Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Used to be folks in waiting rooms would read books, newspapers, magazines. Not today. Everyone is hooked up to a CELL PHONE. Except me. You?

Used to be folks in waiting rooms would read books, newspapers, magazines. Not today. Everyone is hooked up to a CELL PHONE. Except me. You?

Posted - February 15, 2020

Responses

I was at the doctor office a few days ago and their magazine selection was crap. I don't use a cell phone. Waiting is quite boring.
      February 16, 2020 8:32 AM MST

Just take something with you that you have been wanting to read but didn't have time E. That's what I do. Just a thought! Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to thee! :)
      February 16, 2020 10:12 AM MST

I think that's a perfectly legitimate use of a cell phone/the Internet. Why sit reading 6-year-old issues of Highlights magazine (though I do have a fondness for Goofus and Gallant) when you can call up the Internet and further your studies of the Treaties of Brest-Litovsk?

I suppose one could argue we should have a society where bored patrons in waiting rooms should strike up conversations with each other (and that's probably normal in some cultures), but that's not the society we have.

I am much more concerned (and, at times, aggravated) by people who lose themselves in their phones when they should be paying attention to their surroundings. For example, I recently observed a driver back into the middle of a tee intersection in a parking lot, then come to a complete stop while he fiddled with his phone. 

February 16, 2020 8:47 AM MST

Not everyone is hooked up/attached to/dependent upon a cell phone SP. I for one will never have one. Jim has one and he loves playing around with it all the time. I, on the other hand, think cell phone users are like FB members. They follow the leader and have to be in on it. Not me. I don't want to be in on anything the masses are in on. Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 16, 2020 10:50 AM MST

Me neither!

Some waiting rooms I have known, hold reasonable literature interesting to both sexes, such as the National Trust's glossy magazine. In others it's either none at all, or old copies of women's "celebrity" magazines like OK.

My local surgery when I lived near it, often had copies of the County magazines.

These are expensive glossies aimed at the wealthy "off-cumdens" to the county in question: rich London retirees and the second-home-buying Canary Wharf set and their like, stereotypically wearing green wellies and cloth caps, and driving Tarquin and Fi-Fi from school to ballet-lesson in top-range, Range-Rovers. The bidets alone in the advertised homes would cost as much as my good, though second-hand, car!

The irony was that the health-centre in question serves what is recognised as one of the poorest areas of a County in which house prices are inflated  beyond local reach partly by the County-mag-types. This post was edited by Durdle at February 17, 2020 2:17 PM MST
      February 17, 2020 10:30 AM MST