Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Horse Racing attracts tons of people. Would People Racing attract tons of horses? Aren't humans the only animal that exploits other animals?

Horse Racing attracts tons of people. Would People Racing attract tons of horses? Aren't humans the only animal that exploits other animals?

Posted - September 10, 2016

Responses

Maybe.

Unfortunately that's probably true.

September 14, 2016 2:33 PM MDT

Human races men vs women with horses watching and betting.

September 14, 2016 2:42 PM MDT

• (Answer to the second question)

"No" ... Pilot fish (Naucrates ductor) are fish that live in many places of the world. They live in warm water. They eat parasites on larger fish.

Pilot fish usually gather around sharks (also rays and sea turtles). They eat parasites on their host, and small pieces of food that their host does not eat (leftovers). When pilot fish are young, they gather around jellyfish and drifting seaweeds.

Pilot fish follow sharks because other animals which might eat them will not come near a shark. In return, sharks do not eat pilot fish because pilot fish eat their parasites. This is called a "mutualist" relationship. Small pilot fish are often seen swimming into the mouth of a shark to eat small pieces of food from the shark's teeth.

SOURCE: Wikipedia

September 14, 2016 8:08 PM MDT

• Hermit crabs take the anemones off their old shell and put them on the new one when they change.  They do this because the anemone ward off predators that might make a snack out an undefended crab.

September 14, 2016 8:25 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply C&D and Happy Thursday to thee! :)

September 15, 2016 1:54 AM MDT

Folks would undoubtedly pay a lotta money to see that movie! It would have to be animated though.Wouldn't it? Thank you for your reply tk and Happy Thursday! :)

September 15, 2016 1:56 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply ALF. I don't consider that exploiting animals . Eating other animals to survive is not the same thing as putting them in cages, charging money to stare at them, forcing them to race so you can be entertained by betting on them. Bulls are exploited in bullfights. So are dogs and chickens wherever they are forced to fight. So your interpretation of exploiting is different from mine.  According to the dictionary exploitation refers to "use or utilization especially for profit". Nice to see  you. Happy Thursday! :)

September 15, 2016 2:01 AM MDT

• Of course you don't. I expected nothing less.

September 15, 2016 2:03 AM MDT

Why? I never have any expectations of you other than civility. So far that is what I always get. So I would like you to explain to me why you gave this response. We don't know each at all and have rarely barely chatted over the years. Why would you have any expectations of me ALF?

September 15, 2016 2:25 AM MDT

Only if the people were racing to get good hay, "soft-feed" and treats to the horses. Just don't be carrying any riding tack or the horses will evaporate into the far end of the pasture.

September 15, 2016 11:05 AM MDT

As others point out, a good many animals are either predators simply trying to survive, parasites perhaps one step down from actual predator,  or symbiotes forming co-operative relationships with other animals; but you're right, no other animal exploits so many other species to such a degree as humans. And we can be just as cruel or exploitative to our own kind.

It seems a paradox that our far greater intellect than that of other animals allows us both to know what we are doing and control our predatory or parasitical instincts that help other creatures to find food etc. - but also to harness those instincts for reasons beyond our own survival.

September 22, 2016 4:21 PM MDT

Buzzards do too.

September 22, 2016 4:35 PM MDT

have seen lot's of people racing

but never seen any horses around

but maybe they just wouldn't let them in.

...I think Pigeons exploit humans

you feed them 

and they will still poop all over you

and everything else around.

...a lot of ideas of what exploitation is...huh?

September 22, 2016 4:37 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply char and Happy Friday! :)

September 23, 2016 2:38 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful answer Durdle and Happy Friday! :)

September 23, 2016 2:39 AM MDT

Round here, a coastal town, it's sea-birds rather than pigeons, and they soon learnt that the shiny black plastic bags people put out over-night for the morning refuse collection, usually contain at least some food waste to augment a diet of freshly-caught fast-food remnants discarded by the litter-louts.

Cats are pretty good at using people - they ingratiate their way into your life, spend hours snoozing in the comfiest part of your home (probably while dreaming innately-feline dreams of Ancient Egypt), and are careful to crap in next-door's carefully-tended garden...

PS: I like cats - usually. Perhaps it's the Leo star sign's effect!

September 23, 2016 3:11 AM MDT

I attended one horse race Baba at Hollywood Park in  California when I was 19 and then another one many years later in Mexico when my then-best friend and her fiance who owned a race horse ran him. It was really exciting. They had an owner's box so I felt kinda ritzy. It was a Claimer's race or claiming race. I think the point was to showcase the horse and sell it if anyone was interested in buying it but I'm  not sure. That horse didn't win either. They kept it at some stables in the states so after the race they got their horse and we came home and returned the horse to the stables. I think they were located in Arcadia. That was such a long time ago! It was very exciting to watch. The guy I was with when I was 19 placed a $2 bet for me and I don't know how much he bet  otherwise. "My" horse did not win but it was neat and nifty to have a horse to root for.  I suppose exploiting is in the eye of the beholder. The exploiter may not realize it. Only observers do. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday!  :)

September 23, 2016 3:40 AM MDT

We adore our cat Tigger! He was a stray who adopted us about 10 years ago and has brought so much joy to our lives. He rules the house for sure and we try to obey him because he is after all the King! He is a benevolent ruler though and kind and surprisingly undemanding! Both Jim and I are Scorpios. Jim likes dogs and cats alike. I prefer cats because they're independent. Dogs are too needy for attention.  Thank you for your thoughtful reply Durdle. How do you feel about dogs? I had one once when I was 10. His name was Blackie and he was a friendly little guy. But on my own as an adult I never  wanted a dog. Too much trouble! :)

September 23, 2016 3:47 AM MDT

Re previous: Yes, our cat "adopted" when a young kitten found at work by my sister. He had a collar but no name-tag. Mum's "We'll look after him until we find his owner" turned into the rest of the creature's life! During that time a new neighbour arrived, with a large ex-tom like a dwarf panther, who soon made our garden and house part of his territory too. Our cat discovered the best way to get along with him was by a certain deference, and I had a photo of the two sleeping near each other in the sun on my bed.

No, never had a dog. Had a rabbit and later a guinea-pig when I was young. 

I've never been to a horse-race, but have a friend who used to ride for competitions then pleasure, and still does, but a friend's horse in return for helping look after it.

Going back to the OP, I suppose some might view keeping pets as "exploitative" but provided the animals are looked after properly, the larger animals like human company - especially as domestic servants! - and they live longer than they would in their wild state.  

I do feel sorry for lone horses though, often in a rather thin paddock for much of the day. They are herd animals and need company.

I'm also concerned about the dogs accompanying joggers or people in mobility-scooters, because although the dog seems to enjoy the exercise, it is being forced into very un-natural behaviour. Like most animals, a dog does not instinctively or habitually go running, trotting or even walking, long distances non-stop for no real purpose of its own. If you watch one off the lead (where that's permissible and safe) or on a long lead held by a patient walker, it prefers to go at its own pace; stopping to see, hear and smell all sorts of things of canine importance on the way, and to explore its surroundings. 

September 23, 2016 4:17 AM MDT

That is something I've observed for years but never once thought about from the dog's point of view. The owner is clearly enjoying the company and if the dog is large the protection having a dog by one's side affords is comforting I'm sure. But the animal? Not his cuppa tea but he/she wants to please master/mistress and so goes along with it. That IS sad. I wonder if any of the owners have ever considered that Durdle? Here's something you will appreciate . We bought a leash for our cat Tigger thinking we could take him for walks. He was about 2 years old when he adopted us.  Well you know how well that went over. We never made it out of the house. He fought that leash as if it were an animal attacking and he was fighting to survive. He wanted no part of it. Now maybe if we had him when he was a kitten we might have trained him to accept it. What is your opinion of leashes in general?  Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Durdle! :)

September 23, 2016 5:31 AM MDT

Obviously we can't really know what's going on in the mind of animal who can't talk to us, but dogs and cats do seem to enjoy the company of their owners.

Dogs are pack animals and appear to regard the humans with whom they live as part of the pack.

Cats are a bit aloof but like dogs, they know who is supplying the three main needs: food, warmth and shelter.

Leashes? Not a problem if done in the right way, but the animal does need to be trained to it from early on, though perhaps once trained they regard it as just a part of life. Cats are harder to train, especially in the way you can train a dog, so although a few cat owners have been able to take their pets for walks I am not surprised Tigger objected.

September 23, 2016 1:42 PM MDT

Tigger did it very determinedly and made no attempt to adjust to it. He got frantic so of course we took off the leash and I'm not sure where I  put it. In the closet maybe on a shelf somewhere. When he was younger he'd scamper outside, jump on the wall and visit neighbor's yards. But age has taken it's toll and he no longer does that. Just like humans animals slow down as they age. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Saturday!  :)

September 24, 2016 5:07 AM MDT