Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What's the deal with using the brand name "Acme" to denote something that is generic or of poor quality?

What's the deal with using the brand name "Acme" to denote something that is generic or of poor quality?

Although I'm thinking about the frequent appearance of this name in Looney Tunes cartoons, especially Road Runner, I've seen it elsewhere. Was (or is) it a real company? Where did the name come from? And speaking of cartoons, why didn't the coyote ever catch the road runner?

Posted - April 11, 2020

Responses

I also know it from Road Runner. 
    I do know there is a real company. A factory I worked had electrical components made by this company. It always worked properly when I was there. 
      April 11, 2020 8:31 PM MDT

There were many companies that registered names that begin with Aa, Ab, Ac simply to be in the front of Yellow Page listings.  Many of them actually did business under another name.  My very first job out of high school was with the telephone company in the directory production department.  We laughed at how creative business owners would be to get their phone numbers listed in the As. 
      April 12, 2020 3:22 AM MDT