Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is Italy our future? 24,000 cases so far and 365 died yesterday. 14,000 cases in Iran. Why did HOAX delay so long dealing with it seriously?

Is Italy our future? 24,000 cases so far and 365 died yesterday. 14,000 cases in Iran. Why did HOAX delay so long dealing with it seriously?

Posted - March 16, 2020

Responses

Well, to look on the bright side, Rosie, you still have far fewer cases per million people than here in the UK, even now you've commenced mass testing . . . and we in turn have far fewer, proportionally, than almost anywhere in continental Western Europe (one of the advantages of having no land border, perhaps?). So my hope is that it will peak at a much lower level, too.

I am not wholly optimistic about the situation in my country, but cases are increasing less fast than I thought they would, so I think there is still a chance we can avoid getting into a lock-down situation. 

March 16, 2020 4:56 PM MDT

What you don't realize is that our testing ability is still weak. We have not reached our peak by a long shot. Doctors don't have the ability to test people. It is estimated that when we do have that ability MILLIONS OF AMERICANS will be tested and found to be infected. No joke. The HOAX spent weeks ridiculing COVID 19 as a Democratic party hoax and kept referring to it as such as did all his braindead adoring worshippers. Some still do. So ZERO was done to prepare for this. What's worse is that with President Barack Obama we had an entire group of folks whose job it was to act if and when a PANDEMIC hit and the HOAX eliminated it. I think in 2018. After all he had to save money somewhere so he could give his obscenely wealthy pals that $1.5 TRILLON tax cut. Be patient. In a few weeks you will see the breathtaking rise in documented cases in the United States no thanks to HOAX who is a useless blob of impotent inept wrongdoing. Trust me on this. We are shutting down our country every day because the people who know absolutely know what is coming. I'm 82 and my Jim is 84. We are in the high risk group and are isolating severely. Thank you for your reply and I won't say "I told you so". I'm saying it now. No one has a more evil ignorant stupid dumb "leader" than  the HOAX. Poor America. So if you have any extra prayers available please say one for us! STAY SAFE. Happy Tuesday Rev! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 17, 2020 2:31 AM MDT
      March 17, 2020 2:30 AM MDT

You could be right...anyway I will remember you and other potentally at-risk Answermuggers in my prayers. The last puja (sung and chanted prayers) at the local Buddhist Centre we dedicated to subduing the coronavirus - and it will be the last one for a while, unless they find a way to webcast them....so let's see what comes of it. Anyway I hope the epidemic in your country doesnt turn out as bad as your predications, and that you keep well.

I'm okay for now, can work from home if necessary, but my family and Ie were supposed to be having a get-together this weekend for my dad and sister-in-law's birthday. I don't think that will happen now, seeing as we all live in different towns and the govt has warned against all non-essential travel. The way I see it, the more we obey their advice and have a voluntary shut-down, the less likely they are to make it compulsory. I'll give my parents a call tonight.

But what I'm hearing about the situation in Iran really is horrific. 15,000 known cases, which some observers believe is a gross underestimate as the country's rulers may be concealing the true numbers out of pride. Given the strikingly high number of public figures who have died of the virus - lawmakers and clerics - this could well be the case. The health service there must really be overwhelmed. 

Anyway, happy Wednesday for tomorrow!
      March 17, 2020 11:18 AM MDT

WASHINGTON (AP)In the course of a few weeks, President Donald Trump veered from confidently assuring Americans his administration had the coronavirus outbreak “very well under control” to declaring a national emergency and tweeting all-caps caution about the pandemic that has upended every facet of American life.

Trump meandered from denial to grudging acceptance, and he seeded conflicting, inaccurate and eyebrow-raising commentary on a country desperate for unvarnished, even shock-to-the-system, guidance.

Throughout the global coronavirus crisis, Trump’s statements have been colored by baseless optimism. Sometimes, his commentary has been flatly wrong. Frequently, it’s been amplified by aides and allies with the help of conservative media.

“It started out with really what can only be described as full-blown denial,” said Brian Ott, a communication studies professor at Texas Tech University who has done extensive research on the president’s social media rhetoric.

Early on, the president downplayed the coronavirus as something similar to the seasonal flu — nothing that Americans should be overly concerned about and something that would quickly pass.

In one of his first substantive public remarks on the virus, during a visit in late January to an auto parts manufacturer in Michigan, Trump acknowledged that the U.S. had seen a smattering of infections but predicted a “very good ending for it.”

“We think we have it very well under control,” Trump told the assembled workers. “We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five. And those people are all recuperating successfully. But we’re working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it’s going to have a very good ending for it. …. That I can assure you.”

The next day the Trump administration said it would suspend entry into the United States by any foreign nationals who had traveled to China in the past 14 days, excluding the immediate family members of U.S. citizens or permanent residents. By then, more than 200 people had died, and nearly 9,800 had been infected worldwide.

Weeks later — on Feb. 25 — his top economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, sought to ease volatile markets by assuring investors that the administration had the virus “contained” and “it was pretty close to airtight.” Kudlow added that coronavirus may be a “human tragedy” but predicted it wouldn’t be an “economic tragedy.” At one point, when the stock market was plunging, he even mentioned the prospect of “buying the dip.”

More here if you have finished vomiting.

March 17, 2020 2:09 PM MDT