Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Do you believe Native Americans have a right to protect their sacred lands from being polluted by oil pipelines running under them and under rivers that provide life-sustaining water? Why?

Do you believe Native Americans have a right to protect their sacred lands from being polluted by oil pipelines running under them and under rivers that provide life-sustaining water? Why?

Posted - September 10, 2016

Responses

Yes I do completely. The world should take a lesson from the Native Americans on how to treat "Mother Earth."

September 10, 2016 9:40 AM MDT

All lands matter.

September 10, 2016 9:57 AM MDT

• Yes I do and I hope this pipeline is stopped. Native American issues are often ignored, so it's nice to see this one getting some media coverage. 

September 10, 2016 10:00 AM MDT

Yes, I do. After all, it IS their land. I certainly wouldn't want an oil pipeline under my property.

September 10, 2016 10:03 AM MDT

• Clever

September 10, 2016 10:54 AM MDT

Obama stepped in and stopped it. For how long I don't know. We have to be respectful of other cultures and  traditions. ESPECIALLY Native Americans since we are on their land which we took from them in most ignoble and horrific ways. Thank you for your reply Nevan and Happy Sunday! :)

September 11, 2016 1:45 AM MDT

Exactly. It will run under sacred ground AND a river. Now you and I both know that pipelines leak. The river is their source of water which is why their battle cry is WATER IS LIFE. So Obama stepped in and stopped it temporarily. They are going to have to figure o ut a way to reroute it. That jacka** judge who rejected stopping the construction company is some jerk! 15 minutes after his miserable ruling to go ahead with it the US Government stepped in and put a kibosh on it!  Hurray for our team! Thank you for your reply Ele and Happy Sunday!  :)

September 11, 2016 1:50 AM MDT

I totally agree. Thank you for your reply MS and Happy Sunday! :)

September 11, 2016 1:51 AM MDT

Yes....they should be given back the lands that was taken by force from them.....
      September 11, 2016 6:44 PM MDT

I agree. Shame on the Americans who forcibly took lands belonging to others and killed them to do so. When I was growing up the Indians were always portrayed as bad. Then I learned the real history and was shocked. The government is still at it. I read that there have been something like 400 treaties signed with Native Americans and every one of them has been broken! Some illustriious record of duplicity and betrayal. Thank you for your reply Nj! :)

September 12, 2016 2:14 AM MDT

England has no better track record.....the old English have rated the world.....nearly most recent is the Austrilian Indigonous people.....all in the name of the King and Queen....huh....Americas latest is taking the Hawaiian islands from them....it's good to powerful and untouchable.....but nothing stays the same forever.....
      September 12, 2016 3:36 AM MDT

Human nature is the same now as it always was. That hasn't changed substantively or appreciably. Hate still reigns supreme among many humans.  Laws don't change what people think or feel. It would be great if it could work outside in but getting along with people and obliterating racism and bigotry can only work from inside out.  The targets of racism/ bigotry are still waiting to be treated by  EVERYONE fairly and with civility.  Some things never change. Sadly. Thank you for your reply Njj! :)

September 12, 2016 3:47 AM MDT

Of course.

September 14, 2016 2:39 PM MDT

Why?

September 15, 2016 3:08 AM MDT