Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Humans use animals for food, clothing, transportation, entertainment, financial gain, etc. We build zoos and cage them in and charge money to watch them. Aren't humans the lowest animal ethically?

Humans use animals for food, clothing, transportation, entertainment, financial gain, etc. We build zoos and cage them in and charge money to watch them. Aren't humans the lowest animal ethically?

Posted - September 10, 2016

Responses

That depends. Minks are well known to go into a killing frenzy and keep on killing long after they have caught all the food they need to eat ;-))

But yes, I agree that raising animals for food is not ethically proper. Alas some vitamins are hard to get in any other way. So until we can make "artificial meat", we need to keep on doing it.

September 10, 2016 8:54 AM MDT

Hello Rosie:

It's NOT that we're ethically challenged.  It's that we're not advanced enough yet..  Oh, I know..  We LOOK all modern with our fancy suits and iPhones.  But, we're just a couple generations beyond being hunter gatherers. Our advances in technology have well outpaced our advances in social growth.  We're as tribal as we've ever been..

excon

September 10, 2016 9:08 AM MDT

• People are unaware of all the work being done by zoos for the benefit of animals that wouldn't get done without them.
    I'm not, obviously, talking about the Indian dancing bears here by the way.
    There is a lot of habitat conservation, health, monitoring and maintenance of endangered species, (the lands bear has been pulled out of the endangered species list because of the work of zoos), rescue of animals after flood or fire, and reintroduction to individual animals to the wild after long treatment or after the young has been left without a mother. All of that costs money.
    So, yeah, it's sad to see them caged, I don't go to zoos, but unless people are willing (which they are not) to shoulder the burden of all this expenditure, ill just have to continue to drive by and let them be.
    In terms of the captivity part of it. Yeah. It's awful. I don't have an answer to that.

September 10, 2016 9:23 AM MDT

Yes I agree and the worst thing is caging an animal and depriving it of its freedom. We cage humans for violent crimes but we think it's ok to cage animals which haven't done anything wrong?

September 10, 2016 10:10 AM MDT

September 10, 2016 10:13 AM MDT

• I meant Panda Bear.

September 10, 2016 11:00 AM MDT

you have a point, i dont think its always right what people do to animals

September 10, 2016 6:37 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply JakobA and Happy Sunday! :)

September 11, 2016 3:43 AM MDT

So how long do you think it will take for humans to become honorable/ethical/kind? Thank you for your thoughtful reply excon , I guess I'm tribal because I certainly relate far more to some folks that to others.  But I never liked zoos and I have always despised hunting for sport, especially mounting the heads of the kill on a wall as a trophy! :(

September 11, 2016 3:46 AM MDT

Thank you for your very thoughtful reply NFB and for bringing another dimension to my question. So Zoos do serve a positive purpose. That's good to know. I never  liked zoos..even as a kid. I felt bad for the animals. I still do. Happy Sunday to thee! :)

September 11, 2016 3:48 AM MDT

Me either pearl. Thank you for your reply! :)

September 11, 2016 3:48 AM MDT

• I don't like them either. Not one bit. But, some of the things they do, nobody else does. Not even Animal Rights activists. So, what do you do?

September 11, 2016 6:43 AM MDT

I've thought that too at times.

Our treatment of animals is terrible.Humans also MURDER them when they think there is "too many" of them. They do it by hunts, and in animal "shelters".  It is so horrible; I've read of these places killing pregnant cats, and mother cats with kittens who are DAYS old.

September 14, 2016 2:32 PM MDT

Humans have brains and control the World, animals have no  say as they never learned a language.

September 14, 2016 2:44 PM MDT

Didn't Sarah Palin offer money to wolf killers? All they had to do was turn in a paw as proof of the murder? Yes. Some people are cruelly inhuman and don't even realize it. Thank you for your reply C&D! :)

September 15, 2016 3:20 AM MDT

What do I do? You mean what did I do before I retired NDT or what do I do about zoos? I'm perplexed. Can you  unperplex me please?

September 16, 2016 2:50 AM MDT