Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Remember when people used to have to go to the library to gather information? That was weird.

Remember when people used to have to go to the library to gather information? That was weird.

Posted - November 23, 2019

Responses

I used to live in them.  Then I got into hanging in the Barnes and Nobels Bookstores because you can sit in the store and read stuff.  I used to hide out there and read for hours.  (bum) 

November 23, 2019 5:39 PM MST

• I used to do the same thing in my 20’s. Hang at bookstores And read Cos they had coffee shops there. On Sunday's when the bars were closed :) love the song 
      November 23, 2019 5:41 PM MST

The Pixies are God.  

And the COFFEE?  That was the only thing I bought.  I read every Ann Rule book in there.  I couldn't put them down.  When ever you need a topic, True Crime fills the bill.  
      November 23, 2019 5:48 PM MST

I still do.
    The uni has access to academic journals and hosts of research which is not available on the open Net.
    It also has a huge supply of books in my topic areas - and I still love the feel of a real book.
      November 23, 2019 8:12 PM MST

Nothing "weird" about it whatsoever - it's simply out of your own experience, that's all!

How could it have been "weird", when it was common-place?

Besides, as Bookworm says, sometimes a library is the best route to any serious, original rather than derived, material. Especially now, as so many of the academic journals have been collared by commercial outfits demanding such expensive, print or on-line, subscriptions that it can even hamper or block authors from reading their own, published work.
      December 17, 2019 1:14 PM MST