June 24, 2019 10:18 AM MDT

It is a worthy experience, a persons 1st jump is normally tandem in the civilian world.  My 1st jump was off a static line out of a C130, what a rush
      June 24, 2019 8:46 PM MDT