Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Britain and Europe reset their clocks every six months to account for daylight saving. Do you know of other places where this practice is followed?

Britain and Europe reset their clocks every six months to account for daylight saving. Do you know of other places where this practice is followed?

Posted - September 25, 2016

Responses

USA does this.
      September 25, 2016 9:03 AM MDT

•   September 25, 2016 9:26 AM MDT

I know of Canada, USA, Fiji, New Zealand. I found this table in Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_by_country
      September 25, 2016 1:27 PM MDT

• Thank you, Sapph.

India is wide enough to have two time zones, yet we have only one. Kolkata (originally Calcutta) in the east is actually almost an hour and a half ahead of Mumbai in the west, and the day there begins and ends that much earlier. So daylight saving would definitely help. But we don't have daylight saving here.

In fact the North Eastern states like Assam, which lie beyond Bangladesh in the East, follow the same time zone as the rest of us, and are a half-hour behind Bangladesh. So if it's 10.00 in Kolkata, it is 10.30 in Bangladesh, and again 10.00 in Assam.

I hope I haven't confused you.

September 25, 2016 3:41 PM MDT

You're welcome, and no I don't think you confused me. I would though have expected different time zones in India. :-)
      September 25, 2016 3:54 PM MDT

• "U.S.A." ... minus Arizona, Hawaii & a county in northern Arkansas.
      October 7, 2016 1:48 PM MDT