Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » MY city is PERFECT. Shouldn't everyone pick up their lives and move HERE?

MY city is PERFECT. Shouldn't everyone pick up their lives and move HERE?

#MyPerfectMovie

Posted - September 25, 2016

Responses

Yes, then traffic, crime, and real estate prices will rise in your city and lower everywhere else.

Thank you for making that sacrafice on our behalf, Mr. B....;-D...

September 25, 2016 8:10 AM MDT

Hello again, Mr:

Let's review, shall we??  I didn't say my city is perfect..  I DID say my city has jobs.  If you want one of 'em, you gotta MOVE..  That's just the facts, Jack.  Now, your city could be quite nice.  But, it doesn't sound like it has jobs..   If you wanna stay, then stay.  But, if there ain't jobs, there AIN'T jobs. 

excon

September 25, 2016 8:14 AM MDT

• YOU ARE RIGHT YOU ARE #1 YOU ARE THE BEST I WILL MOVE TO YOUR CITY AND BUILD SKYSCRAPERS

September 25, 2016 8:18 AM MDT

what about the refugees? Should they move there too? They are a part of everyone...

September 25, 2016 8:18 AM MDT

• Oh, yes. EVERYONE should move here.

September 25, 2016 8:22 AM MDT

Hello again, Mr:

Nahh, you're not..  You're gonna stay on Nojobsville, and complain about it..

excon

September 25, 2016 8:29 AM MDT

• I'm 65 and going to build skyscrapers. I'M COMING FOR YOUR CITY!!!!!!!!!!

September 25, 2016 9:45 AM MDT

@excon -- I think you are guilty of two sins.

1) Taking Bromide way too seriously.

2) Neglecting the inherent friction in labor mobility. Capital can move across the globe at the touch of a few computer keys. Labor (i.e. people) have to box up their stuff, hire a moving vehicle, find a new place to live, close old accounts and start new accounts, make sure kids/pets needs are met, etc., etc., etc.

Yes, life isn't fair and anyone who has to move has to deal with the above. But cavalierly saying, "Well, why don't you move to a town where the jobs are, whiny idiot?" is your own version of the Romney campaign official who suggested poor/urban/ethnic people borrow $20,000 from a family member and start a business to improve their lot in life.

If you don't have an uncle with $20k (or $2k in the bank to cover moving expenses), your advice is worthless and borderline insulting.

September 25, 2016 9:52 AM MDT

Hello again, OS:

Couple things.  Bromide isn't my only reader.

Taking everything you said in stride, I WENT to where the jobs were.  Politics had NOTHING to do with it.  I'm not MAD at Bromide for wanting to stay where he is..  I'm just saying there's a price for doing so..

excon

September 25, 2016 10:09 AM MDT

You live in Seattle ?

I hear-tell that all the men are MEN, all the women are beautiful and all the kids are above average there. I've also heard that the economy is SOOOO good that $100k+/year jobs are just begging to be filled there. Heaven on earth.

September 25, 2016 11:02 AM MDT

You could always move to Maryland or northern Virginia (just outside Beijing on the Potomac). The area has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation, TONS of new jobs "created" by the Obamaconomy.

But then there's the problem recently expressed by the Comptroller of Maryland (and echoed by his counterpart in Virginia) . . . payroll tax collection revenue is down, WAY down in spite of all that new job growth. So all those new jobs don't really pay a "living" wage.

Oh, and if you're over 50 don't expect to be able to find decent employment anywhere either unless you have a very much in demand skillset. Contrary to popular belief there is no legal protection against age discrimination in the USA.

September 25, 2016 11:18 AM MDT

@excon -- And I reiterate my previous point. You had ENOUGH CAPITAL to have the choice to move to "where the jobs are"

If you were stuck living hand-to-mouth paycheck-to-paycheck, it doesn't matter what the "price to be paid" is, you can't afford to avoid it.

I strongly suggest reading Barbara Ehrenreich's book Nickled and Dimed. She spent many months living as a minimum-wage worker and documented many of the impediments (#1: the ability to come up with first and last month's rent as a deposit for rental units) which limit people's ability to "move to where the jobs are."

You are normally much less Blame The Victim than in this instance. I am a bit flummoxed why you seem to have a cognitive blind spot in this area.

September 25, 2016 11:29 AM MDT

Wouldn't it get kind of crowded?

September 25, 2016 12:25 PM MDT

OS,

That is a VERY astute and accurate observation.

I had a discussion with one of the bellhops/valets while staying at the Alana hotel on business about 20-years ago. Seems that he was from one of the Polynesian islands (can't remember which one at the moment) and was drawn to Hawaii by the promise of a better job (he apparently had no options on his home island). When he arrived on Oahu it seems that the "promised" job had evaporated into thin air and he had to find some way to support himself, in this case as a bellhop and parking attendant at that hotel. After a number of years he wanted to go back home as he couldn't find a better job but he could barely manage to eat and keep a roof over his head let alone afford transportation back to his home island. He was trapped.

September 25, 2016 12:47 PM MDT

•   September 25, 2016 2:13 PM MDT

What is your city?

September 25, 2016 3:45 PM MDT

It's very expensive and 100K would support a family of four meagerly.  It's the 8th most expensive city in the country and extremely politically progressive.  I've been there and cut my stay short both times.  Of course, I don't like big cities to start with.  Everything and everywhere was crowded and miserable.  The rents are very high and median home price is high as well.  I highly prefer the sparsely populated coast to Seattle.  I bought a lot over on the coast.  I like Washington State though.

September 25, 2016 4:09 PM MDT

• Ghosttown, USA

September 25, 2016 4:18 PM MDT