Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Mentally stable people take the blame for what they say/do. They are accountable/responsible/honorable. Is that a strength/weakness?

Mentally stable people take the blame for what they say/do. They are accountable/responsible/honorable. Is that a strength/weakness?

Do "winners" always lie and shift the blame because they are invincible and never make mistakes or is it the losers who do that? Do you believe in doing/saying "whatever it takes" to win? Is there any line you wouldn't cross to get what you want? What, where, why?

Posted - October 1, 2016

Responses

I reject the premise that accountability has anything to do with mental stability / instability. Humans will take an out when provided one, mentally sound or not. This is a question of character, not psychology.
      October 1, 2016 8:07 AM MDT

• Good point.
    I focused too much on the latter parts of the question.
      October 1, 2016 9:37 AM MDT

You too, maybe I focused too much on the beginning ;)

October 1, 2016 6:34 PM MDT

And what pray tell drives character FNR? Emotion ABSENT mental activity? You are saying that mental stability has nothing to do with mental instability? Why don't you rethink what you just said and see if it makes any sense to you because it makes no sense to me at all. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday.
      October 1, 2016 10:37 AM MDT

Emotion doesn't necessarily drive character, I think ethics are the likely root, I've noted that for many it is simply acting in a manner that corresponds with stated ideals.

I didn't say that, you did. I can't make you understand it, but Others didn't appear to struggle with my thinking. So... Maybe just reread my words.

You're attempting to use a clinical diagnosis to describe what is more likely simple hypocrisy or perhaps cowardice. I reject that outright as the two are mutually exclusive.
      October 1, 2016 6:32 PM MDT

Noted.
      October 2, 2016 3:13 AM MDT

• I count it as a strength.
    Easier to fix a mistake once one has recognized and admitted it.
    It builds trust, and that builds better relationships.

I think if someone tends to deny their responsibility and shift blame, they will soon be found out, and will lose credibility.
    If such a person wins at all, I'm certain they do not remain a winner.

Plus, to be happy one must have a good relationship with oneself: so a clear conscience is a necessity.
      October 1, 2016 8:10 AM MDT

I think being honest always trumps being dishonest. Take responsibility for your words/deeds. They are all on you and acknowledging that is the thing to do. Thank you for your reply hartfire and Happy Saturday! :)
      October 1, 2016 10:38 AM MDT